Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan, urticaria, swelling  (Read 2960 times)

Jaylow

Utrogestan, urticaria, swelling
« on: April 19, 2021, 08:41:16 AM »

Hi, a few weeks back I reduced my estrogel dose with a plan to eventually come off hrt. I was down to 1 pump a day and feeling good. Then 3/4 weeks after this I developed hives which never went away and now I have chronic urticaria.
Last night was my first night this month of utro, I took 1 vaginally. This morning my urticaria has gone through the roof and my face is so swollen you can hardly see my eyes. Last month I didn’t notice a connection with the utro and how bad it was.
I’m not sure if it’s low estrogen causing this or a progesterone / utro intolerance, although I was fine on it for a few years previously. I’m struggling, I can’t sleep with the constant itching. I feel like I just want to be done with the whole regime but I’m scared to change anything again now after last time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan, urticaria, swelling
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 12:36:59 PM »

Ring your GP or visit a Pharmacy ASAP.  It sounds like an allergic reaction - anti-histamines may help but you need to be seen, not a video call but Face2Face. Then let us know.

Jaylow

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 01:49:03 PM »

Thanks for replying. I have hives and swelling every day now so I’m not sure it’s an allergy. Today was particularly bad and it feels like it must be linked to the utro. You’re right though I probably do need to see a gp. That’s something I keep putting off, never seem to get anywhere with gps.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 02:37:47 PM »

Did U ring a Pharmacist for advice, these types of allergic reaction should be checked over  :-\

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 02:52:57 PM »

This morning my urticaria has gone through the roof and my face is so swollen you can hardly see my eyes.
  Hi Jaylow, I agree with CLKD - please do get this checked out without delay.  Either a GP or a pharmacist should look at it for you PDQ.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 03:15:18 PM »

You need to get this checked out now before other swelling happens such as your tongue. Each time you use the substance that is causing the allergy the immune system ramps up further. Don't wait.

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 03:25:04 PM »

Agree with the above. Just to add you stop taking utrogeston until you've been seen.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 03:31:34 PM »

Good point sheila. It's called angioedema if you want to look it up. The NHS site has details.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 07:57:56 PM »

R U still alive Jaylow?

Jaylow

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »

I am, I’m calling docs again tomorrow as there were no appts left this afternoon. I’ll update soon.
What’s worrying me is how I’ll know what is causing it. It seems like progesterone now but lowering my estrogen started it off :-\

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 07:50:31 AM »

Phew!  Why wait  :-\

Jaylow

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 09:24:51 PM »

Update

I called gp, was given a telephone appt. Further to that I was told to go to docs for a face to face appt. Last minute they called me to say the gp was not prepared to see me as my symptoms could be covid. I was send to hospital to a make shift hut on a car park at hospital. So there, I told the lady who saw me that my symptoms appeared shortly after lowering my hrt. She immediately brushed that off and said it won’t be that.
She said it was hives and angioedema and said I was sounding a bit wheezy so sent me to another dept. 5 hours later I was on my way home with no answers but with a clear chest x ray.
1 month later and I still have hives and swelling. The hives have slightly got less on some days, but my breathing and coughing has got worse. I’ve called docs again and had a few phone appts with them. I now have an inhaler which helps slightly but my chest feels compressed, it kind of feels like my lungs are sealing together and and won’t open up when I breathe in. If I breathe in more than a shallow breath I cough. I get palpitations at the same time that my chest feels heavy. I’m not getting much sleep due to coughing and itching.
I still have no idea what’s going on but it seems like histamine related and I’m back to thinking that it still may be hormone related.

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 09:37:33 AM »

Oh Jaylow that sounds horrible.  So sorry you've not got anywhere after the various appts.  Wondering whether, if you haven't seen/listened to them before, the attached links might help you work out whether it is indeed a histamine problem.

https://d2931px9t312xa.cloudfront.net/menopausedoctor/files/information/472/Histamine%20Intolerance%20addition.pdf

https://lizearlewellbeing.com/podcasts-videos/histamine-intolerance-with-dr-tina-peers/

The Dr Tina Peers podcast is quite long but very interesting.  There are also threads on MM about histamine intolerance.  A member called RebJT (I think) is very knowledgeable if you want to PM her or search for her posts.

Good luck with getting to the bottom of it.
Wx

Jaylow

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 11:45:53 AM »

Thank you very much I will check those links out.

Wrensong

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 01:48:50 PM »

Bless you Jaylow.  Don't like the thought of you having to deal with this without proper support & not knowing what the cause is.  Wondering whether Allergy UK might be able to advise on next step if you contact them:-

https://www.allergyuk.org

You could also perhaps start a thread asking advice from other members who use inhalers?  I've been lucky never to need one, so have no idea what to expect in your situation. 

Maybe 111 can advise if you are concerned about your breathing & your GP is not helping much.
W x