Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vaginal utrogestan?  (Read 2605 times)

Gilla999

Vaginal utrogestan?
« on: April 22, 2021, 01:02:28 PM »

I'm about to start giving HRT a go for the second time - the first time wasn't really a proper shot and only lasted 10 days! My biggest problem was the Utrogestan side effects and I understand it's possible to have vaginal Utrogestan instead and that this can lessen side effects. I had a few questions related to it!

Is it the case that it tends to lower side effects vaginally?
Is it the same product just inserted vaginally or is it a separate product?
Is the dosage different vaginally? I think from memory I was taking 100mg orally
Do GPs prescribe it vaginally or would I need to pay to see my gynae again?

Thanks! x
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:36:59 PM by Gilla999 »

sheila99

Re: Vaginal utrogestan?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 07:30:38 PM »

It's the same so no need for a different prescription. Yes, fewer side effects though I still get fatigue. The manufacturer says it's the same dose, newsonhealth thinks you can halve it. You could consider long cycle sequi to give you more 'good' time if you still have side effects.

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 06:00:36 AM »

Thank you Sheila, that's really helpful. Am i right in thinking long cycle sequential is 3 months?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 04:38:18 PM »

As sheila99.... I also get fatigue when on that phase.

Long cycle should really be called "longer" cycle ie anything longer than the usual 28 day or sometimes monthly cycle. 3 months would be the maximum but I don't know anyone who has a cycle as long as this and probably would not be possible with higher doses of oestrogen due to build up of the womb lining.

My cycle is "longer" cycle and usually 6 weeks from start of progesterone to start of next cycle of prog.

Also it is only recommended if you are post-menopausal or maybe very late peri due to potential for breakthrough bleeding. Downside of having a cycle is still bleeding as you head into older age!

Hurdity x

Gilla999

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 05:54:34 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, I have actually been reading some of your previous posts on this topic since posting this message, they were very helpful! I've been diagnosed as early menopause (I'm 42) though I was still having periods so I think the phrase is slightly inaccurate - I'm peri. I'm trying to work out what would be the best cycle length to go for as in general I'm not good with progesterone. Do you think 6 weeks is too long for someone who is peri menopausal, with 100mcg estriadol.  Would i be likely to have breakthrough bleeding? I do understand much of it is trial and error - just trying to work out a place to start from and keen to take the least amount of prog I need to!

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 07:22:07 PM »

I've always had a 6 week cycle so I stuck to that. My own cycle is always stronger than the hrt one so I bleed when my body decides regardless of where I am in the hrt cycle. So better to fit the hrt into your own cycle if you can - I know it's difficult in peri when it can be so variable.

Gilla999

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 06:15:33 AM »

Thanks Sheila! I'll give 6 weeks a go as a first trial then and see how I get on. A bit of bleeding doesn't bother me, it's more the hormonal swings that I want to try to avoid!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 10:25:21 AM »

Thank you Hurdity, I have actually been reading some of your previous posts on this topic since posting this message, they were very helpful! I've been diagnosed as early menopause (I'm 42) though I was still having periods so I think the phrase is slightly inaccurate - I'm peri. I'm trying to work out what would be the best cycle length to go for as in general I'm not good with progesterone. Do you think 6 weeks is too long for someone who is peri menopausal, with 100mcg estriadol.  Would i be likely to have breakthrough bleeding? I do understand much of it is trial and error - just trying to work out a place to start from and keen to take the least amount of prog I need to!

Re breakthrough bleeding - it depends how strong and regular your natural cycle is still  as per my previous post. If it is only occasional then you may be less likely to get breakthrough bleeding due to your natural cycle, on a 6 week regime. However if you are early peri and your natural cycle is eg 4-6 weeks most months then you may well get more unpredictable bleeding.

I'll give 6 weeks a go as a first trial then and see how I get on. A bit of bleeding doesn't bother me, it's more the hormonal swings that I want to try to avoid!

Sounds like a plan - keep us updated!

Hurdity x

Robin

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »

Hi Gilla,

I have a 3 month cycle but I do have occasional scans just to check things are ok. I’ve been on this regime for a few years now and so far everything is ok. I’m not suggesting this is necessarily the right thing for you but it is possible with a supportive doctor. Difficult to find I know

Gilla999

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 07:35:52 PM »

Thanks ladies this was very helpful. I think it probably makes most sense to do either 4 or 5 weeks to fit my natural cycle. If I really can't tolerate the Prog then perhaps I'll try to extend it. Thanks again for the help x