Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 2469 times)

Glam-ma

• First Flush
Utrogestan
« on: April 09, 2021, 04:16:02 PM »

Advice please. I'm 53 been menopausl for 4 to 5 years. (No periods for 4 years)
I'm trying to start HRT, been prescribed estrogel and utrogestan,  I've heard you can use utrogestan internally?
My gp says No it can causes cancer using it that way and it's not licenced to use that way. I know it is not licenced to use like this BUT I don't want any side effects from the utrogestan....
I suffer anxiety and over think everything, I'm sick of feeling rubbish . Hot flushes, night sweats, anger, etc.

Any advice on how to use internally and at what dose . If I take orally it's daily for  25 days, 1 tablet a day 100 mg.
Thank you 😊

sheila99

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:07:17 PM »

Your gp is right it isn't licensed for vaginal use in the UK but it is in the rest of Europe. She's wrong about the cancer. Push it up as far as you can just before you go to bed. The manufacturer thinks it should be the same dose, newsonhealth thinks you can halve it (so every other day if conti).

Glam-ma

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 06:51:40 PM »

Your gp is right it isn't licensed for vaginal use in the UK but it is in the rest of Europe. She's wrong about the cancer. Push it up as far as you can just before you go to bed. The manufacturer thinks it should be the same dose, newsonhealth thinks you can halve it (so every other day if conti).

Thank you for relying,  ;)
I've been worrying about this for weeks. So i can use the progesterone every other night.?  I would prefer this.
Should I use the estrogel at night?
X

Star55

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:10:09 PM »

I've just started on this combination too! I've to use 2 pumps estrogen either at night or in the morning and I was given 100mg utrogestan to take every night. I asked my GP if I could use it vaginally as I wanted to avoid any possible stomach upset. She said it's not licensed but if I want to then just use 100mg every second day. I too haven't had a period for 4 years. Were you advised to use the utrogestan but have a break? I've to take it continuously?

Glam-ma

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:12:30 PM »

Hi
I was told to use it for 25 days, but not internally! My gp will not recognise this way of using it.

If I use internally should I be having a scan done after 6 months etc. Gosh it come to something when you have to get medical help from a forum.... Not sure what's going on with Gp at the moment!!

Star55

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 10:44:54 PM »

Mine never mentioned scans, just a review in 3 months.
You'd think that all gp's would give the same advice, especially seeing as we're similar ages, I'm 50, but my period stopped around 4 or 5 years ago too.
I haven't started the utrogestan yet, think I'll give it a go tonight 🙄

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 08:06:05 AM »

You're unlikely to get a routine scan on the nhs, usually only for unexpected bleeding etc. You can arrange your own privately if you're worried. This is the thing that bothers me about the newsonhealth advice to halve the dose if used vaginally. She treats people privately so presumably they have scans. The manufacturer says the same dose as oral and you would expect them to have done more thorough testing. Maybe there are a few people who need the higher dose to keep the lining thin. Or maybe not, I don't know.

Sophie20

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 11:56:50 AM »

Sheila99 I have considered lowering my dose of cyclogest, but like you mentioned I need to know how that effects the womb lining.  How often do you think women have scans when they are on private regimes?  I tend to think once a year isn't enough?

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 01:24:00 PM »

I get mine on the nhs so I don't know. Maybe after the first 6 months then annually if no thickening found? But I'm guessing. On low dose oestrogen the reduced progesterone dose is probably safe but the higher the dose the greater the need to check.

Glam-ma

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 02:37:30 PM »

Mine never mentioned scans, just a review in 3 months.
You'd think that all gp's would give the same advice, especially seeing as we're similar ages, I'm 50, but my period stopped around 4 or 5 years ago too.
I haven't started the utrogestan yet, think I'll give it a go tonight 🙄

Have you been using estrogel?
No mine never mentioned it either but I think if you go private then you get scanned,
So should I use internally for 25 days or every other day ?

Glam-ma

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 02:39:15 PM »

I've just started on this combination too! I've to use 2 pumps estrogen either at night or in the morning and I was given 100mg utrogestan to take every night. I asked my GP if I could use it vaginally as I wanted to avoid any possible stomach upset. She said it's not licensed but if I want to then just use 100mg every second day. I too haven't had a period for 4 years. Were you advised to use the utrogestan but have a break? I've to take it continuously?

Perfect, I think I'll use internally every other day. I'm gonna start tomorrow night.
I'll use a pump of estrogel am then this pm.
Thank you xx

Star55

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 06:59:29 PM »

How did you get on? I haven't started it yet, I've got my second covid vaccine next Tuesday so I'm going to wait until after that so that I know if I get side effects from the vaccine or the utrogestan!

Glam-ma

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 09:21:38 PM »

How did you get on? I haven't started it yet, I've got my second covid vaccine next Tuesday so I'm going to wait until after that so that I know if I get side effects from the vaccine or the utrogestan!

I've not started this yet!. Xx

Lizzieb60

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 09:52:26 PM »

I have been using oestrogel and utrogestan for many years this way, using the utro as a pessary on alternate nights.  I recently had to have a hysteroscopy following an unrelated cyst and polyp investigation and the womb lining a little thicker than normal for post-meno.  I asked the consultant if I should increase the utro in the light of this and he said the aim was not to get the lining thinner, but to check that all was well - which thankfully it was.  I have been wondering recently about swapping to patches because of the faff of waiting for the gel to dry every morning but I believe utrogestan is meant to be the most natural form of progesterone so I am now leaning towards the old adage of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it as up to now the regime has served me well.

Sammiejane

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 12:20:36 AM »

lizzieb60

have you had hair shedding on this combination ?? estrogel and utrogestan
i was on this and suffered hair shedding 2 years

i’ve changed to a patch but i don’t think it’s working as well as have flushes now
Pages: [1] 2