Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Any older ladies taking natural remedies?  (Read 2155 times)

flutterby

Any older ladies taking natural remedies?
« on: April 07, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »

Hi I’m 68 years old, I was on HRT for 16 years. I’ve been of it for four and half years and was foolishly hoping that the hot flushes but mainly the night sweats would be starting to diminish by now.
I’ve not tried anything recently but was wondering about Menopace night or Promensil. Couldn’t find anything specific for ladies my age taking these products. Wondered if anyone could help.
Thanks Flutterby x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any older ladies taking natural remedies?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 07:33:08 PM »

There are threads about menopace by doing a search. 

Cazikins

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:15:56 AM »

Hi flutterby  :parti: :parti:
I came off HRT for 3 months at the beginning of this year & it was a disaster. Hot flushes mainly were the worse (like you), got fed up & went back on it. I am only taking 1/2 tablet of low dose Femoston but it is just enough to stop the flushes.
I think I may have tried Menopace years ago but if I did it didn't do anything for me. I know I tried quite a few back in the early days (2007) blimey is it that long ago I've been going through this  :sigh:
Maybe have a look at the Alternatives section to see if there is anything that might help you there.
So sorry you're not getting any relief after all this time - what you need is a good holiday, somewhere nice like the Alps... oh I wish.
All joking aside this is such a horrid time anyway at the moment & with so much uncertainty in the world is it any wonder we are finding things difficult to cope with.
I hope you get some answers flutterby.
Love Cazikins xxx  :cat48: :cat48: :cat48: xxx

There are threads about menopace by doing a search. 

CLKD - flutterby has said she tried doing a product search but couldn't find any ladies in a similar situation (age etc).

Beaker

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 09:55:20 AM »

Hi CLKD I notice that you often advise people to search for the topic they are asking about. 
Just to let you know, I find that the search function on this forum doesn't appear to work very well. 
For instance I put melatonin into the search box and got the message "(sorry, no matches were found)".
However I know people have discussed melatonin before and did manage to find their posts by trawling through the forum.
Of course this could be just me and my ancient laptop  ::) but it might be the case for others too. 
flutterby, I would advise you to try the "alternative therapies" threads under the Menopause Discussion forum - there are various alternatives discussed there if you look through all the threads.
I have tried Promensil and Menopace night before.  I was on HRT for 6-7 years.  I found neither were great, although Menopace Night did help me to sleep a bit better.  But not enough that I continued with it.
Best of luck!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 12:41:50 PM »

It may be your ancient laptop or 4 those using a mobile phone.  Sorry  :-\

Also: what is meant by 'older'.  There is no legal specification for 'elderly'  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 01:31:14 PM »

Hi Beaker. Did you tick the search all threads box?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 03:26:49 PM »

There are several threads going back a few years on menopace.  Sometimes I have to vary what words I put into the search box - occasionally it doesn't give me what I think ought to be there  ::)

Beaker

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »

Hi Taz,

no - there's no option to search all threads on my computer  ???

I've discovered I can get around it by Googling what I am looking for and adding "menopausematters" to the search term and all references from these boards come up there 8)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 02:28:36 PM »

Do you find what you are looking 4?

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 03:08:39 PM »

Hi Flutterby, sorry I can't come up with any alternative remedies but just wanted to say you have my sympathies.  I had a decade+ of nightmarish symptoms before starting HRT well postmenopause & now back on it after a long break, though life is certainly better for it, getting way too hot at night seems to be one thing I just can't crack - 16 years on from first symptoms. 

I take up a pile of refrigerated HWBs every night & leave by the bed until I start to overheat then pull one in.  When that gets warm from my body heat I sling it out & use another.  Also bought a 1-tog Duvet from Dunelm & never have more than a 2.5 tog on, even mid-Winter.  Whatever the tog, I still end up doing the duvet hokey-cokey most nights.  We keep the bedroom cool, sleep with windows open, use a big oscillating fan in summer & I have a large glass of cold water by the bed.  I make sure to stay cool in the evening before I go up to bed too.  Not through having too much of my own padding, as I'm underweight!  It's a pain isn't it, as it wrecks sleep & that makes you feel rotten when it goes on long term.

I remember seeing my Mum flush when she was well into her late 60s.  She was postmenopause at 46 & never took HRT.  I think unfortunately for some of us it can just go on & on. 

I'm sure you know some women find certain antidepressants help with vasomotor symptoms, but that may be something you prefer not to consider.

I do hope you manage to find some relief.  Please let us know how you get on.

Hi Beaker, search facility often doesn't work for me either, so thanks for sharing how you get round it.

Wx

suzysunday

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 03:23:44 PM »

Yes search facility is a bit erratic.

flutterby

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »

Thank you so much for your replies and empathy. I have been coming onto this site on and off for many years and always received helpful advice, I was pleased when I could helps someone as well. I thought it was good to see some ladies on here from years ago but not good to hear they’re still suffering 😢
Cazikins is spot on - a holiday in the mountains would definitely help
Will be definitely reacquainting myself with the site later especially alternative therapies
Flutterby x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »

I'll fire up the charabanc: Italian Alps, here we come  8)