Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estrogen and utrogestan  (Read 1326 times)

Star55

Estrogen and utrogestan
« on: April 08, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »

Hi, looking for advice/opinions please I'm 50, definitely post menopausal,no periods for 4 years. GP has prescribed 2 pumps estrogel and 100mg utrogestan per day. I'm hoping these will reduce my  awkward digestive symptoms (Ibs like) I've been told to take the utrogestan orally but have read on here it's possible to take vaginally. GP is ok with this, but said just take it every second day if doing that :what sort of side effects have others had? I thought maybe taking it internally might stop it upsetting my stomach?
Also I've noticed from other posts that it's normal to take a break but I've to take continuously, anyone else? I assume this is because I'm post menopausal?

sheila99

Re: Estrogen and utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 09:38:45 PM »

Taking a break will allow a bleed if there is any build up. Using it vaginally should avoid any digestive issues so IMO would be a good idea. The manufacture says the dose is the same (100mg daily) though newsonhealth says you can use it every other day. I get fatigue on it (200mg x 12 days vaginally) so for this reason I will continue with a long cycle in meno. Do you other meno symptoms? Bear in mind it's possible your digestive problems may not be meno related.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:21:06 AM by sheila99 »

Star55

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 10:59:51 PM »

Thanks, GP didn't tell me to take a break. I thought this was because I've not had a period for about 4 years. Symptoms wise it's probably just hot flushes. But the digestive problems I think started maybe 4 years before period stopped and have got worse over the last year, I had to have a hip replacement last year and have problems with the knee on the opposite side. also not sleeping well over the last yearThere's so many things that could be related to menopause/hormones. The GP suggested it so Im thinking she thinks it might help.
I think I'd be inclined to try it vaginally in the hope it would avoid upsetting my stomach!

Dougalina

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:35:21 AM »

Hi starr55

I attend the Newsin clinic, and I've been told it's not necessary to take a break on the conti regime. I take it all the time, and my last scan showed endometrial lining of 1.3 mm, so it seems to work okay for me, although I realise we are all different.

I tried using vaginally, but got horrible cramping, so it's not an option for me, unfortunately, and yes, my digestive system is all over the place now.  :-\

D .

Star55

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:14:03 PM »

Hi Dougalina, has your digestive system been worse since menopause or due to the hrt?
I'm hoping it's going to help my stomach my make it worse!

Dougalina

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 07:30:18 AM »

Hi star55

I'd say my digestive problems definitely coincide with taking HRT. I have ibs-d most of the time. I can't eat oats anymore, and fibre exacerbates the problem.

In the last 3 years ( been taking hrt for that time) I've had a colonoscopy and two endoscopys).

D.

Star55

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »

I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago, all clear, I've had a ct scan also clear. I've got a 5cm ovarian cyst which I thought might be causing my issues but gynae are not concerned!
Did it take you a while to recover from the colonoscopy? I felt rubbish for about a fortnight.
I think my digestive problems started when I was around 42 ish, but worse over the last year so I'm hoping the extra oestrogen will help!