Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unexpected bleed following vaccine  (Read 4517 times)

Elizabeta

Unexpected bleed following vaccine
« on: April 08, 2021, 10:42:38 AM »

Hello all. I take Oestradiol and Utrogestan. I had.my first jab of Astra Zeneca and seven days later started to spot - now almost a full on period. Likely just coincidence, but anyone else had similar? Wondering if the vaccine interfered in the get in some way? I'm 53 and well past normal periods. Doctor is sending me for ultrasound, but I'm just curious if there might be a link. Doctor immediately dismissed such a connection

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Unexpected bleed following vaccine
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 12:42:34 PM »

I would fill in the Yellow Card system and send it off.  Keep a diary too ;-). Any information will be useful for research about C-19 etc. down the line.

Happygolucky

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 12:54:57 PM »

Hi Elizabeth
I've just joined the forum and your post caught my eye. My menopause is just starting so no treatment as yet. I tick most if the boxes apparently! Anyway, I had first AstraZeneca vaccine on 19th February and a few days later I took a period from hell. Very heavy bleeding, full of clots (yuck). Had to go to A&E because it was so heavy. Dr gave me tranexamic acid tablets which helped but didn't seem bothered that I'd just had vaccine, just put it down to possible menopause. I'm very pro vaccine to get us out of this pandemic but also extremely worried about the research side into different conditions. I filled in the online Yellow Card to report adverse reactions.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 02:08:46 PM »

More people die from the effects of long haul flights  ;)

Elizabeta

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:16:22 PM »

More people die from the effects of long haul flights  ;)

That's not really the point though. I don't expect to die from an unexpected bleed, just interested to know whether others have had a similar reaction as I considered the vaccine may have interfered with hrt in some way. Not trying to scare monger, just get responses from women who may have had a.similar experience - not least because I now need to have an ultrasound in case.something more sinister at play.

Elizabeta

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:18:24 PM »

Hi Elizabeth
I've just joined the forum and your post caught my eye. My menopause is just starting so no treatment as yet. I tick most if the boxes apparently! Anyway, I had first AstraZeneca vaccine on 19th February and a few days later I took a period from hell. Very heavy bleeding, full of clots (yuck). Had to go to A&E because it was so heavy. Dr gave me tranexamic acid tablets which helped but didn't seem bothered that I'd just had vaccine, just put it down to possible menopause. I'm very pro vaccine to get us out of this pandemic but also extremely worried about the research side into different conditions. I filled in the online Yellow Card to report adverse reactions.

I read that some Israeli women have reported unusual periods following vaccine, but of course could all be coincidence. Hope you are ok.x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 08:14:42 PM »

Interesting side effect.  Inconvient too!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 01:41:29 PM »

I didn't sleep until the early hours and this topic got me thinking.

I was on The Pill for many years.  I had break-through bleeding when I used 'beconase' nasal spray for allergy relief.  When I stopped, the break-through bleeding stopped.

Elizabeta

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 02:34:13 PM »

Oh sorry your sleep was poor! That's interesting. Inevitable that some medicines might interfer with each other.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 03:13:17 PM »

Oh not really a problem.  I have two new greenhouse-thingies so my brain was in over drive as to what seeds I need to buy  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 08:09:42 AM »

'infertile' ?  or would they miss a few cycles until the antibody reactions lessened?  It's interesting to see how different medications affect different people and how some meds have been found to assist in conditions that they weren't designed for.  Every comment adds to the on-going research.

Grheliz1

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 08:17:18 AM »

I'm posting this from an NHS site.

FACTSHEET: COVID-19 vaccines and your fertility
Medical experts and scientists agree that it is not possible for the vaccines to affect fertility.

The vaccines protect people from becoming seriously ill or dying from Covid-19. If you are at risk from Covid-19, it is very important that you get protected and have your vaccine when it is offered.

There have been a lot of rumours that the vaccines could affect fertility but these are not true.

Here’s why:

There is no scientific process by which the vaccines could affect women’s fertility.
Like all vaccines, the covid-19 vaccines teach your body to fight the disease and to develop antibodies to do this. They do not have any ingredients that would affect fertility and the components leave the body within a few days.
There is no evidence to support the theory that immunity to the spike protein could lead to fertility problems. Most people who contract COVID-19 will develop antibodies to the spike and there has not been any evidence of fertility problems in people who have had COVID-19.
It is standard practice for new medicines not to be recommended for pregnant women or those planning a pregnancy when they are first issued. Now that more data is available, the independent body responsible for assessing the safety of vaccines (the Joint Committee for Vaccinations & Immunisations), has updated its advice and says there is no need for women to delay pregnancy after having either vaccine.
What the experts say
Kate Heighway – Lead Midwife at Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Trust “There is no evidence of either vaccine having any impact on fertility, or any reason to suggest they could. I would encourage everyone who is offered the vaccine to take up that offer. It’s safe and gives you the best protection against the virus.”

The British Fertility Society and Association of Reproductive and Clinical Scientists:
“There is absolutely no evidence, and no theoretical reason, that any of the vaccines can affect the fertility of women or men.”

Dr Edward Morris, president of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists

“We want to reassure women that there is no evidence to suggest that COVID-19 vaccines will affect fertility. There is no biologically plausible mechanism by which current vaccines would cause any impact on women’s fertility. Evidence has not been presented that women who have been vaccinated go on to have fertility problems.”

Dr Gayatri Amirthalingam, Consultant, Public Health England, National Immunisation Team:

“Studies have shown that, like other vaccines, once you are vaccinated the components of this vaccine travel to your lymph glands and within a matter of days there are removed as waste products from your body. And so there is no mechanism by which this vaccine could affect your current or future fertility.”

Professor Chris Whitty, Chief Medical Officer for England:

“There is no evidence of any of the vaccines having any impact on fertility, and it would be surprising if any of them did do. This is not an area where people should be concerned.”

Iris67

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 08:36:31 AM »

'There is no evidence' is a very specific term in medicine. The kind of thing that would constitute evidence would have to be a hefty a set of trials to prove there was a link. It is a bit disingenuous to say this because when doctors say 'there is no evidence' most people assume it has been considered, tested and found to be untrue. It just means they haven't done the research fully into that specific consideration.  And what is the definition here of fertility? It is certainly true that it wouldn't affect fertility in the sense that it would make anyone infertile. But women are talking about bleeding events which is slightly different.

I am pro-vaccine. It has been recommended for all and we should take it, but women (and it is always women) are being treated like they are paranoid or don't know their own bodies. It has been acknowledged that it is a disease of the blood vessels, not of the lungs as previously stated. There could well be a link. I have a clotting disorder, I was cautioned over the vaccine.

It is early days and these events need to be taken seriously, but without hysteria. Doctors don't want the medical equivalent of the loo roll panic buying.... People are driven further into their beliefs if they are not validated.

I used to be a medical lawyer and I have seen far too many 'certainties' proved wrong by doctors. Women just want to be heard and validated. They will still take the vaccine.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 09:33:55 AM »

Morning Iris - did U write the book yet ;-) ?

There hasn't been time with C-19 pandemic to attempt double blind trials ......... as long as every report is investigated without hysteria, eventually there will be more informed guidelines regarding what might and what does happen.  Which is why the yellow card system is important?

Goosieloosie

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 10:07:59 AM »

How strange I should come across this thread....I actually came onto the site to ask for advice about my heavy bleed and I came across this....I had my first vaccine 4 week's ago and today is day one of my bleed and the pain....omg & it's heavy and very red. I'm 59 & I'm 6 & half year's post Meno, been on HRT for 5 & half years and the utrogestan/estradot/evorel regime cycle) for 5 yrs without any major issues and today I'm having such cramps, I was worried enough to come on here and ask for advice. I know I've had the occasional heavy bleed and cramps on & off over the year's on this regime but it seemed to have settled the older I get/longer I've been on it until today. Any advice? I am wondering if it could be anything to do with the vaccine?
Pages: [1] 2