Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unexpected bleed - in a bit of a state  (Read 4453 times)

applejack

Unexpected bleed - in a bit of a state
« on: April 07, 2021, 08:45:39 PM »

Hi

about 8 weeks ago I messed up my Utrogestan dose and got a rather long drawn out dose of spotting which sorted itself out after a couple of weeks and I've been very diligent since then. As people on here reassured me - it was triggered by the missed dose and I learned my lesson.

However, I'm spotting again, and this time there's no explanation. I've not missed a dose in the 8 weeks since the original bleed cleared up so there is no reason this should have happened again.  I'm on continuous utrogestan 100 + evorel 50 patch.  I'm well into menopause and have been taking HRT for over 2 years.

I have phoned the doc to arrange a scan but she's not around until next week, so in the meantime I've got myself into an enormous state of anxiety.  Short of something awful causing this, are there any reasonable explanations why someone who has been on HRT as long as I have would suddenly start spotting? I'm so worried about it I'm almost too scared to go to the loo because I dread seeing signs of spotting.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Unexpected bleed - in a bit of a state
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:05:11 AM »

Morning.  Could it be your own hormones joining in and over-riding the HRT?

Is the blood bright red = fresh?  Could you have a polyp which will bleed on contact?

applejack

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 12:26:51 PM »

Would my hormones do that after all this time? I'm 56 and a fair few years into menopause.

It looks fresh, just a pink/red tinge in mucus (sorry to be graphic)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 12:37:46 PM »

Nothing is too graphic.

Do U still have your womb?  Hormones can certainly have a party, however, you could ask for a scan to see if the lining is within normal limits.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:48:39 PM »

Hormones can still produce a bleed because you're taking additional oestrogen. Any post menopausal bleeding should always be investigated though just to check everything is OK. It could be a polyp or fibroid.

applejack

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 10:12:01 PM »

Yes, I still have my womb.  Still smearing this evening, it's brown, dark red, pink, so it's going for the full spectrum by the looks of it.

Thanks everyone.  I got through to the doc today on econsult which seems very efficient - second time I've used it over lockdown and it's been very good.

She says that because it falls under "postmenopausal bleed" it gets a fast referral. So I've already got blood tests booked and within two weeks I will have a scan, then a gynae consultation to discuss the results, so at least there will be some resolution soon.

Slightly disconcerted though - fast referral makes me think it's something bad.

menomope

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 08:16:05 PM »

All postmenopausal bleeds get fast tracked so a scan within two weeks.
I  had bleeding so was scanned within two weeks. Worried myself sick but was ok in the end.
Try not to worry too much- I know its easier said than done

Nina123

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »

Hi applejack your doing the right thing getting it checked out & the sooner the better. I’m 58 and was still having periods on & off (late menopause) but then I  started spotting on Boxing Day which was unusual for me and it wasn’t stopping. Dr sent me for ultrasound scan which should a thickened uterus lining of 11mm & a suspected polyp. I was then referred to gynaecologist for a hysteroscopy (camera in womb) where they removed the polyp & took a biopsy they also inserted a Mirena Coil which is progesterone only iud to help reduce the thickening of the womb lining. Fast forward to 10 days received letter to go back to see gynaecologist, & was told biopsy showed complex hyperplasia with aytipia. Hyperplasia is a term which basically means your uterus is thickened and can be managed with progesterone like the Mirena Coil, however with Aytipia that means there are pre cancerous cells  and the course of action is a total hysterectomy (which I am having this Wednesday).  I also had an MRI scan with the injected contrast dye which was all clear 😀

So it is always best to err on the side of caution and get things checked. Most likely there’s a simple explanation and everything will be fine, but it’s when we don’t look after ourselves issues arise. Don’t anyone be put off by a lockdown either. Mine started on Boxing Day and in under four months I have had GP (phone appointments) blood tests, ultrasound scans, Hysteroscopy, MRI scan, chest x-ray and surgery booked. Please take care of yourself  & good luck. XXX 😘

applejack

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 11:33:19 AM »

Oh my goodness! So glad you got that caught quickly and good luck on Wednesday, hope all goes well.

Thanks for the replies. Still really worried but from whatyou're all saying looks like everything is being done as quickly as possible so will keep my fingers well and truly crossed.

Cazikins

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 12:21:23 PM »

So it is always best to err on the side of caution and get things checked. Most likely there’s a simple explanation and everything will be fine, but it’s when we don’t look after ourselves issues arise. Don’t anyone be put off by a lockdown either. Mine started on Boxing Day and in under four months I have had GP (phone appointments) blood tests, ultrasound scans, Hysteroscopy, MRI scan, chest x-ray and surgery booked. Please take care of yourself  & good luck. XXX 😘

Good advice Nina123. I also started bleeding just before Christmas (I'm 63) & my G.P. referred me under
 the 2 week rule for P.M.B. Got seen on the 4/01/21 by gynae who said my lining was 8.1mm & a possible cancer. I had a hysteroscopy at the end of Jan & it turned out to be a polyp which was removed on the same day.
Yes it was a very scary time for me but I had to have it checked out & sorted ASAP. The NHS are still functioning & doing a brilliant job under the circumstances. Fingers crossed for you applejack & good luck on Wednesday Nina for your hysterectomy.

Love Cazikins xx

Nina123

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 01:05:54 PM »

Cazikins, thank you for your good wishes, glad all was well with you, and this is the case in most situations but always better to be checked out. You are 100% right the NHS are doing great  and people should remember they are open and there for you, so please don’t be afraid to use them!! Xxx

Cazikins

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 03:27:28 PM »

Indeed they are Nina, I felt in safe hands & never vulnerable.  :)

Deeble

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 08:44:49 AM »

Hi applejack
Very good that you are getting this checked out and fast tracked.
I was in a similar position around Christmas- missed hrt tabs/spotting. This persisted although I was taking hrt tabs without fail by then. Fast tracked for scan on 6 Jan which showed area of over 8mm so booked in for hysteroscopy and biopsy on 15 Jan.  Results came on 26 Jan! All benign. Big relief. So it was all very fast, caring staff and efficient. If there is a problem it can be dealt with, as Nina123 has described.

Nina123
Sending you very best wishes for tomorrow. Will be thinking of you and wishing you well. X

applejack

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »

Thank you, Deeble

I have to admit I'm veering between feeling ok and just being very, very scared and sick to my stomach. Find myself shaking.

Now booked in for the scan next monday as well as the blood tests in two days time.  Still spotting.

If this proves to be nothing may just come off HRT. I don't want to go through this again

Grheliz1

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »

I have had a similar pathway to Nina's (good luck tomorrow, Nina!), with bleeding starting about three months into me starting HRT. I was told I'd probably be best having a hysterectomy. But repeated hysteroscopies have concluded that my hyperplasia is probably typical, so can be 'treated' with a Mirena, which was inserted just before Christmas.

Each time I have had a hysteroscopy, polyps have been removed. I am now on a six-month repeat for my next hysteroscopy as they are more confident that the Mirena is sorting everything out. It seems Utrogestan just couldn't control my endometrium as well as it usually does for most women.

So good that you are checking it out. Don't be too quick to come off HRT. This is frightening, I know, but just remember all the other benefits of HRT, too. I'm glad I stayed on as I feel probably the best I've felt for years now, on the Mirena and Oestrogel. 
Pages: [1] 2