Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause start late 30s - HRT advice  (Read 1306 times)

kjsm81

Perimenopause start late 30s - HRT advice
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:25:32 PM »

Hi all, new here and hoping for advice!

I’ve had hormonal issues for years which I always put down to my endometriosis. I had surgery for endo 4 years ago and then more recently have found a combined pill that has worked for all the other symptoms. About two years ago (I would have been 37/38) I started getting night sweats, GP ran blood tests to rule out anything sinister, nothing showed up so I put it down to my messed up hormones and just tried to get on with it.

This winter past has been horrific though - I’ve gone from being someone who changes to a heavy winter duvet, fleece pjs and an electric blanket, to someone who even on the coldest nights slept in summer pjs, summer duvet on bed, and window open to let in cooler air! I’ve also started to get increasing headaches, acne, breakthrough bleeding, am tired and irritable a lot of the time. Have just felt that pill is no longer working to control my hormones. Back to GP - bloods taken again and this time I’m told estrogen is lower than it should be, and this combined with other symptoms, suggests I’m peri menopausal. I have a feeling I probably have been for a few years now - at least 2 or 3.

GP discussed HRT with me and has left it with me to think about more and come back if I decide to start it. I’m a bit confused though - I thought pill would be keeping my estrogen levels steady, and if it’s not, would HRT work? What makes them different?

I’m very tempted to give it a go as I’d love a respite from what feels like a lifetime of hormonal and gynae issues. Sad that my infertility issues will likely never be resolved now, but at least I can close that chapter rather than having another few years of “maybe”.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause start late 30s - HRT advice
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 01:37:45 PM »

Hi!  :welcomemm:

Some ladies find it useful to make a food/symptom/mood diary to chart progress.  Which symptom would you like to ease first?

HRT will cover your heart and bone health.  'replacement' .  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry too: inside and out; as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Browse round.  Ask away!

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 03:04:28 PM »

I'd be interested to see what other ladies say here, because my understanding is the same as yours - that the estrogen in the contraceptive pill is actually stronger than in HRT, so i'm not sure how moving onto HRT would help you - it sounds like you need a stronger estrogen Pill...?

I really would recommend going private to a gynae if you can in any way afford it. GPs are often not the best educated...

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 03:07:25 PM »

You can be referred to a menopause clinic - not a gynaecologist as they often don't know much more than GPs!

Floo36

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:36:54 PM »

Hi

I was put back on the combined pill Eloine but unfortunately it did nothing for my menopause symptoms so I stopped it and had the same symptoms.  I am now trying to get my HRT dose up to control my symptoms, only just increased dose again so early days. 

Perhaps the higher dose combined pill would help or give HRT a try.  HRT is much weaker than the pill, it baffles me why it did nothing for my menopause symptoms. 

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »

I started meno around 38 after ovarian surgery. I was on the pill then but at 40 went onto the rub on gel and utrogestan have never looked back 15 yrs later, and will stay on it for as long as I possibly can, its bio identical so worked much better for me and no nasty side effects like I was having with the pill. Hope you get sorted.

kjsm81

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 04:59:18 PM »

I really would recommend going private to a gynae if you can in any way afford it. GPs are often not the best educated...
[/quote]

Thanks - I’ve seen plenty of gynaecologists privately for my endo over the years but to be honest my GP is really good. I just didn’t think to ask her how a switch from the combined pill to HRT would benefit me but will when I phone next.  There must be a reason!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 06:57:49 PM »

I answered your other thread, suggesting that we keep it here  ;)

When you 'phone your GP, mayB have a list to discuss with her?   Then let us know?