Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: AstraZeneca vaccine and HRT  (Read 8008 times)

Grheliz1

Re: AstraZeneca vaccine and HRT
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 12:51:49 PM »

I'm 57 and on Oestrogel (and a Mirena for the progesterone) and had my first AZ jab just over three weeks ago. I will be returning for my second jab, unless otherwise advised by my GP (unlikely, I would guess).

TwoCakes

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 06:46:39 PM »

Cocobra, thanks so much for asking this question. I don’t have any great insight, but the same concerns as others. There’s been a focus around young women on the pill but no mention of us more mature ladies on HRT. I’m 51, fit and healthy. Had my first AZ jab and had nearly every side effect listed on the pack. I’m not really certain who to speak to about my questions and I worry if I don’t have the jab I’ll put others at risk. If I find any helpful (credible) info I’ll post here if that’s allowed.

menomope

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »

thanks for sharing this question and everyone who has joined in with their thoughts. It is a sort of comfort to know I am not the only one wondering about the vaccine and HRT.
I had my first  AZ vaccine back in January and I am due my second in this next week although I have not had the phone call yet.
I also had many side effects from the first dose and was in bed for three days. I have had covid though making side effects more likely apparently.
I am 57 and on HRT ( conti).
I am in two minds about a second dose. I think my iron levels may be low too and that makes clot issues more likely. But the problems of the AZ vaccine may have nothing to do with low iron. I am sure the medical histories of all the unfortunate vaccinees will have been thoroughly looked into but that info is just not available to the public. So we have some information to spook us but not quite enough to know whether we should be spooked.

linz57

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 07:24:25 PM »

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has concerns regarding the Astra Zeneca vaccine and hrt. I’ve 63 and have  been on a transdermal conti regime for the past six years. I realise there is  supposedly less risk of clots with the transdermal route, but after my first dose of the vaccine at the beginning of March,  I had a couple of hours of pains in my right calf one evening ( about a week later). I took a low dose aspirin and again for the next couple of days just as a precaution. Of course I appreciate the pain may have had nothing to do with the vaccine, but I hadn’t experienced it before. I wonder if it might be an idea to take an aspirin for a few days again when I go for my second shot? All the focus seems to be on the under 30’s age group at the
moment so who is going to listen to the concerns of us older ladies?
 I do want a second dose,  but after the calf pain I must admit  I’m a little concerned about it happening again.
 I realise the majority of clots that are being talked about are rare ones that occur in the brain,  but there have also been cases of clots in the abdomen and legs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:28:38 PM by linz57 »

menomope

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 09:38:59 PM »

Hi Linz57. also the rare blood clots are combined with low platelets which is an odd combo. So it leads me thinking about whether aspirin would help? Or make things worse. It really is head spinning stuff. We just dont know enough hence the worry.

linz57

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 11:32:08 PM »

Hi Menomope, yes good point regarding aspirin and low platelets, thanks for mentioning it, I hadn’t thought about that.
The conference today was inconclusive, so it’s not really answered our concerns, all we kept hearing was that the benefits outweigh the risks  :-\

Cocobra

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 07:58:14 AM »

Dear All,

thank you for all your thoughts. I've texted my haematologist cousin to see whether she can tell us something more ... But I did read (here:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/07/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-the-oxfordastrazeneca-vaccine) that using aspirin won't be of great help and might be counterproductive, Linz57. So, perhaps hold off it and have a word with your GP? Perhaps asking for a coagulation test?

I must admit that there's a lot of talk about women on the pill and in pregnancy in talking about clotting problems. Nothing whatsoever on women on HRT. To say this is frustrating is to put it mildly.

Have a good day, everyone!

Gnatty

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:53 AM »

I wonder whether if we were ok after the first jab ie no clotting problem this means we would be ok after second dose? These are the sort of questions we need an answer to!

Sparrow

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 08:36:40 AM »

This is the best information I have found so far.

BBC News - AstraZeneca vaccine: How do you weigh up the risks and benefits?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56665396

Dorothy

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 08:38:38 AM »

I'm due for my first jab tomorrow, and I must admit, I'm feeling a bit nervous (iron low atm too, so that's not helping!) 

But I keep reminding myself that life is risky.  People are killed in road accidents every year, but I bet not many people think, whenever they get in their car, 'am I going to survive this journey?'.  So not much point going for my vaccination thinking 'am I going to survive this jab?'!!!

linz57

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 08:39:44 AM »

Hi cocobra, thanks for the information, it’s a great help, I’ll definitely not use aspirin when I get my 2nd shot.
Yes, I’ll attempt to have a chat with my doctor, although I know what he will say .... “follow the government guidelines and get your second dose “
It looks like once again we are the forgotten group and here’s the thing.... if 3 of the 19 deaths were in the under 30’s age group, then that means the remaining 16 were over 30! Hmmm...let’s hope we get some answers on this soon.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:45:26 AM by linz57 »

menomope

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 08:39:57 AM »

Absolutely Gnatty. This is surely a question on a lot of people's minds  ( millions) right now who are in line for their second dose from AZ? I note that Germany's regulation authority have said under 60's should get a different vaccine for their second dose.

Wrensong

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 10:52:19 AM »

Cocobra, thanks for raising this issue & to everyone who's shared their thoughts.  Makes for interesting reading on a topic I imagine has been on many of our minds if we're on any form of HRT that's not entirely transdermal.  I had my 1st AZ jab about a month ago with pretty unpleasant side effects but only for 24 hrs & will be having the 2nd, unless we are advised against it by then.  My male partner had the AZ jab same day & no side effects.  The day we had the jab we came home to first media reports of various EU countries suspending use of the vaccine.

I've bruised easily for a number of years - starting before HRT - especially in fingers & feet, but so does my same age partner, so we assume down to ageing.  Managed to bruise a finger simply opening a door (lever handle - light pressure is enough) a couple of weeks after the jab & my partner also had a bruised finger, seemingly for no reason, a few days later.  Unusually this time, with each of us, a hard, painful, lump formed at the site of the bruise & has gradually reduced in size.  We both wondered about the jab.

I'm postmenopause, late 50s, on transdermal oestrogen with an oral progestogen cyclically (MPA), on a non-standard long-cycle regimen.  MPA is considered to increase clotting risk slightly.  I'd delayed the jab appointment date to get my MPA phase over with first, simply because MPA makes me feel rough & I didn't want possible side effects from the jab on top.  Our 2nd AZ dose is due end May & as a precaution with the uncertainties of the publicized clotting issue in mind, I will be moving my MPA phase forward by a week to make sure I finish it a couple of weeks before the jab.   

Otherwise, I'm not going to worry at the mo - there are so many risks in life statistically far greater than that reported so far from the AZ jab that we probably give little thought to.  As others have pointed out, driving being one.  I'm not qualified to interpret the data and at this stage, for the 2 of us it feels more sensible & responsible to get fully vaccinated unless the situation changes.

Kathleen

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »

Hello ladies

It was reported on yesterday's news that the blood clotting incidents had occurred after the first AstraZeneca vaccination.  The advice was to go ahead with the second jab if all was well after the first one. However there was no mention of how many people had received both injections to date so I assume data is limited.

As I have said I am happy to have my second dose of AstraZeneca but I would prefer my thirty one year old daughter to have the Pfizer one.

Take care ladies.

K.

Wrensong

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 12:23:27 PM »

Yes Kathleen

It was reported on yesterday's news that the blood clotting incidents had occurred after the first AstraZeneca vaccination.  The advice was to go ahead with the second jab if all was well after the first one. However there was no mention of how many people had received both injections to date so I assume data is limited.
I'd thought much the same.  Not yet entirely convinced by the reasoning that if OK after first jab no need to worry about 2nd :o!  But the experts know way more than I do ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4