Author Topic: .  (Read 1730 times)

Belle1

« on: May 11, 2021, 07:08:10 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:34:23 AM by Belle1 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT - Numbness in fingers upon waking
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 08:41:08 AM »

Could it be carpal tunnel syndrome, some ladies suffer during pregnancy.  Do U hang your arms over the edge of the bed to get relief?   There are specific splints from the pharmacy to wear at night, it is likely to be hormonal related.

It depends on which fingers are affected as to which nerve root the pins and needles stems from.  Sorry, can't remember which but the elbow is involved as well as the wrist.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:47:25 AM »

What does the leaflet in the box suggest?

pepperminty

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 07:10:32 AM »

Hi,

it may be sleeping on your side that does it. I would recommend going to a physio therapist to check if you have a pinched nerve which is common at our age. It is very unikely to be the HRT. But if you are worried you could contact your GP for reassurance.

Pepperminty xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »

Let us know?  Hormones certainly do play a part in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

hereandthere

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »

Yes I got it 24 hours after reducing from higher to lower estrogen. Started with wrist pain (carpal tunnel), then the numbness and tingling.
I’m back on the higher estrogen, but a month and a half later my right worse/starting wrist still aches, although numbness and tingling gone and left wrist is ok.
Gynae wouldn’t believe me initially that changing to Tibolone (lower estrogen) can bring it on, but I found cases in doctors notes on the net. It got worse when I went off completely.
My gynae still says I need to see a neurologist.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 06:20:27 PM »

As an orthopaedic secretary who saw a lot of patients with CTS I don't really think that a neurological exam. is necessary.   A menopause clinic might be more appropriate  ;)

Speak to the Pharamist about splints to use a night, 'futuro' rings a bell but that may be old hat these days  ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 11:28:32 PM »

Could it be carpal tunnel syndrome, some ladies suffer during pregnancy.  Do U hang your arms over the edge of the bed to get relief?   There are specific splints from the pharmacy to wear at night, it is likely to be hormonal related.

It depends on which fingers are affected as to which nerve root the pins and needles stems from.  Sorry, can't remember which but the elbow is involved as well as the wrist.

Ah yes - it is the nerve that goes over your elbow. You can damage it by leaning on your elbows at the desk a lot, apparently.

I have had it sometimes.  I get a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders and wonder if the nerve gets pinched up there.

hereandthere

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »

As an orthopaedic secretary who saw a lot of patients with CTS I don't really think that a neurological exam. is necessary.   A menopause clinic might be more appropriate  ;)

Speak to the Pharamist about splints to use a night, 'futuro' rings a bell but that may be old hat these days  ::)
CLKD, I’ve just ditched my gynae after he delayed approval of my biopsy.  So a new one may have a different idea. Neuros are expensive. I don’t have a menopause clinic in my city in South Africa.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 03:52:35 PM by hereandthere »

Seahorse

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 04:41:56 PM »

I think it can be one of the many menopausal symptoms linked to low oestrogen. I get it too when wake up in the early hours, goes when I wiggle my fingers. I'm hoping it will go now I have started HRT.

Iris67

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »

Could be thoracic outlet syndrome?

Floo36

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 09:36:28 AM »

It is a low Estrogen symptom, I have had it on and off for many years.

Pandabear

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 11:31:25 AM »

Hi,

I have this symptom regularly without previously being on systemic HRT. I think it is due to low Oestrogen levels.  My whole hands can be completely numb at times.  They were totally numb this morning and yesterday I suffered with bad joint pain all day so wonder if linked?

Just started Femseven conti this morning so it is not due to that in my case.