Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Are bowel problems yet another ruddy Menopause symptom???  (Read 2702 times)

menopausalalways

Are bowel problems yet another ruddy Menopause symptom???
« on: March 27, 2021, 06:36:59 PM »

I'm beginning to think I should just dig a ditch and  sleep in it until the MENOPAUSE is over and done with!!!
Recently Its uncomfortable when ever I sit - I just feel like I need to go for a poo and needless to say there is no action when I sit on the porcelain throne other than a cold bum and dents in me legs. My bum just feels like it is sore and has been overwiped (Sorry for TMI) and full and I'm beginning to think the hard office chair is the culprit  :-\
I think the feeling is called tenensum or something similar
But I can pinpoint it to the Meno...............ruddy hormones have got a lot to answer for......
Anyone else with bowel issues or anything similar??
I'm taking ORTIS cubes and drinking a dam full of water :o

Taz2

Re: Are bowel problems yet another ruddy Menopause symptom???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 06:54:06 PM »

It sounds like it could be weak rectal muscles or the start of a rectocele (prolapse). It's best you do get this checked out to make sure that all is ok.If it is weak pelvic floor muscles then HRT will improve things plus doing your pelvic floor exercises each day. Can you pull up your rectal muscles?

Taz x

menopausalalways

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 06:57:10 PM »

It sounds like it could be weak rectal muscles or the start of a rectocele (prolapse). It's best you do get this checked out to make sure that all is ok.If it is weak pelvic floor muscles then HRT will improve things plus doing your pelvic floor exercises each day. Can you pull up your rectal muscles?

Taz x

Is that clenching????

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 08:04:26 PM »

Pulling up from the inside like with pelvic floor exercises?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 08:31:51 PM »

Do U mean tenesmus where the coxxxy [sp] area feels like it needs to recommend that the bowels open but nowt happens until you've had a walk round ....... it happens 2 me occasionally.

As oestrogen levels drop, muscles may become lax which can affect the digestive tract.  Make sure that you exercise regularly as this helps the whole tract, keep well hydrated but not too much: if the pee is dark you haven't drunk enough, if it's pale it's too much, straw colour is what you are aiming for. 

Also how much fruit and veg. ingested can make a difference to bowel movements.   I have suffered with slow transit for years, diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome in the 1990s; if it becomes bothersome I stop all my medication for 24 hours which seems to help. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 07:38:56 AM »

I remembered this morning that if I have difficulty, when sitting on the loo if I bend forwards over my belly it sometimes helps.

menopausalalways

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 01:00:41 PM »

Do U mean tenesmus where the coxxxy [sp] area feels like it needs to recommend that the bowels open but nowt happens until you've had a walk round ....... it happens 2 me occasionally.

As oestrogen levels drop, muscles may become lax which can affect the digestive tract.  Make sure that you exercise regularly as this helps the whole tract, keep well hydrated but not too much: if the pee is dark you haven't drunk enough, if it's pale it's too much, straw colour is what you are aiming for. 

Also how much fruit and veg. ingested can make a difference to bowel movements.   I have suffered with slow transit for years, diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome in the 1990s; if it becomes bothersome I stop all my medication for 24 hours which seems to help.

Thanks for all your recommendations - will give them all a go!!!!!
Thank you
Meno Sisters
xxx

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 04:26:32 PM »

It's natural to blame everything on the menopause but many symptoms can have other causes too. If it doesn't improve soon I would see your gp to rule out anything else.