Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT, bleeding and possible polyp  (Read 1594 times)

Claslas

• First Flush
HRT, bleeding and possible polyp
« on: April 27, 2021, 07:25:06 PM »

Hi everyone, I am 56 with no periods since aged 50, and have been on HRT patches for 2 years-Evorel Conti with no issues until last November when I started having light fortnightly bleeding. I had all the usual period type feelings just prior, sore boobs, fluid retention etc. By Feb if this year it was becoming 3 weekly but I decided to contact my GP who referred me to the gynae clinic. I had a scan last week and the consultant saw what he thought was a polyp and I will need to have a hysteroscopy and biopsy which will be another 12 weeks or so.
I'm really worried about it all mainly about the findings of the biopsy if I'm honest.
I want to know if the bleeding is more because of the hrt as it is so regular, or is it mainly due to the polyp. I am swinging between wanting to stop my HRT altogether because of possible health risks, or possibly have a merina coil to supplement my patch, as the thought of going back to flushes and mood swings fills me with dread, the consultant said I could get the merina fitted when I get my biopsy but I'm not keen as I feel it's quite invasive. I've never had a coil or anything in the past.
Im also worried that continuing with my current hrt may be making things worse- if the bleeding is due to the polyp-3 more months taking it before I get some answers re the bleeding.
I'm going to try and contact my GP again this week to discuss it, but wondered if anyone here has had a similar experience or has any advice. I'm just feeling a bit confused and anxious.
Thanks 

Cazikins

Re: HRT, bleeding and possible polyp
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 11:37:57 PM »

Try not to worry Claslas. I recently had a hysteroscopy due to post menopausal bleeding & a polyp was removed - all was ok & now back to normal, but just like you I was worried sick.

The fact that you are having to wait another 12 weeks for the hysteroscopy is a bit of a surprise though as mine was done within 4 weeks of me seeing my G.P. & presenting myself with P.M.B.

Considering you have been on your HRT for 2 years the bleeding is likely to be because of the polyp. Did you get told the thickness of your endometrial lining when you were scanned? that can be thickened with a polyp.

I would continue with the HRT if I were you unless they advise differently.

I was also offered the Mirena coil but declined as I thought it could mask any future bleeds I might have, plus it would have to be removed/replaced at some date in the future.

I'm sure everything will turn out fine it's the waiting that is the worst bit.

Good luck & please keep us posted.

Cazikins x

applejack

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »

In a similar position - waiting for biopsy results although they found a fibroid, not a polyp.  Like Cazikins I'm surprised by the wait - all my tests, including the biopsy, were done within 14 days and now have the awful anxiety whilst I wait for the results.

Also veering between stopping HRT and not although have decided to do nothing until I speak to a doctor.  Exactly the same feelings as you, Claslas - worried that the HRT might make things worse, worried about having a mirena because it's invasive and what if I don't get on with it and it has to be removed etc.

You're doing the right thing contacting your GP, and with a bit of luck it might prompt them to push for your screening to move forward.  i'm surprised you've not been fast tracked like I was. Although, if you've had a scan it might be that your uterus looked ok and not thickened and perhaps that's reduced the urgency?  Did they detect any thickening?

Elizabeta

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:14:00 PM »

I'm waiting for a referral to a gynaecologist following an ultrasound due to unexpected bleed. I'm 53 and on HRT. Doctor told me to stop HRT immediately as my lining was thickened. I was told I would be seen with two weeks, but nothing. Called the surgery to find they had forgotten to send the referral! The doctor responsible called through to gynae ward and reported back that Is probably be 'downgraded' as my lining wasn't that thich at 6.6. So confused and trying to stay calm about it. Still no news. I would say stop the HRT if you are worried. I've been amazed. I stopped two weeks ago and nothing! No symptoms. Even if I had them I'd at least be confident that the hormones wouldn't be making a possible issue worse. Can always go back on later.

jennyr265

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 07:10:07 AM »

Hi , I'm in the same situation. I had a scan yesterday and it showed a polyp and a thickened lining so I have been referred for further investigation and told to stop HRT. I have been on Evorel 75 patches with utro since last May and started getting a monthly bleed in December.
Not looking forward to a return of symptoms!

applejack

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 02:09:02 PM »

Interesting - I was told NOT to stop HRT as the situation at the moment is stressful (of course it is, everyone worries when waiting for biopsy results) and that coming off HRT might cause mood swings and make me feel emotionally much worse

But to be honest, if it's HRT which has caused the endometrial thickening in the first place, I'd rather stop!

Grheliz1

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 08:04:18 AM »

I was switched from Utrogestan to a Mirena coil back in December as I developed polyps and bleeding on continuous HRT.

It seems to have worked well. Some uteruses just don't seem to respond to utrogestan as well as others! I really didn't want to stop HRT as it was helping me in many other ways. I'm on oestrogel.