Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Post menopausal Bleeding and hrt  (Read 1758 times)

Poppybiff

• First Flush
Post menopausal Bleeding and hrt
« on: March 22, 2021, 04:09:02 PM »

Hi. I am on oestrogel and urogesten. I am almost 51 and started HRT at 43.  Since last summer I have been bleeding every 2 weeks. I was referred to gynaecologist and had scan and biopsy. Everything was fine but I was advised I could have coil (hormone or non hormone) if I wanted to stop the bleeding. 

I am really not keen on the coil as I suffer with anxiety and depression (stable at present) and would worry coil would exacerbate it.  But I am fed up bleeding every 2 weeks. 

I was told to go back to GP if it was still happening in 6 months (that will be around June). Has anyone had a solution to this?

Thanks

Grheliz1

Re: Post menopausal Bleeding and hrt
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 04:46:40 PM »

Having had polyps removed three times while I was on utrogestan I finally did what I said I'd never do and had a Mirena coil inserted before Christmas.

It's actually been fine. I was worried about my mood, too, but haven't noticed any difference. I have a little bit of water retention still, about a pound or two, but that's the only side effect.

But they were fairly adamant that I should only stay on HRT if I had a Mirena, as the polyps kept coming back and they were worried about it developing into something more worrying. So my situation might not be similar to yours.

I am so pleased not to have the bleeding. I wish I'd had the Mirena in my early forties when I first started to develop heavy and frequent periods. I was very distrustful of it.

pepperminty

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 05:11:19 PM »

Hi,

sometimes if you are in peri meno pause your hormones kick in with your cycle, and  bleeding still happens  on continuos HRT . Perhaps a sequential regime would be better for you? Of trying a different type? Or changing the dosage? 

PeppermintyX

Poppybiff

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 05:43:15 PM »

Hi,

sometimes if you are in peri meno pause your hormones kick in with your cycle, and  bleeding still happens  on continuos HRT . Perhaps a sequential regime would be better for you? Of trying a different type? Or changing the dosage? 

PeppermintyX

I originally was on sequential for a few years then was changed to a different continuous one. There were then supplier issues with that so was swapped to gel and urogesten. Was fine on it for a few months, now period (old blood) every two weeks.

Poppybiff

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 05:44:48 PM »

Having had polyps removed three times while I was on utrogestan I finally did what I said I'd never do and had a Mirena coil inserted before Christmas.

It's actually been fine. I was worried about my mood, too, but haven't noticed any difference. I have a little bit of water retention still, about a pound or two, but that's the only side effect.

But they were fairly adamant that I should only stay on HRT if I had a Mirena, as the polyps kept coming back and they were worried about it developing into something more worrying. So my situation might not be similar to yours.

Thanks. I did have a camera but they couldn’t see anything as I couldn’t tolerate the water going in.  Don’t know what would be best as I’m now fed up of bleeding.
I am so pleased not to have the bleeding. I wish I'd had the Mirena in my early forties when I first started to develop heavy and frequent periods. I was very distrustful of it.

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »

Hi just seen this ,
 Copied and paste for you below.

The majority of women who bleed when they are taking HRT do not have underlying pathology
Vaginal bleeding is a very common side effect of taking HRT. Bleeding usually settles within the first three to six months of starting HRT. Every time the dose of HRT is increased, or the type of HRT is changed, then bleeding can occur. Pathology is more likely in women who have heavy and prolonged bleeding and women who have bleeding beyond 6 months despite modifying their progestogen intake or where there is a concern about the clinical presentation or bleeding amount / pattern should be investigated appropriately10.

For the majority of women experiencing bleeding, changing their progestogen often controls bleeding. The dose of Utrogestan can increase to 200mg each evening (or 300mg for two out of four nights if taking cyclically). An alternative progestogen such as medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) (5-10mg each day or 20mg cyclically) can often effectively reduce bleeding.

PMX

Poppybiff

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 07:32:57 PM »

Hi just seen this ,
 Copied and paste for you below.

The majority of women who bleed when they are taking HRT do not have underlying pathology
Vaginal bleeding is a very common side effect of taking HRT. Bleeding usually settles within the first three to six months of starting HRT. Every time the dose of HRT is increased, or the type of HRT is changed, then bleeding can occur. Pathology is more likely in women who have heavy and prolonged bleeding and women who have bleeding beyond 6 months despite modifying their progestogen intake or where there is a concern about the clinical presentation or bleeding amount / pattern should be investigated appropriately10.

For the majority of women experiencing bleeding, changing their progestogen often controls bleeding. The dose of Utrogestan can increase to 200mg each evening (or 300mg for two out of four nights if taking cyclically). An alternative progestogen such as medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) (5-10mg each day or 20mg cyclically) can often effectively reduce bleeding.

PMX

That's really interesting thanks. The nurse told me it was to do with the oestrogen not progesterone.  I think I'll look into increasing urtrogestton dose to see if that helps.

Poppybiff

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »

I take 2 pumps of oestrogel in the morning on my thighs. Would it be worth changing/increasing gel dose, or moving to another site for application? I take the urogesten continuously, 100mg every night. Thanks

pepperminty

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 07:22:32 AM »

Hi,

I do not know, but it may be worth looking on Louise newson's website and putting in the search box , both there and on here, Good luck.

PMX