Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Just started HRT - when can I expect to feel normal again?  (Read 1489 times)

Moonflower

Just started HRT - when can I expect to feel normal again?
« on: March 22, 2021, 03:55:04 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've just started taking HRT for the first time (utrogestan and oestrogen gel) and I'm wondering when I'll be able to feel normal again?  My main symptons are vaginal atrophy (also take vagifem), ectopics/palpitations, joing stiffness (knee suddenly sounds like a crisp packet) and low mood/energy/brain fog.  Last year I had extra heart beats nearly daily for the whole year and they finally stopped in December 2020.  Strangely enough they have started up again after starting HRT.  Does anybody know why this would happen?  I've hated getting these extra beats so this is disappointing that they've started up again. My periods stopped aged 45.  I am now 48.  My heart consultant said my bloods suggested I was probably post menopausal.  Does this sound right?  Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.  Finally, I think something doesn't agree with me (utrogestan?) as I find I'm not falling asleep so quickly and feel a bit more anxious and my tummy feels unsettled.

Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Just started HRT - when can I expect to feel normal again?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 05:23:07 PM »

Yep.  You are peri-menopausal by the sound of symptoms shared.

Do use the 'vagifem' as often as required.  Read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads on the Forum.

MayB pu the names of the products into the 'search' box - individually - 2 C what pops up.  Make notes ;-)

It can take several weeks B4 one can feel benefit.  Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.

racjen

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 05:46:00 PM »

CLKD, just to clarify - Moonflower said she hasn't had a period for 3 years and professional opinion is that she is post-menopausal, not peri.

Hi Moonflower, yes, utrogestan can certainly have the effects you describe; are you taking it cyclically or continuously? I find that although I'm post-menopausal I can't tolerate continuous progesterone in any form, so I've stuck with Provera 2 weeks out of 4 alongside Evorel patches. How much of each are you taking? It can take several months to start feeling any benefit.

Moonflower

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 05:58:56 PM »

Thank you both for your replies  :).

Racjen, I'm taking utrogestran everyday as far as I know, though just read the packet and it says take on days 1 to 25 of each 28 day cycle..??  I'm on 2 pumps of Estrogel too.  I had so much hope for body identical HRT but at the moment I feel worse than before.

Cobweb4moth

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 08:26:55 PM »

Hi moonflower ,I know this is a very old thread but I was hoping you could help. I too have experienced ectopic beats. During peri menopause although the Go did not attribute it to that. I have been post menopause for 2 years , struggling on with no hrt and no sleep ,anyhow I started oestrogel in December and utrogestan vaginally ,the ectopics seemed to calm down but now they are back with a vengeance over the last month.I have well controlled hypertension however gp is very reluctant to increase oestrogen ,she is over cautious. I just wondered how you are now feeling and if you have found anything that has worked for the ectopics

Moonflower

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 10:27:23 PM »

Hi there.  Do you know what? my ectopics have more or less gone now.  It's been quite a few blissful months of calm.  The gynaecologist that I am seeing is convinced it is the HRT which has got rid of them.  I started on 2 pumps of gel and still had ectopics so then went up to 3 pumps and still had them, with bleeding, so I went back to 2 pumps and some months later they faded.  I may still get the odd thump but nothing like 1000 ectopic beats per day.  I still freak out with one, so you can imagine how miserable and scared I was having about 1000 a day.  I really sympathise with you.  I cut out loads of stuff when I was having them and nothing really worked.  I am now back on tea and chocolate etc and am not afraid to have any possible triggers.  I suspect all along that it was the imbalance of hormones.

However, I still feel pretty rubbish, though sooo thankful the ectopics are not ruining my life at the mo.  I just went onto 3 pumps without asking my GP and then told them and they didn't mind.  It does sound like you need to experiment to find an equilibrium.  I am not sure where to go from here personally.  I am on all the "trendy stuff" as my gynae has said, two pumps of oestrogel, utrogestan daily and one pump of testosterone every other day.  The magic moment has not yet arrived for me.  I still feel tired (even though I sleep so well), dizzy and stiff with digestive problems.  However, the atrophy has improved a bit so that's already two major things.

I hope you sort yourself out soon.  It really is such a tough time where you feel rubbish, get things investigaged and nothing is often found.  I can't believe all these celebs on TV who said they felt better over night after rubbing in a bit of gel.  How lucky.