Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New and benefits of reaching ‘the other side’  (Read 1445 times)

Marilynne

• First Flush
New and benefits of reaching ‘the other side’
« on: March 21, 2021, 08:46:58 AM »

Good Morning everyone. I’m a new member and so pleased to have found this great resource😀.

I’m interested to hear if anyone else has good stories about being post menopause? My menopause came fairly (46) early and I took Elleste Duet for nearly two years to get me through the onslaught of psychological and physical changes. Then the national shortage happened and I couldn’t get on with the alternative I was offered, so came off HRT completely, at which point the whole shebang hit me - hot flushes, weight gain, brain fog to the point I was losing my mind 🤯. I asked for a prescription of Vagifem, which sorted out the vaginal dryness about a year ago but otherwise decided to power on through.  The worst of the symptoms subsided eventually. Then, recently, I read about the benefits of HRT on bone density, cardio vascular health and cognitive aging, so went back onto it, this time being prescribed Fem Conti 7.  I’m only 50 now, so thought that perhaps I should take advantage of these benefits.  The patches took me right back to a peri-menopausal state - wild mood swings, tender breasts, break through bleeding and water retention, so I came off it after a few weeks.

So two questions/points: I hadn’t realised the benefits of being post menopausal once you have weathered the storm - emotional calmness, clear sense of purpose, and a new sense of ambition, confidently assuming no period will interrupt swimming, thicker hair (?!). But there is very little out there which highlights this perspective. Is anyone else enjoying being on the other side?

2) the vagifem is effective and I’d like to continue that indefinitely. Does anyone know about the long term risks associated with that?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New and benefits of reaching ‘the other side’
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »

Morning.

Many GPs like ladies to stop HRT at specific years i.e. 60, 65 etc..   But long-term quality of Life is important so if it ain't broke ?

We have a 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' thread which have lots of experiences shared.  The feeling is that treatment of vaginal atrophy is for Life.  Either with 'vagifem' or 'ovestin', similar products but delivered into the vagina differently.  It is important to keep on top of treatments, to recognise any irritating return of symptoms and treat accordingly.  4 me, if the need2P niggles then I up my dose of 'ovestin' to every night and take 2 'nurofen' 3 times a day for two days.

:welcomemm:

How has your exercise regime and overall diet been since your teens?  How is it these days ?  15 mins. brisk walking 3 times a day should help bone health.  I don't take HRT other than VA treatment.  I walked for miles every day when I had a  :scottie: and yesterday we measured our current distances.  I was surprised at how far we are stepping out and we plan to extend this as the weather improves.

I have taken anti-depressant medication since 1988.

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 02:16:50 PM »

Hi Marilynne

Cant help with the first question as i was one of the lucky ones that sailed through menopause with little or no symptoms. It was 4 years into post meno i started with atrophy and have taken vagifem and ovestin since, that was 6 years ago.  Both these local estrogens have been around for  years and long term safety is well established and can be used for life.

Marilynne

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 09:28:24 PM »

Many thanks for the replies, Dierdre and CLKD.  That is all very helpful. I’m feeling very reassured about the Vagifem now.  I’ll keep going with that with confidence. And nice point about the bone density - I’ve done lots of exercise since I was a teenager.  Would love to get a dog again . . . Here’s the perfect reason to do it.🐕
Feeling much happier about the decision to just stick to the Vagifem now.  Thanks again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »

If you can't have a dog for a while, mayB contact The Cinnamon Trust who often require 'babysitters'  ;)

I am pleased that my perimenopause wasn't 'bad' because I had such dreadfully heavy, painful periods  :'(