Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Visit to gynae left me with worse urinary incontinence  (Read 1303 times)

Iris67

Visit to gynae left me with worse urinary incontinence
« on: March 21, 2021, 08:45:18 PM »

Has anyone else experienced this? I have mild (but permanent) urinary incontinence and had an examination by a gynae yesterday. It was pretty thorough and painful from all angles with the speculum. But afterwards the incontinence has got much worse - as if it has damaged/irritated me!! I'm hoping it will calm down?!?!

Forgive my feebleness - I haven't had any kids so this is probably all minor to those who have...(although the mental trauma of 2 step-kids for 21 years is not nothing!  ;D)

Joaniepat

Re: Visit to gynae left me with worse urinary incontinence
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 10:16:57 PM »

A good place to start might be an assessment by a women's health physiotherapist to assess your pelvic floor. You can ask to be referred on the NHS, or find one privately. It could be down to an overtight pelvic floor, which can result in weakness. In the meantime, don't be tempted to do any kegel exercises, which can make things worse. Are you using any vaginal oestrogen?

JP x.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:50:13 AM »

I suspect that the thorough examination may have irritated bladder area.  Did you get a local anaesthetic B4 he began prodding, was there a Nurse present?

Drink plenty.  Take pain relief regularly to ease the need to pee feelings.  And rest.

Good advice Joaniepat. 

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 12:54:13 PM »

I'd get  a urine sample tested at the docs if I were you. I always get an bladder infection after any speculum use. This would make any incontinence worse. Is it stress incontinence?

Taz x  :hug:

Iris67

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 02:25:07 PM »

It's really odd. It's periodic acute and intense bladder irritation/spasms with an unbearable urge. Makes me feel nauseous and wobbly at the same time. Then it calms down a bit...

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 03:04:40 PM »

Irritation - have you taken any pain relief?

Iris67

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 03:18:31 PM »

No I haven't - I have almost near constant leakage too. The spasms are the weirdest thing. Never had them before. I try not to take anything I can avoid.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 03:45:01 PM »

Why suffer  :-\