Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: vagifem Vs Generic estrodiol  (Read 2283 times)

dahliagirl

vagifem Vs Generic estrodiol
« on: March 19, 2021, 07:17:45 PM »

I have been given this for the second time, rather than the usual Vagifem.

Do you find it is the same, or are the differences?  ???

Jillm

Re: vagifem Vs Generic estrodiol
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 01:37:54 AM »

I’ve been given the generic one this time. Only been using it for a few weeks, still on the fence, but I have noticed that My boobs are achy after use. This did happen when I started the vagifem, so hopefully it will calm down.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 02:24:04 PM »

From what I understand, they have the same ingredients.  Hopefully Hurdity or one of the other very informative ladies will be able to confirm or not.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 04:02:55 PM »

I have been given my second prescription.  I have noticed some problems that I did not have before.  I still have some vagifem left which I have used occasionally so it is hard to pin down why.

I am going to do one week with vagifem alternate nights, then one week generic.

I am going to try and keep everything else the same, and have one cup of coffee on a Wednesday. Will report back.

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 04:21:43 PM »

Dahliagirl, although the generic and branded versions of vaginal estradiol pessaries are supposed to be the same, some people on the Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group have noticed a difference, although others have not. Are you a member of the Facebook group? Might be worth having a look to see what others are saying.

If you really don't get on with the generic version, you could ask your GP to specify Vagifem on the prescription.

JP x

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 01:26:34 PM »

I did a week on Vagifem and did all my usual things, and it was fine.

Then I forgot to take one of my HRT tablets  ::)

So now that things are back on an even keel, I am going to try the generic, alternate nights, for a week.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 08:29:37 AM »

From what I understand, they have the same ingredients.  Hopefully Hurdity or one of the other very informative ladies will be able to confirm or not.

Yes they have exactly the same ingredients although the proportions of each aren't given. Since the generic version was produced when Vagifem came out of patent then presumably the "recipe" was available to other companies? There could be minor differences due to source of (the same) ingredients but you would need to contact the company to find out if the proportions are the same? In many cases of generics this is not the case ( ie same ingredients) but looks like Vagifem generic may be? If the proportions of the excipents were different then this could be noticed by some women who are sensitive to the fillers or if it affects absorption of the estradiol.

Dahliagirl, although the generic and branded versions of vaginal estradiol pessaries are supposed to be the same, some people on the Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group have noticed a difference, although others have not. Are you a member of the Facebook group? Might be worth having a look to see what others are saying.

If you really don't get on with the generic version, you could ask your GP to specify Vagifem on the prescription.

JP x

Interesting - but as always, anecdotal evidence doesn't necessarily show there is a difference as with other HRT we have looked at  ::). I wonder if anyone has written to the company yet? Worth finding out perhaps?

Hope you get on well with the generic - dahliagirl and do report back.

Hurdity x

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 08:25:40 PM »

I have been having problems that I have not had before. I had been given the new generic, but using them and the left over vagifem randomly.

However, I will maintain an open mind and see what results my little experiment bring.  :)

Blot

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 10:38:13 PM »

I’ve been given the generic since October last year and I’ve been ok with it. No noticeable problems except  nearly all of the reusable applicators have been rubbish, can’t get them to dispense properly.

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 08:10:09 PM »

I find it makes me feel sore in the mornings, around the urethra area.

I haven't had a good week of testing it yet because something always goes wrong  ::)

Blot - I haven't found the applicators very good either.  One broke the second time I used it - presumably it needs to last 12 uses. 
I think it is worth saving a few vagifem ones just in case if it is possible.