Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Does menopause really get better?  (Read 1536 times)

Patchsmama

Does menopause really get better?
« on: March 18, 2021, 11:37:32 AM »

Hello everyone

I had a surgical menopause 6.5 years ago.  Having a bit of a downer at the moment.  I've managed so far without HRT as I knew that if I started it, I'd spend the whole time worrying about side effects.  I had a borderline ovarian cyst removed with TAH hence the menopause so am a bit, well quite a bit, paranoid.  I eventually started Vagifem last July after struggling with UTIs, frequency etc. and I think about 3 months ago, my GP increased it to 3 per week since I was getting breakthrough symptoms.  I seemed to do the trick, however, I noticed that I was getting a lot of headaches, so stupidly put it back down to 2 per week.  A couple of weeks ago, symptoms started again so I put it back up to 3 per week (no headaches yet!) but I'm still struggling, mainly in the morning after having a wee, I get burning and that horrid feeling of maybe/maybe not wanting to go again.  I'm wondering whether to give it more time for the extra dose to kick in (can't remember how long it took last time) or to contact GP to ask whether I need to increase further or do another two weeks of loading or what. 

Feeling very low at the moment, am sure lockdown isn't helping.  I know that VA does't improve without treatment but I'm wondering whether there will every be any light at the end of the tunnel.  Still having hot flushes, particularly at night, joint pain and anxiety.  Do these continue too?  I've had a painful upper arm/shoulder for a couple of months which isn't getting better so I've got a telephone consultation with a different GP tomorrow.  I wouldn't be keen to discuss VA with him, he likes to get rid of you as soon as possible, whereas my GP actually cares.  It just seems to be one thing after the other.  All I want is to not have anything to worry about for a while.  I was 57 a couple of weeks ago and now have it in my head that it's all down hill from now.  My mum passed away suddenly at 70 and that is in my head too, the fact that that age is only 13 years away.  I know I'm being daft but it's a bit of a struggle at the moment. 

Hope everyone else is doing well. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Does menopause really get better?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 11:52:31 AM »

Hi! don't despair.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads.  Some require 'vagifem' nightly as well as 'ovestin' cream for the outer labia - I use the latter internally as well as KY Jelly externally.  If my bladder gets irritated I take 2 Nurofen 3 times a day for 3 days.

Headaches can be caused by dehydration, worry, not sleeping, sleeping too heavily  ::)

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Have you tried over the counter pain relief regularly?  Frozen shoulder is common in peri-menopause. 

Make sure that you have enough 'vagifem' to keep you going on a nightly basis.  It may take up to 3 months B4 symptoms feel comfy. 

Make a list of what you need to discuss with the GP.  If you don't get anywhere, make an appt with the Practice Nurse, the NHS is open for patients!  They are trying to fob off with the excuse about C-19 but I had no problems getting bloods done recently.

Not daft.  It's lockdown, health issues, dull weather - I try to find 1 nice thing to see each day.  Currently it's the blackbird chicks in the nest being fed by the parents  :-*

70 - when I was very depressed and my Mum reached that age, I was convinced that she would die.  I hung onto that for ages,; she's now 94.  Sudden death can be such a shock.  U could consider talking with CRUSE.

Let us know how you get on?

Patchsmama

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »

Thank you so much for the prompt reply @clkd.  You are always so kind and amazingly helpful.  Must admit I'm not overly impressed with the GP surgery at present.  They won't speak to you on the phone, can only ask advice online.  I did ask for a face to face appointment but was told I'd be getting a telephone conversation.  Goodness knows how they can examine joint movement over the phone!!

I'll not give up on the Vagifem.  I was just a bit hopeful, I guess that the increase of one per week would be enough when it was last time.  I have some Olive and Bee and Yes VM but I don't want to use everything then not know what works. 

I did have some counselling after my Dad died 8 years ago but it wasn't great - only group counselling was available and it was more for anxiety.  Mum passed away a long time but it was sudden and on the same day that my gran died too.  Mum had me at 39, the same age as I had my son, so it's always been at the back of my mind that he could be in the same position as I was :-( 

I agree, I think if we had some sunshine, we might all feel a bit better xx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 12:46:06 PM »

Try CRUSE again if you think it's time.  They usually do 1-1 phone chats, my friend counsels sufferers in their homes too.

Get that 'vagifem' up there nightly  ;).  Nice warm bath, into bed and apply.  Then read.  Some need treatment nightly for ages because hormones rise and fall which may make dryness worse.

Lyncola

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 09:02:45 AM »

Hi Patchsmama,

I’ve been treating virginal atrophy now for two and half years. And I’ve got another flare up again  >:(
Do a two week reload then go back yo three a week. I also use Olive and Bee, and Yes VM.

On a good day I’m 90-95% better and I wouldn’t be that good without Yes and Olive and Bee. It takes away the outside burning. I use the same product when I’m have my good days and my bad flare ups. So I don’t believe it’s the products as I wouldn’t have any good days.

Ovestin is great to use on the outside too, and if your lucky and have a great doctor I inserted the old Ovestin every week too.

My routine is night 1- Vagifem and Ovestin externally
                    night 2- Ovestin internally and externally
                    night 3- Vagifem and Ovestin externally
                    night4- rest
Yes VM two times a day and Olive and Bee at night.
Why am I having a flare up? But at least I made it 5 months without one, last year before this routine I had 5 flare ups in 10 months. And what sucks is I know this is for life, and I’m not allowed to have HRT, because they left my ovaries in after my hysterectomy, and my ovaries still play up. I wish they took them out I went into menopause 4 months after anyway?

And I have every other menopausal problem too, I’m 46 years old and struggling to keep working. I wonder if this crap will ever end too, I’m three years in  :(
Best of luck
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:05:31 AM by Lyncola »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »

Use the 'vagifem' nightly.  It's a very small amount of active ingredient and ladies find that nightly eases symptoms with very few flare ups.