Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Blood conditions and transdermal systemic hrt  (Read 1074 times)

Postmeno3

Blood conditions and transdermal systemic hrt
« on: March 17, 2021, 10:12:30 AM »

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has any blood conditions but are still able/allowed to use transdermal, systemic hrt postmenopausally? Are barriers likely to be met with the medics?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:22:36 AM by Postmeno3 »

Taz2

Re: Blood conditions and transdermal systemic hrt
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:05:46 PM »

Hi. Which blood condition are you thinking of?

Taz x  ;)

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »

As part of the M.E., I have very slow circulation of poor quality resulting in inflamed, phlebitic/thrombotic veins with poor "return"? I may have "sticky blood" and want this assessed. I had very large varicose veins operated on a couple of years ago, but they are returning as above. After the (private) surgery, the consultant recommended that thinners be considered  but on attending the NHS gp with this recommendation, he said I had no categories meriting their use. There is genetic history of clots, my brother dying suddenly from a pulmonary embolism.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 03:19:32 PM »

Sorry to hear about your brother. I can see you would be worried. Both my mum and brother had DVTs from a young age and I had my clotting factor checked to see if it was an inherited condition. Mine were fine. I had surgery for varicose veins but, as you have found, they returned as other veins take up the blood flow and become varicose themselves. They do not preclude you from HRT though. Sticky Blood Syndrome might though. I had phlebitis once but, again this was not a reason to be denied HRT. I've been on patch HRT for 14 years.

Ask for a blood test to check for sticky blood and take it from there?

Taz x

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »

That's so helpful. Thanks! x

KBallinger

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 11:40:44 PM »

I have a genetic blood clotting condition factor v Leiden. I cannot take oral hrt but transdermal is fine as it doesn’t pass through the liver where the clotting factors are made. X

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 07:49:41 AM »

That's good to know, thank you. I suppose it's down to the same old issue of how knowledgeable the medics we see are and how willing/creative with that knowledge. I know I have a veinous insufficiency issue and am guessing, with things as they are just now, that may not be so easily assessed. All a bit worrying, really, but shall join the queue for a phone chat this morning and shall feel I've at least made a start.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:43:52 AM by Postmeno3 »