Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT 18 days in. Feel awful.  (Read 1687 times)

HAB

• First Flush
HRT 18 days in. Feel awful.
« on: March 16, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »

Hi Everyone. Please can someone advise. I started Provera 5mg at night and 2 pumps of oestrogel in the morning about 18 days ago but im feeling awful. Always suffered with anxiety but its off the scale and just cry all the time.
I'm thinking of just giving it all up. Some say progesterone helps anxiety, others not. I'm so confused!

sheila99

Re: HRT 18 days in. Feel awful.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:17:25 PM »

It's usually the progesterone that causes problems. Maybe try it cyclically instead of conti for a couple of months and see how you are on oestrogen only. If you're still bad you could try a patch instead. It was oestrogen that cured my anxiety though it did take 3 months. If you had it before peri it may not help.

CherrySG

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 09:37:41 PM »

I have been on hrt for about a year for VA issues but it causes severe depression for me. No anxiety because I'm too low to care what happens.

I'm a week into stopping hrt and just relying on Vagifem and Ovestin. Much less depressed! But a little sore.

I was on Provera too. Maybe you could change progesterone or try cycling on/off like Sheila99 suggests? There are options if you need to manage other symptoms.

Hope you find the solution to this 💐 The Evorel patches make me more depressed than the gel, but far less anxious. It's trial and error, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:40:07 PM by CherrySG »

HAB

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 10:10:06 PM »

Thank you both. I've not taken the progesterone tonight so I'll see how I feel in the morning. Nearly 55, probably about 4 years post meno. Was on femoston 1/5 for quite a while but still got bouts of anxiety which is why I wanted to try the gel.
You are right about trial and error. :-\

mumandwife

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 04:37:47 AM »

Hi,

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful.

I was on Provera for around 4-5 months and felt horribly brain foggy, dozey and generally brain-tired.
I have now asked to be changed onto Utrogestan and only on day 4 but feeling a lot better.  I take it orally but I know if you take it vaginally it can help with any side effects.  Utrogestan is body identical so should have less side effects.

Are you able to talk to your Dr and ask to try a different Progesterone.   My Dr told me that they naturally prescribe Provera in my country as it is funded and costs nothing for the patient.  Not all Drs think about telling us there is a selection and what the differences might be!

S

HAB

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 04:57:10 PM »

Hi, thanks for your reply. I spoke to my gp this morning and asked for utrogestan. I don't think he had heard of it and said he would email the menopause clinic for advice (I'm also waiting for an appt with them) So I now have to wait!