Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan side effects  (Read 17415 times)

Jasmine_2015

Utrogestan side effects
« on: February 14, 2019, 07:50:11 AM »

Hello all,

I have been taking Utrogestan 100mgs continuously for about three to four weeks now. I take it around 8pm vaginally. I feel extremely low in mood (although this was not great before I started) and drowsy. I didn't sleep well previously so in some ways it was good to be able to sleep better but not now I'm still feeling like I have no energy in the day! I just wondered if I should be expecting this to wear off (or for my body to get used to it) or, whether it's likely to continue? I struggled with low mood before so I don't like to blame Utrogestan for my mood but at the same time it feels like it's racked up a notch and I'm really struggling.

racjen

Re: Utrogestan side effects
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »

Sorry to have to tell you this, but for me the side-effects have got worse the longer I've taken it - I now can't make it through more than 7 days of 100mg without feeling severely depressed. Many women on here have a lot of trouble with utrogestan, others love it. You might find it settles but on the other hand you might be better off on something else.

Jasmine_2015

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I will try and persist but at the moment I am getting very tempted to try professor Stubbs regimen of 100mg for 7 days although I'm concerned that may not be wise for me if I'm not under his guidance or having regular scans.
I am taking the Utrogestan vaginally (to minimise the side effects) alongside 2 pumps of oestrogel.

To be honest I'd really like the stop it all completely but I'm taking it due to severe osteoporosis so feel I really need to persevere as other osteo medications haven't improved my bone density or even halted it's loss. My oestrogen level was still very low last time I had it done (50-70!) but I haven't had it done since starting the oestrogel and Utrogestan.

Jasmine_2015

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:27:43 PM »

Thank so much StellaJane,

I think I will try that. I will persevere until the end of the month if I can and then try from 1st March to aim for ten days on 100mg. I could then get scans done myself to check things over- thank you that is quite reassuring.

The osteoporosis is a big concern for me as I've already fractured a few times in my spine and that scares me.

pepperminty

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 05:13:12 PM »

Hi as per stellajanes comment- that is interesting,

"a natural effect of progesterone is raised body temperature. I also get this, though for me its not really like hot flushes, far less intense, more a sensation of heat that comes and goes."

I get very hot on the progesterone phase of my HRT, I thought it was that my dose was too low. I di not know you could get hotter due to progesterone.

Peppermintyx

Jasmine_2015

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 07:10:33 AM »

Birdy thank you I will do that.

StellaJane- my levels will probably next be tested in May. I suspect I'm still quite low so was wondering whether to increase to 3 pumps before then or to wait and see where I'm at.

Lanzalover

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 07:35:31 AM »

Hi Jasmine_2015

I think it's probably continuous Utrogestan which is causing your mood problems. There is no way I could take it continuously I personally couldn't use Utrogestan either orally or vaginally on a cycle basis so changed to Provera which I much prefer but on along cycle as I'm in my 60's (still don't know how that happened !.) unfortunately progesterone is the downside of HRT.
I do get hot when taking progesterone  but as previously said its not the same as a night sweat and i always increase the gel I use when taking it as a precaution against progesterone side effects.
As you are using the gel for protection against osteoporosis I would increase to 3 pumps and see how you get on but as previously said its more than likely continuos progesterone is the problem.

Lanzalover x

pepperminty

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »

Hi Stellajane,

I will try upping my estrogen during the progesterone part, and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up.

I am nearly 52 so a few years yet before I think it is safe to go long cycle, as I do not know where I am in menopause.  I would also ike to go transdermal but even though the pill regime I am on is not ideal, I am too scared to change incase I feel worse ans cannot work. I just have to tough it out for about 4 more years before I can safely take a career break and then I can try.

How are you doing Birdy, have you stopped HRT yet?

PeppermintyX

pepperminty

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »

Hi Birdy,

how are yu getting on HRT free? I hope you are feeling a bit better.

Peppermintyx

pepperminty

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »

Oh Gosh Birdy,

Extra estrogen even an extra half tablet in my case turns me into a crying mess of emotions. I wish I could suggest something. How did you feel before you started HRT? was it this bad? Anxiety is dreadful I know. And it is 10 times harder to function with no sleep. You sound completely exhausted. Believe me you aren't crazy. Keep posting, you have a good support network on here and I am sure all these lovely ladies will support you. Are you writing a diary every day? Sometimes charting how we feel can indicate a patturn ?

PMX

Pinkjan4288

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »

Hi....
Im on sequential Utrogestan 200mg plus Oestrogel (2 pumps ) everyday.
 Ive noticed when I have to stop the Utrogestan I have awful PMT for about 5 days. its horrible.  :(

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 05:50:55 PM »

Hi Birdy

I know this is a thread about progesterone but just to say that some women absorb oestrogen very well from gel (others not so well) so depending on your size and BMI (and skin) you might be getting quite a high dose from two pumps (eg if you are small and slim). If you are one of those who absorb well then that could be quite a lot to start with if your oestrogen is low and it is often suggested to start low and slow and gradually build up so that your body acclimatises and to minimise side effects. Of course, some women need 4 pumps but some manage on only one!

I'm sorry I can't remember exactly where you are in natural menopause?

I hope you're feeling better now?

Hurdity x

Mandyj

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 08:09:38 AM »

I have had to stop taking the Utrogestan at night as the indigestion is unbearable so painful and it was effecting my life. I researched taking it vaginally (100mg) and started a week ago I got an applicator online. The change has been fantastic very little indigestion and an overall better feeling. My question is I can’t take the normal progesterone as I have awful discharge that applies with the mirena coil as well so does anyone else take utrogestan vaginally for HRT. Oh I also have the Everol patch 25g. I dont want to take the combined patch as even the lowest one has got 50g estrogen which I don’t need or like.
Thank you
Mandy

candicet

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 03:32:35 PM »

I have had to stop taking the Utrogestan at night as the indigestion is unbearable so painful and it was effecting my life. I researched taking it vaginally (100mg) and started a week ago I got an applicator online. The change has been fantastic very little indigestion and an overall better feeling. My question is I can’t take the normal progesterone as I have awful discharge that applies with the mirena coil as well so does anyone else take utrogestan vaginally for HRT. Oh I also have the Everol patch 25g. I dont want to take the combined patch as even the lowest one has got 50g estrogen which I don’t need or like.
Thank you
Mandy

Hi Mandy - I take Utro vaginally 100mg every other day (Louise Newson's recommendation). It's a bit better than by mouth, but I'm still hung over when I take it. May I ask, would you mind posting a link for the applicator you bought? I'd like to get one.

Thankyou x