Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: First week on Utrogestan questions  (Read 1482 times)

mumandwife

First week on Utrogestan questions
« on: March 16, 2021, 02:00:14 AM »

Hi

This is my first week after asking to be swapped from Provera to Utrogestan.  I take 1 x 100 capsule each night at 9pm. (continuous)

Normally before starting Utrogestan my sleep has been amazing.  I am always so grateful - head hits the pillow and I'm asleep!  Wake to go loo then right back to sleep.  However, it's changed :-(

My first night I slept like a baby.  2nd and 3rd nights have been strange.  Feeling sleepy at 10.30 bedtime but takes a while to actually fall asleep. I feel tired but seem to wake several times in the night and be awake for a while each time.  It's pretty annoying!

i don't think it's insomnia because I do feel really tired and I do go back to sleep.  I guess it's just that my sleep is now affected by the Utrogestan and I'm wondering if this is a normal thing? 

During the day I still feel a bit brain foggy/heady but not as bad as I did on Provera.  I'm wondering if increasing the Patch from 75 to 100 would help with this?  It's my one symptom that has never gone away and never been address by Dr - she doesn't believe HRT helps with anything apart from hot flushes. 

I'm a bit confused about hot flushes - I still am aware that they are happening sometimes during night/day but they don't really bother me unless I' rushing around.  Putting this with the brain fog I'm wondering - is this a symptom that increasing the patch would help, or is how it should be if your symptoms are under control?

I'm sorry about the mixed up questions - I just have no one to turn to as Dr just isn't helpful and I'm alone in this.

Thanks for listening :-)

S

racjen

Re: First week on Utrogestan questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:44:04 PM »

You don't say how much oestrogen you're on, but if you're still getting hot flushes then it's pretty likely you need to up the dose - they should be one of the first things to go!

mumandwife

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 01:05:13 AM »

Sorry, I forgot to mention the dosage of Estrogen.

I am currently on 75 patch.

The flushes are the least of my problem, even though I sometimes still feel them.  It's more the brain fog, weird heady feeling.  I wonder if going up in estrogen will help that?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 08:07:51 AM »

Have your stomach problems settled down? I remember the first night you were awake with horrible nausea and stomach pain and were maybe going to try the vaginal route? Sorry nothing to do with the weird head feeling but I just wondered  ;D

Taz x

mumandwife

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 02:49:57 AM »

Hi Taz,
Thanks for asking after me.

i felt so ill that night with pains and nausea!  The next day I was dreading the evening as I knew I had to take another pill!!!  I figured that I could take just 1 x 100 pill instead of 2 and see how I tolerated it.  I figured I'd either feel a little like I did the night before but not as bad.

I took the pill and slept like a baby!  No bloating, no pain, no nausea.  Then I had to figure out what to do long term.

Previously when on Provera progestin the Dr had told me to go conti, as it had been 8 mths since last period.  However, I had spotted on and off.  That's why when I asked to be swapped to Utrogestan the Dr had said go back to cyclical - 2 x 100 caps at night.

Anyhoo, due to feeling that I was tolerating the 1 cap per night well I would try the continual method and see how I went.  It's now been 4 nights and no spotting so I'm really hoping that all will be OK.

I'm 55yrs old and I'm hoping that it will work out.  I really didn't want to go vaginally if I could help it - much easier to swallow a pill :-)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »

Thanks for the update. Sounds really hopeful that you will be able to continue with this regime so I've got my fingers crossed for you. Glad the horrible nausea etc was a one off too.

Taz x  :)

mumandwife

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 04:20:31 AM »

Thanks for the update. Sounds really hopeful that you will be able to continue with this regime so I've got my fingers crossed for you. Glad the horrible nausea etc was a one off too.

Taz x  :)

After saying all that, today I've started with a few crampy pains which makes me feel like my period is going to come :-(.  There has certainly been something nice about having no spotting after having it on and off for a while.

A couple of days ago I went up from a 75 patch of estrogen to a 100 patch.  Could this cause bleeding?

I'm really hoping it's not due to the Utrogestan.

Thanks,
S