Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Can a combined contraceptive pill like Qlaira be effective as HRT?  (Read 2105 times)

LionLioness

• First Flush

Hey all  :)

Any experiences to share about using Qlaira as HRT? My main menopause symptoms are major moodswings, much worse than PMT (previously thought was PMDD till realised was probably peri/menopause), plus severe vaginal atrophy (topical estrogen gel hasn't worked).

I'm 44, no period for 2 years, Gyno says my estrogen levels very low, almost non-existent. However, this is what my he thinks i should take, which seems weird to me as not licensed as HRT treatment.

Bit wary of the synthetic progesterone in it (as went loopy on depo provera when i was in my 20s), but he seemed to think wouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms and prescribed Qlaira instead of other HRT? How did it go/is it going? Do i try it out for 5/6 months, or seek a second opinion before trying? Is a bit complicated as i'm in spain and not sure they are happy about prescribing separate progesterone and oestrogen.

I just can't decide what to do and feeling a bit desperate for some releif, so any advice or experiences to share, very much appreciated!!

Taz2

Re: Can a combined contraceptive pill like Qlaira be effective as HRT?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 04:03:07 PM »

Hi LionLioness.

You are experiencing an early menopause if you haven't had a period for two years and are still only 44. The treatment for this is definitely HRT and not a contraceptive pill. You need HRT in order to replace the oestrogen which should naturally be yours until the usual age of meno which is 50/51. There is a menu at the top of the screen giving treatments etc. This is the part which mentions early menopause and is under "Menopause"(funnily enough  ;D) https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/menopause.php You can download the info if you want. I wouldn't try Qlaira out for a few months to be honest as oestrogen has a protective effect on both your heart and bones so the sooner you start it the better. It will also help with the vaginal atrophy. Lots of us on here are on both systemic and topical HRT in order to keep this horrible symptom at bay.

I can appreciate that being in Spain it is difficult to get the treatment you want  - I think we have other members who are also there so they may be able to help. Let us know how you get on. Sorry for the rushed reply but wanted you to know that we do understand!

Taz x  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 05:35:02 PM »

I agree you should use hrt. BCPs tend to be prescribed for younger women in peri but in meno you need sufficient oestrogen now to protect your heart and bones until at least your early 50s (I would take it for longer than this).

CrispyChick

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:39:36 PM »

What the other ladies have said sounds right. I'm 44 but defo peri. Still having plenty of periods. I'm trying the pill to ease my symptoms, but sounds, like you are past the peri stage and need the full top up.

There us a thread below about qlaira (and other pills) for peri, take a look. X