Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hiatus hernia  (Read 1175 times)

Smokey

Hiatus hernia
« on: March 12, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »

Hello ladies

I’ve not been here for a good while probably a year. 

I’m feeling so Ill  on and off it seems like every day at the moment.

I had a hiatus hernia diagnosed many years ago and was sparked off last summer I think by coffee (my son brought me a coffe machine).

I’ve also had gastritis at Christmas time I was prescribed Lanspronal seemed to clear up, but get lots of indigestion and a pain in my back the centre it’s like a burning aching feeling, I stopped lanspronal and then indegestion re appeared so am back on it.  I think hiatus hernia is causing it as for the back pain maybe that’s part of it I really don’t know. Together with period pains cropping back up last couple of months which I don’t normally have as have coil and no bleed and I’m getting nausea on and off too together with my ms I’m feeling very sorry for myself at the moment.

Anyone else get similar or have hiatus hernia ?

Many thanks

Ann (Smokey)

Taz2

Re: Hiatus hernia
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 05:54:40 PM »

Hi Ann. How miserable for you. I've got a hiatus hernia diagnosed a few years ago via endoscopy. I had ulceration of the oesophagus too. I take omeprazole each morning before getting up and this keeps it under control. What medication were you given for the hernia as I've been told that I'll need to take omeprazole for life.

I think that you can get both back and chest pain from a hiatus hernia. Were you given any advice after the gastritis? You often get a rebound effect when you stop the medication. Maybe a chat with your GP?

Taz x

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 12:35:44 PM »

Hi Taz2

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

When I originally was diagnosed with hiatus hernia it was diagnosed with endoscopy to but was only advised to cut out fatty foods and eat smaller meals, I don’t think I was prescribed anything else at that time, but have since had spells of taking lanspronal for various ms meds to protect my stomach but of course when I came off my medication I stopped the lanspronal too.  I completely forgot I had a hernia until last summer as I’d had no problems with food until I started having gallbladder problems which I had removed two years ago I didn’t realise it would be advisable to stay on lanspronal long term as doctors pretty useless at my surgery. It doesn’t help that every time you speak to a doctor it’s a different one each time. I’m currently back on lanspronal since last week my indigestion is under control now but I’m still getting the back pain which seems to come and go even without eating any fatty foods,  I have been worrying this pain could be something else.  I’m having blood tests done on 1st of April for various routine things and to check my liver enzymes are ok as my ms med can cause changes.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Ann x (Smokey)

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 05:53:14 PM »

Hi smokey....I also have a hiatus hernia with GERD.  Yes a hiatus hernia can cause severe chest pains, back pain and horrific burning.  I am on Rabeprazole and have been for several years.  They found it when I thought I was having a heart attack which turned out to be the hernia.  Mine is very well controlled with Rab. so you may need to stay on proton pump inhibitors for life.  Quality vs Quantity.

Justjules

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 06:31:56 PM »

Hi Smokey, this is me too at the moment. Keep feeling so ill on and off, especially early morning and then till about lunch time. I’ve not been diagnosed with hiatus hernia but have had gastritis in the past and take Lansoprazole daily and have done for years. Had gallbladder out so was put on them. Don’t know what to eat either as everything seems to affect my stomach apart from the blandest of foods.
I’m very stressed out, have been told but nutritionist that my adrenals are not functioning because of the stress I’ve been under, this on top of this bloomin virus and lockdown is definitely adding to my situation so it could be that with you too. Some days I can’t muster up the energy for anything and I’m in tears most days too. You’re not alone in feeling so bad.