Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Flatulance following Salpingo-Oophorectomy procedure and HRT  (Read 1080 times)

soulgirlgail

• First Flush

Hi,

First time posting on a forum, so I hope I am in the right chat for some help.
I'm 47 and 6 months ago I had a Salpingo-Oophorectomy to remove both ovaries and tubes due to a 5cm cyst. A Mirena Coil was fitted during the operation, and 3 weeks later I started on Everol 50 patches.

Generally, I have not had any issues post-op or with the HRT, and I have not had the number of hot flushes I have had in the past year or mood swings. However, the only issue I have is flatulence and lots of it, and I don't know whether it is because of op or the HRT.

I am starting to get really anxious as I will returning back to the office in a few months and can't sit there surrounded by people farting all day!

Has anyone got any ideas about what could be causing it and how I can resolve it? My doctor has been no help at all.

Thanks in advance

KaraShannon

Re: Flatulance following Salpingo-Oophorectomy procedure and HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 10:26:23 PM »

I've vaguely heard of this, possibly about ovary removal before, but don't quote me on it.  If I'm right it's temporary, but can't remember the reason. 

HRT can do that, mainly because of a change in hormones rather than the HRT per se.  So hopefully it should settle down before you get back to work. 

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 09:03:44 AM »

I have definitely noticed more flatulence with HRT. The one thing that seems to make a big difference is a daily probiotic. I take Bio- Kult. Worth a try?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »

In some procedures air is blown into the cavity in order to see the specific organs.  I would ring my Consultant's secretary and ask the question.

:welcomemm:  let us know how you get on?

soulgirlgail

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 08:53:26 PM »

Thanks everyone, I will try the Bio kult and will see if that helps :)