Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie :)  (Read 1451 times)

rcmckee

• First Flush
Newbie :)
« on: March 13, 2021, 06:11:14 PM »

Hi  ;D

So I am 48 and had a hysterectomy at 31 and my ovaries later removed when 33. I have been on Premarin ever since but have noticed that I am getting hot flushes, night sweats, not sleeping and have recently been feeling low enough for my GP to put me on Sertraline. I know that I will have technically been in the menopause from the moment my ovaries were removed but I'm wondering if after being on HRT for all this time that it is starting to lose its efficacy? I don't really want to stop taking Premarin as it took a while to find the right treatment (and I had warned the GP my mood swings were epic....) but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can try? Any and all advice is very welcome.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie :)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 06:22:57 PM »

:welcomemm:

Some1 will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that there maybe a small piece of ovary left which can occasionally produce enough hormone to over-ride HRT.

How long have you been taking the Sertraline, my friend found it works wonders  ;)

sheila99

Re: Newbie :)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 07:44:10 PM »

You need a higher dose as you're getting meno symptoms. IIWY I'd ask for a transdermal alternative as it's safer than oral (and particularly the older ones made from horse urine) so gel or patch. Unless you're allergic to the carrier you should be OK on the right dose of any of them, usually people have problems with the progesterone which of course you don't need. You'll be on hrt longer than most of us so important you find the right one, certainly an ad is not an appropriate alternative.