Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Skin burning sensations everywhere  (Read 3739 times)

Helmsley

• First Flush
Skin burning sensations everywhere
« on: March 09, 2021, 12:36:10 PM »

Hi. I feel desperate for answers. I’ve had all limbs , face , scalp , mouth , lips and tongue tingling / burning. Feels like I’m under a sun bed burning. It last for hours and at times gets really intense. I’ve had a whole range of blood tests. All normal. I’m on Levothyroxine but all that is fine. I had Covid in November and have severe fatigue from that. I’m peri menopausal at 50. Doctors just say there’s lots of strange symptoms with long Covid and I feel lost and depressed by it all. Just started Escitalopram. Any help appreciated. Thanks

RebJT

Re: Skin burning sensations everywhere
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 02:34:35 PM »

Sorry you are suffering.

Could it be a histamine / mast cell response, seen a few covid people complain of this and it's also common with peri (estrogen and histamine go around in a loop, a few threads going on this currently)?

Also I had a thyroidectomy ten years ago (long story, absolute horror show) and one thing I've learned along the way is NEVER take a GP's 'all normal there' at face value, have you got copies of your results?  The level of avoidable suffering going on (particular for women who make up 90% of thyroid patients) is a medical (and feminist) scandal.

How are your periods?  Have they tested your iron?  Low iron is very common and it's incredibly badly treated and understood in primary care (and also has a link with histamine and mast cells) https://www.oatext.com/iron-deficiency-without-anemia-common-important-neglected.php - many symptoms are wrongly diagnosed as psych when they are in fact easily fixed with iron supplementation, good list of symptoms in that paper.

Hang in there.  As someone who has really, really, really suffered with my health over the last decade, it's important to cling to this truth: Logic dictates there is an answer to your problem.  There is.  So don't give up hope.  However, this is probably going to mean taking control of your own health, this can be tricky and disheartening, but on my darkest days I have clung to the fact that there IS an explanation.  99.9 times out of 100 I have found it.  I've had to be a bit creative to get around unhelpful and patronising doctors, but it can be done.  Lots of women on this forum doing the same.

Reb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 02:43:02 PM »

Hi this sounds like an over-all allergic reaction to something.

Have you altered your diet in the last 5-6 weeks?  Some get a reaction to the fillers or packaging of products.  The active ingredient is fine, it's what it's packed in that can be problematic.

Ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist?  Or an endocrinologist to talk about thyroid function. Unfortunately UK GPs will accept the 'within normal limits' results for thyroid function, levels which would initiate further investigations in other parts of the World.

Let us know how you get on.

Jasmine20

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 06:13:06 PM »

Sarahjane

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 04:01:07 PM »

I have the same burning especially in my feet and legs but it can also be it in my arms and back. It is so painful at times and my skin can feel tight with it and then at times produces painful goosebumps.
I believe it is hormone related as I have had relief from it when going onto HRT however I have never been able to ge tmy levels right so it does return. I have had it on and off for at least three years and I have not had Covid.

mandss

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »

Question for Helmsley.. Are you from there?? x

Jillm

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 12:04:49 AM »

I also have the same symptoms of buzzing under skin in my lower legs, especially the left. Recently I have it all over, like an internal fizzing/slight burning sensation.
Also at various times the skin on my scalp and areas of my face feel slightly buzzy and tight. I have had the buzzy legs for over 2 years and before that for about 3 years burning tongue. I am 58 and post meno approx 4 years, my symptoms really ramped up after my periods stopped.
Also as far as I know I have not had Covid, so for me I think the overall buzzing/burning is meno related.