Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help....rash, jitters and hot flushes.  (Read 1282 times)

Peri-wrecked

Help....rash, jitters and hot flushes.
« on: March 07, 2021, 11:40:52 AM »

Hello ladies, I feel like I'm tormenting ye now. I am currently on the mirena coil since december 2nd 2020 and started patches 75mcg 2 weeks after mirena insertion. Things were plodding along but I felt no miraculous changes but thought I'd give or a few months to settle. Anyway, I developed a rash on my thigh which I thought was chilblains but I'm not sure as I developed the rash before when on microlite pill and turns out it's the same progesterone as in the mirena coil so I'm thinking maybe I'm allergic to that progesterone?? Anyway, the rash isn't really a major concern of mine.....my gp upped my parch dose to 100mcg 2-3 weeks ago because I'm 38 and she felt my the 75 mcg was too low. Anyway, yesterday evening I developed the jitters and internal shakes out of nowhere. I though maybe low blood sugar or too much caffeine but I also got extremely cold to the point I had to go to bed. I woke at 4 am this morning sweating mad and just tossed for hours. I was due to change my patch today which I have just done but the hot flushes are unreal. I've opened all the windows in the house and I'm still sweating mad...... is the patch too high or is it running out of juice sooner than expected or am I not absorbing it properly? Any ideas? I feel so off balance today.  I don't know what to do next? I'm feeling fed up with it all.  Do I need to give it more time?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help....rash, jitters and hot flushes.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:50:21 PM »

MayB your own hormones haveing a party?

If you are 38 you are in 'early' perimenopause: mayB have a look-C at the daisy web-site which is specifically for 'early' symptoms? 

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:01:24 PM »

Thank you Clkd.....do you think my own hormones are mixing with the patch? Am I right in assuming the mirena is only blocking the progesterone and that my own estrogen is in full swing still? I wonder would i be better off going on a contraceptive pilot stop my own hormones? The Daisy Network is good but i find this site is better as women are much more knowledgeable here. Thank you for your advice though. I really appreciate it. :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Also, if you put the names of the products in the search box on the Forum - individually - to see what pops up?   Make notes  ;)

Hormones rise and fall 24/7 so occasionally they might overtake the HRT? 

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 10:10:13 PM »

If you think you're allergic to it you need to see your gp and get it removed as soon as possible. I developed an allergy to evorel patches and they were very keen to make sure I stopped immediately. Why did she increase the dose? I would reduce it and see if your symptoms settle, you can cut a piece off the new patch. It's also possible you've caught a virus causing these symptoms.
If your gp isn't knowledgeable you can ask for a referral to a menopause clinic. You really need to find something that suits you as you should be on it at least until you're 50. The mirena adds progesterone, it doesn't stop your own hormones. If you use a BCP instead of hrt you need to make sure it's one with sufficient oestrogen.

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 10:32:49 PM »

Hi Sheila99,
Thank you for your reply. My gp said that because of my age (38) that I needed a higher does of estrogen. She said 75mcg was too little. I just assumed the mirena coil took over my own progesterone- am I still producing my own progesterone too on top of the coil and the same with estrogen????
I was referred to a gynaecologist who inserted the coil, gave me a prescription for 75mcg patch and discharged me.from her clinic with no need for a follow up.....and she's supposed the be the expert in menopause within our county........she has a horrible manner about her and no compassion at all.  I was referred to her clinic years ago when I first had symptoms and she let all the trainee doctors attend to me everytime and I didnt get to meet her until a yr and a half later and that was only after one doctor decided to do an amh test just to silence me and it came back extremely low and she ushered me into the office on the follow up and apologised for never seeing me prior to that and she told me I needed a lot of care and then discharged me  ::) :: she runs a private clinic too so I imagine if I paid her 200/300 a visit she would be calling me back every week......I'm ranting now.... sorry. She just makes me cross.......

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 08:59:21 AM »

I HATE the word 'expert'  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Is there a menopause clinic in your local hospital?

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 10:08:07 AM »

Hi Clkd,

Unfortunately, she is the menopause/gynecologists consultant in the local hospital as well. Local hospital is an hours drive away and she's the only person that deals with these issues there.
She has a monopoly on it here. Thing is she gets lots of write ups about being very good and knowledgeable. I've no doubt she's a good gynacologist but as for the rest I'm not sure. I'll visit my own gp next week if things don't improve.
Thank you again.

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 04:10:11 PM »

You should be on the minimum amount of oestrogen that controls your symptoms and that's different for each of us. If they were under control on 75 then 100 will be too much. Jitters can be a sign of too much though I'm not sure about the sweating. You're right the mirena doesn't stop your own cycle so if you're peri rather than meno you will still have your own hormone fluctuations which obviously makes it harder to find the right dose for you. Most people are started on 50mg in peri then it's altered up or down as necessary. The other thing that might be putting a spanner in the works is the mirena. Did you feel any different after they put it in? It can be useful to start on a cyclical regime (obviously can't do it with the coil) but because you have an oestrogen only phase you know if it's the progesterone that's causing problems (and it usually is the progesterone).

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 08:57:13 PM »

Hi Sheila,
To be honest I did feel funny when I first got the mirena inserted but I had been charting symptoms before that and I was expecting to feel different with initial side effects and adapting to the extra hormones. When I put on my first patch a few weeks later I was very light headed, off balance and fuzzy headed for an entire day. It felt like I was unsteady on my feet and that the ground was coming up to meet me.
I'm not sure which one is causing the problems really. I'll give this regime another while. I really don't want to remove the coil just yet as I had to go under anaesthetic to get it inserted. Although, I do feel that maybe I will have to get it removed if things don't change for the better soon and possibly go on something that shuts my own hormones down completely. I didn't realise that my own hormones would still be bouncing around erratically along with the added hormones. Well I knew my estrogen might be but I thought the mirena would take over my progesterone levels........this is such a guessing game. I know being on 75mcg didn't do anything really for me. In fact I felt slightly worse than before I started HRT so I guess I'll be making a decision soon enough. I wish I was a lucky one who got the magic potion first time round. Well I'm willing to try again and hopefully find my cure. It's not for the faint hearted. Women are so strong. Happy international women's day everyone .