Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Update - Spoke to GP  (Read 1937 times)

SaraC2773

Update - Spoke to GP
« on: March 05, 2021, 04:35:23 PM »

So I thought I'd update as I spoke to the GP today about my period after months and she said she's not concerned,  all sounds very normal for going through the menopause!

I told her my concerns and she said Gynae only want to know if it's been over 12 months and because I had a couple of days spotting in Sept that is also considered as a bleed. So her words were to keep logging it and obviously contact her again if I have worrying symptoms or the bleeding gets really bad.

I have to say I thought it had stopped as I went all yesterday evening and night with nothing,  got up this morning and started pottering around and I had a mini flood again which lasted all of a an hour or so and virtually nothing all day apart from some very light brown/pink spotting.

So we will see how long it goes on for!

Think I might have to get a new prescription for some medication for my anxiety though. I find I'm ok through the day but the mornings I wake at 5 and just lie there with a knot in my stomach and my mind racing.  Every little symptom I've over analysing and fretting about and I really hoped I could stay off the medication but I don't feel like I have much quality of life.  Since I stopped my medication in Sept I've basically been a ball of anxiety/panic attacks and nervous energy. :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Update - Spoke to GP
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »

:thankyou: 4 the update.  Cortisol hormone can wake us in the early hours, it can be awful.

Which medication did U stop in Sept.? 

SaraC2773

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 05:15:00 PM »

Hi CLKD

I was on Effexor which actually did a really good job of controlling the anxiety and I had my HA under control for the best part of 5 years.

I came off of it because the sweating was quite bad and dealing with hormonal hot flushes were bad enough.  It also has the additional dry mouth/nose/eyes symptom which increases with menopause and it was a bit much but I'm now starting to thing that maybe I should just put up with them!

The GP tried me on prozac for a few months but it was unbearable I was literally having panic attacks daily so I came off of that.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 07:54:06 PM »

Prozac made me  :cuss:  I would spit bricks  ;D

I used 'rescue remedy' mouth spray successfully.  And relaxation therapy ..........

My worst time was between 3.30 and 10.30 a.m.: then I had to face deciding on what to eat for lunch.  Improved after that and was a different person by evening  ::)

SaraC2773

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 08:23:14 PM »

Yes I can relate to that,  I wake up about 5,  fret and worry until about 11.00 and then feel calmer and more relaxed as the day goes on.  I almost don't want to go to bed because I know it will start again. ::)

Must be the cortisol, I'd heard that before.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »

4 me as the day went by I shed any commitments ........... I had to learn not to say 'yes' to anything int he evenings.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 10:09:15 PM »

It'sggood she isn't concerned. Are you on HRT? It cured my anxiety. I could also go to sleep at night then woke in the early hours worrying about everything.

SaraC2773

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 08:54:37 AM »

Hi Sheila,

I'm not on HRT.

I have thought about it but have been put off by a couple of people who have struggled with it.

I never got on with any hormone contraceptions and took forever to find a pill that agreed with me,  the Mirena made me bleed constantly so I worry that I'd struggle to find anything that I got along with.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 09:29:56 AM »

Hi Sara

There are many different types of HRT and this is recommended as the first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms including flushes and associated anxiety rather than the anti-depressants you have tried. We can help you look for and try out some of the different preparations if you feel you would like to try again. Don't be put off by negative stories from people you know! There are plenty of successes! This would be preferable to taking medication such as anti-depressants as the right dose of oestrogen will prevent menopausal flushes. HRT is not like hormonal contraception because it contains our own oestrogen hormone estradiol (biologically identical)  rather than the very strong synthetic ones used in the Pill. Once you are post-menopausal if you find a progestogen that suits you then you can take it every day for a "no-bleed" regime although you my get spotting for the first 6 months.

Hurdity x

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 01:29:18 PM »

I couldn't find a contraceptive pill I could get on with either but haven't had the same problems with hrt. If your anxiety came with peri there's a very good chance hrt will cure it. Mine has completely gone though it did take 3 months. The way I look at we get meno symptoms because we are deficient in oestrogen so adding oestrogen is far more appropriate than anti depressants. I hope you'll consider trying it, living with anxiety is awful and there's really no need to suffer. Yes, there may be a period of trial error until you settle on the regime that's right for you but most people are perfectly fine on the whatever their gp prescribes. The ones who have trouble post on here  :).

SaraC2773

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »

Hi Sheila

Well that's good to hear as I just assumed that because I didn't get on with the pill/coil, HRT would be the same.

Unfortunately,  I've pretty much always had anxiety and whilst I'm currently undergoing CBT and Hypnotherapy it's still there. I'm starting to know where it comes from and why I have it but I think it's got a lot worse with the fluctuating hormones.

Interestingly enough I spoke to my sister-in-law yesterday and she's one of the calmest people I know but she was getting herself in such a state with anxiety and she was worrying about all sorts of things.

Fortunately,  because I've been visiting this site I was able to tell her that it's highly likely that hormones are causing her symptoms but it made me realise how much hormones affect you. As I say she's always so level headed but the last few months has been getting herself worked up about a whole host of things that she wouldn't normally be batting at eyelid about.

It's certainly a bumpy ride!

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 03:21:51 PM »

I couldn't get on with the contraceptive pill but have had good success with HRT over the past fourteen years.

I also think it would benefit you to try it because, as Hurdity says, there are different types. Also I believe you are under 50 so it is especially important to give your heart and bones protection.

Taz x

SaraC2773

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »

Thank you Hurdity,

Sorry but I didn't see your post when I replied to Sheila.

Can I ask a question  regarding HRT and my weight.  I am quite overweight and was doing really well with losing it (up until lockdown and the closure of the gyms).  My GP has never mentioned this and has offered HRT in the past but it's something that has concerned me as I always thought if you were overweight you shouldn't take HRT?

As soon as the gyms are open I plan to go back and I've started my healthy eating again but I've really struggled with it during lockdown and I think my anxiety levels haven't helped as I've tended to eat what I fancy rather than what I should!

Taz yes you are correct I'm 48 this month so just under 50.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 06:13:25 PM »

High blood pressure is often linked to being over weight and this would need to be brought under control before starting HRT usually. I don't think that weight alone would prevent you using HRT. Also, because you are under the normal menopausal age, you are merely replacing the oestrogen which your body should have been making naturally. Any risks don't come into play until after the age of 50.

Taz x  :)