Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Help hrt making skin itchy  (Read 3919 times)

tammiegurl

Help hrt making skin itchy
« on: March 05, 2021, 07:00:51 AM »

Hi all I'm from Australia but this seems a great forum for all things menopause. I started hrt tablet form 3months ago and boy has my life changed for the better!! However the last two weeks the skin on my arms, head and sometimes shoulders is getting insainley itchy!! Like pin ****ly itchy!!! And I am going nuts!! My doctor changed me from Femoston 1/10 to estalis sequi 50/140 and I put my first patch on last night. I had a fantastic night however this afternoon the itch is back and I'm back where I started!! Can anyone offer any suggestions??? I love the difference hrt has made to my life however I cannot cope with this intense itch for another 10 years!! Im just about to turn 52 and have had menopause symptoms for years and my last period was 11months ago.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help hrt making skin itchy
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 09:00:42 AM »

Low oestrogen!  It can cause the body to become dry: inside and out; skin, deep in the ears, eyes, scalp, vagina, anus ..........

:welcomemm:  mayB put the product names into the search box on the Forum to see what pops up?  Make notes  ;)

I use a good moisturiser when necessary.  Sometimes the itching feels like it's inside the skin, deeper than surface level - if that makes sense.

Do read 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads - 4warned is 4armed

tammiegurl

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I already have/had bladder issues they are on and off with the hrt.  Just to add its night here so I've had overnight and all day today on the first day of patch and just in the last hour I've developed a headache and the hot flushes are back so disappointed!!

I also feel both tablet and patch are affecting my asthma. 

Why does this have to be so hard :'(

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 11:13:33 AM »

It's The Change. Does what it says on the tin  ::)

Get yourself some appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.  It's a separate HRT to other types in that it targets the dryness inside and around the vagina - 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' are usually offered in the UK.  'yes' and 'sylc' products help too on the outer areas.  Some use 'vagifem' internally every night if necessary with 'ovestin' round the labia to stop itching. 

BeeBinny

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 06:00:02 AM »

🙋‍♀️ Hi,
I feel your pain, I have developed an itchy rash after 7 months on Estrogel/Prometrium. I think it is the HRT, GP can not find anything else 🤷🏼‍♀️.
I really felt good on this HRT!
Will book In to chat with Prof Eden in Sydney as I prefer the approved body identical HRTs.
Hopefully he can shed some light ??

tammiegurl

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 12:56:35 AM »

So good to see some fellow Australians. I ended up with a shocking migrainne on the patch so went back to femoston 1/10. I'm still itchy on the grey tablets but it's way way worse on the white tablets!!! Im on day 4 of the white and started a bleeding last night and got so itchy again!! Today I'm nuts with it!! I see my doctor on the 31st and going to weigh up my options!!

Sarahjane

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 06:04:41 PM »

Hi ,
another Australian here.  :)
I am on 50 Estrodot and 100 Prometrium and my skin feels like it's on fire or being stuck with pins. Its mainly in my feet and ankles but moves around to face, hands, wherever it feels like it wants to.
It makes it hard for me to get comfortable and to concentrate.
In the UK at the moment due to Covid travel restrictions and don't have access to great medical care where I am. Not sure if it is the Prometrium or not enough estrogen.
Still waiting to feel like a million dollars like one doctor suggested I would on HRT.  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 06:26:26 PM »

SarahJane - have you registered with a GP Surgery local to where you are living?  Or speak to a Pharmacist in your area.

BeeBinny

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »

Update re Rash:
Found a great new GP that is very familiar with Estrogel & Prometrium.
(Prof via e-mail was very vague)
Both her and the dermatologist suggested I stay on my HRT- GP adjusted dose, 1 pump and prometrium 25 days on 3 off, to help with intolerance (if it is that ) and thickening of lining.
Dermatologist got me on a 2 week regime of stuff- better already.
Let’s see how it goes after I am off the meds for skin.
They both reckon there is a high % of not finding out what caused the rash.
And can take up to 6 months to settle 😖😖. The joys !’  At least for now I can stay on the HRT - I really did not want to change 👏🏻

BeeBinny

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 10:34:57 AM »

Hi Sara Jane,
Prof Eden in Sydney does Telehealth consultations, he is and expert on Prometrium. Not sure if that might be an option for you with the time difference.

I did a Telehealth consultation with him, and found it very helpful.

BeeBinny

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 12:56:08 AM »

Update:
The rash did just not dissipate!
I went off both Estrogel & prometrium.
Rash nearly gone.
I have moved onto natural products for now and will reassess.
Using Femular Forte - got some good clinical trails behind it- not good if you have liver issues.
Keep hot flushes at bay, getting only about 3 a day , not to intense.
The road we travel 🤷🏼‍♀️