Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Raw diet for dogs vs kibble  (Read 11903 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Raw diet for dogs vs kibble
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2021, 08:58:24 AM »

How does he know raw food is nutritionally incomplete  ;D and I would like to see his research on dogs putting on weight through eating what comes naturally  ::) - what does he sell in his Surgery I wonder?

'natural' food probably  ;)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2021, 09:33:29 PM »

He sounds like a right clown. 😆
They get more obese on a raw diet?
It depends how much you give them. Feed anyone or anything lots of food, they’re sure to get fat.

My sons dog was fed a raw diet, was as trim and fit as could be, ( the dog, not my son) , if he was human, he’d look like a chippendale,  ;D he moved in with his girlfriend and her dog, who wasn’t fed raw.
As time went by, my son realised his dog was getting really fat, but couldn’t understand why. He had measured amounts of food everyday. 🤔🤔🤔
One day they came back from shopping, which, on this occasion they both went. Normally, it was just his girlfriend who went whilst my son was at work, ...on opening the kitchen door, they were greeted with kibble, all over the floor, ....whilst they were out, both dogs had managed to get into the pantry, and knocked all the bagged food over which was his girlfriend’s dogs food, and were munching away on it.  ;D .......his girlfriend then admitted, they were always doing it. .....which is why, his dog was so fat!  ;D ;D She’d never told him before,  ;D .....mystery solved! ...he wasn’t best pleased is all I’ll say!  ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2021, 09:31:33 AM »

That's reminded me: We had a sack of 'shapes' biscuits, including the charcoal ones.  She had 3 in the morning B4 her walk, 2 at night B4 bed.  However: we came home earlier than expected one evening to find her with nose in the sack: she had made a hole so that she could reach a single biscuit ........ what she would have done when the layer went down, we never found out  ;D

There's a lot of 'rubbish' in commercial dog foods: fillers to increase profits  >:(  ;)

jaypo

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »

I would never buy any of that chum stuff or anything by purina,like you say clkd it's bulked up and the wet food is half water,very little nutrients,the stuff I buy for the little dogs is 90% meat but costly,guess you get what you pay for

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2021, 04:06:01 PM »

My Gran used to cook mince and potatoes for her dogs.  A bit sloppy but they loved it.

My cat was allergic to 'Felix' but I didn't realise until 3 weeks B4 she died  :'(

jaypo

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2021, 06:29:41 PM »

Haha, I do enough bleedin cooking for humans,not starting for the dogs  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »

1 makes 'extras' and anything the kids left over went into the bowls. 

C.C.

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2021, 07:41:25 PM »

One diet that I will stop using is grain-free.  Apparently, the lentils and peas they use to substitute for the grains inhibit the absorption of taurine, which can lead to heart problems in certain breeds. My friend's dog developed a heart issue while on grain feed food and had to see a veterinary cardiologist (very expensive)  and was put on taurine supplement therapy.  The dog is 9 now and is doing quite well for a senior dog, she has been on Purina Pro Plan (recommended by the cardiologist) for 3 years. 

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2021, 09:41:52 AM »

In the wild dogs would eat:

freshly caught meat which may well include grasses/wheat as most prey will be deer, sheep, rabbits, hares etc. which graze
= gnawing on all sizes of bone which means marrow as well as breaking pieces of fur

they will cache what they can't eat, to dig up later when it's nicely 'matured'  ;D

because the gut will be stuffed, they sleep between meals which may be 2-3 days if they fail to catch = slim animals

dogs chew grasses as a gut cleanser and to clean teeth - my cocker loved the really stiff coarse reedy grass

they will drink muddy puddles as well as fresh water

there are no 'fillers' in their grub but because it's mainly meat, the gut will absorb or sick up anything that isn't required

pet dogs are quite simply, spoiled! and owners taken in by commercial pet food companies

It really is a matter of the breed of dog and convenience feeding.  Raw can be messy and takes more organisational skills than opening a tin/sack.
Lifestyle and environment plays a huge part in how owners decide to feed their pets

Mine was fed on various canned products, based on meat.  Plus 'bakers' meaty chunks or 'complete' when out walking, or other dried products.  Easier to feed when walking than opening a smelly can!  Lots of raw veg and she helped herself to raspberries etc. in our garden.  Peas and sweetcorn would 'go straight through'!

Lions:  What part of the body do animals eat first?

Organ meat is the first to be eaten. Except in rare cases, all significant pieces of muscles are eaten. Ribs are typically eaten, bones are often partially consumed, and nearly all the hide is commonly eaten. Even the muscles that make up the lining of the stomach are eaten.

If a dog is fed well and has plenty of exercise in order to burn off what it eats, it will stay healthy.  When we took ours on holiday to the Lake District we walked almost all day.  By Wed my cocker would be hungry in the night, do less poo on a walk and sleep heavier.  Because she was using up energy .......... by the end of the week when we stopped the car she would lift her head as if to say "not another walk?" and if it was for shopping she wouldn't move ......... she always went on the next walk though  ;)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 09:48:16 AM by CLKD »

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2021, 10:52:21 AM »

Dogs poo tells you a lot about what’s going on with them actually. 🤢
Not nice, but true.

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2021, 11:38:26 AM »

Yep.   Every morning I would check and during the day ......... one checks a baby's nappy, dog poo is far easier  ;).  Dogs fed raw pass very little, in fact as a child, all dog poo was white and chalky.

sheila99

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2021, 02:28:00 PM »

The diet they get in the wild is not necessarily ideal. They eat what they can get and may well be short of vitamins and minerals, there's a big difference between what will keep them alive and what they'd get in a perfect world. They all have worms and most will have ticks and/or lice.
A raw diet is just uncooked, it can be either balanced or unbalanced. Prepared food is more likely to be balanced but may well include things you'd rather not feed. Who knew farmers were feeding calves on brains dredged up from Ganges? Certainly the farmers didn't know, the bag just says x% protein.

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2021, 03:04:22 PM »

Is that what it was ?  Certified by who I wonder?  Cheap = cheap?

Getting rid of worms is why dogs often eat grass.  Our cat came home from the farm at 11 weeks full of 'em.  YUK  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2021, 06:56:51 PM »

Brains from the Ganges? 🤢🤮 whose brains? Do we know?  :sick02:

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2021, 07:12:17 PM »

Not mine  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6