Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Transdermal oestrogen only safe with varicose veins?  (Read 837 times)

Postmeno3

Transdermal oestrogen only safe with varicose veins?
« on: March 03, 2021, 08:24:38 AM »

I'm just wondering if anyone has varicose veins, but uses systemic, transdermal oestrogen safely? I'm going into conversation with the gp about it on Friday and would appreciate personal experience (even though we're all so different) and up-to-date knowledge so that I'm not led down an outdated view of safety implications, but can remain realistic and safe? Thanks!

Hurdity

Re: Transdermal oestrogen only safe with varicose veins?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:23:45 AM »

Hi postmeno3 - your post got missed. I haven't come across anyone talking about this before nor read about it although a quick google brings up sone research. Here is an article I found suggesting that the incidence of varicose veins is increased after menopause due to reduced oestrogen and progesterone and that oestrogen and progesterone maintain the health of veins:

https://veinreliever.com/menopause-varicose-veins/

I haven't followed up any of the references.

How did you get on with the doc?

Hurdity x

Postmeno3

Re: Transdermal oestrogen only safe with varicose veins?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 11:04:05 AM »

That's amazing, Hurdity. More ammunition. Thank you so much! I first got severe varicose veins during pregnancy as per the article.
Sadly, the doc who had been so pro systemic HRT etc seemed to have done a complete u-turn and started on big time about "risks". It was very upsetting, but he has referred me to "the gynaecologists", by which, I hope, he means the menopause clinic team. Thanks again! x
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:07:42 AM by Postmeno3 »