Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vaniqa Facial Hair  (Read 1220 times)

Deeble

Vaniqa Facial Hair
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:39:29 AM »

Hi
Has anyone experience  of using Vaniqa cream, used for slowing and reducing the growth of facial hair?
My hair growth has got very busy of late! I have always been a fairly hairy person especially facial hair since perimenopause. I tried electrolysis over a long period and the growth was minimal for a time. I don't think I would go through that again though especially as my skin is less resilient than it was. I have fair skin and red/grey hair and laser was not an option for me.
In recent months growth of facial hair has increased. I've recently stopped hrt but the increased growth was noticeable months prior to that. The tweezers are out daily again.
Was wondering if Vaniqa had any users out there?
One bonus of course is eyesight worsening at a similar rate so it doesn't look too bad without my glasses on!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaniqa Facial Hair
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 02:54:47 PM »

DH reckons that he doesn't notice the black hairs and soft down on each side of my face  >:( but in company I am conscious of it.  Tweezers are my 2nd Best Friend  ;)

Is this product a gel or more like a hand cream, does one leave it on .......... ?  I have a small 'razor'-type thingy to whip over those I can't reach with tweezers.

Deeble

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 04:07:22 PM »

Hi CLKD
Not sure if vaniqa is a gel or cream. I think it's left on the skin and absorbed - so as to act on the hair follicle?
I do have a little razor thing too.
I've read that sugars and carbs encourage hair growth, and sunlight (!).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 05:45:23 PM »

All the latter are essential though.   ::) .  In fact if we cut out essentials we may well grow more hair to keep us warm!

candicet

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:02:07 PM »

Hiya

I've used Vaniqa for about a year.
I am exactly the same sort of colouring as you and had really nice skin up to about 3/4 years ago and then last February I just couldn't take it any more. I had red marks from the daily plucking (I said "plucking"), and scabs.
I had Vaniqa and Retin A prescribed by a dermatologist and I have found that a combo of the 2 is good.
If you can get the Vaniqa prescribed by your doc I think it helps a bit along with:
I also use a "hollywood browser" which is a bit like a cut-throat, to "shave" my face which is actually a great exfoliator and removes the "peach fuzz".
The Retin A I mix with my moisturiser - just a tiny amount as it's quite strong and I think that this mix works very well as a 3 pronged attack on the sprouters.
Don't use the Retin A and the Vaniqa at the same time. I would use one at night (Retin A) and the Vaniqa on the affected areas in the day.

Deeble

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 11:41:57 AM »

Thanks for that info candicet - I'm going to be talking to my gp soon to review things since hysteroscopy in Jan (all clear) and my deciding to stop hrt (now 8 weeks in I think and going well). I'll talk to her then and see what response I get. It's expensive I think but since I'm not now on hrt (just using Vagifem) they may give me a trial on the Vaniqa to see if it works for me.
I don't have red marks or scabbing but I notice my skin is much thinner than it used to be and more likely to bleed if I'm a bit heavy handed with the tweezers - and the growth has certainly increased in recent months!
Thanks again. D x

candicet

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 06:01:13 PM »

No worries. I can relate to that.
I was prescribed it privately but it lasts a long time, and then my GP let me have it again on the NHS because it's an ongoing problem.

Good luck with everything x