Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Me again! - Spotting/period question  (Read 1017 times)

SaraC2773

Me again! - Spotting/period question
« on: February 26, 2021, 05:58:15 PM »

Hi everyone,

So I posted a couple of weeks ago to say that I thought my body was trying to ovulate and this has been happening ever since,  lots of stringy discharge (sorry!),  sore boobs, craving sweets etc.

Anyway,  yesterday went to the toilet and had lots of pink discharge along with a couple of spots of blood.  Today - nothing!  Yesterday I also had some quite bad period cramps like I was going to come on but today nothing.

This is the second time this has happened the last time was September.  Prior to that the last period I had was last March but that one and the few before that weren't really proper periods they were really light and only lasting 3 or 4 days.

I always had really heavy periods and so when they switched over to being quite light and only a few days I was quite surprised and now the last two haven't even really been anything other than a bit of spotting but all the symptoms of a period.

I will give my GP a call because with my HA obviously I'm fretting but I just wondered if this sounded like menopause?  I have read that periods can change significantly and sometimes you can have spotting instead of a period but it's just because the last two have been like this.

A few years ago I had several ultrasounds as I was having all sorts of bleeding issues and the last couple the tech said my womb lining was very thin and my ovaries were quite tiny for my age (at the time) which she said is indicative of nearing the change.

Just feels a bit weird and thought I'd ask if anyone else had anything similar.

Thanks

Taz2

Re: Me again! - Spotting/period question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 01:01:45 AM »

Hi Sara this is typical of peri menopause symptoms. Hormones fluctuate so your womb is never quite sure what it should be doing and when. I had periods like yours for a year or so then heavy bleeding and regular periods for a further year before missing periods for months at a time. This happened between 50 and 53.

Hope that helps ease your anxiety. Read up as much as you can about peri menopause to further reduce your fears.Let us know what the doc says.

Taz x   :hug:

SaraC2773

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 08:20:58 AM »

Thankyou Taz  :-*

I went to bed quite early last night as I felt really off,  woozy and just generally under the weather and was woken at 4am with the worst period cramps and more spotting but heavier so it might still develop into something.

I appreciate the reply as this whole peri/meno thing sometimes feels so lonely and I sit here thinking " is this normal/should this be happening". It's really lovely to be be able to come on here and talk to someone who knows what you are going through.

In a way I hope this does develop into a proper period as I just feel really lousy and I sometimes feel like my body needs to have a proper period - if that makes sense!

Shannonplussed

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 06:24:40 PM »

Maybe a short course of progesterone of some kind would help?

SaraC2773

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »

So just to update,  it looks like this is now a period as it's continued over the weekend to get heavier and more period like.  The cramps are awful and yesterday I was such a moody mare,  honestly,  I was grumping about everything!

I think my hormones are obviously trying to kick back it but for as much as I've been moody, crampy and a bit out of sorts my anxiety is a bit better.  Just goes to show how much the hormones affect us!!!

I guess I better restart the 12 month timer!

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 12:57:50 PM »

SraraC2773, sorry to hear that you had almost reached the menopause when your periods might have decided to kick in again.  This whole thing is unpredictable.  If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you had what you thought was last period?.  I had my last period in January 2020 and I was still 49 at the time.  I turned 50 in October 2020.  Unlikely you, I have no cramping or spotting so I think my periods are gone for good and I hope they don't come back.

SaraC2773

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 01:14:37 PM »

Hi Karine,  I was 47 and it was last March so literally a few weeks away from the year.  Although, I would probably have to count the Sept day of spotting and cramping so I guess it was 6 months.

It's really strange as I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago and we were both saying how our periods had virtually stopped,  she hadn't had one since April last year and then she called me last week to say one had appeared and now the same with me.

Hormones are strange things,  it will be interesting to see if this is and odd one or I start getting them again.

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 04:29:10 PM »

Yes.  It's problematic because with this we don't really know what to expect.  I've read somewhere that a lady had no periods for 15 months and then they came back.  How annoying!

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 07:57:42 AM »

If you are under 50 SaraC then the advice is different in that to be sure you are post meno you have to have gone two years without a period. Contraception needs to be used for two years rather than one.

Taz x

SaraC2773

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 10:00:30 AM »

Hi Taz, yes actually I did know that.

In fact I posted on here about it being two years a couple of weeks ago. I think I’m being a bit premature with my timer. 😂😂

I blame hormones, honestly I forget everything at the moment.  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 02:46:58 PM »

Me too  ;D

Taz x