Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: When to stop using HRT?  (Read 1113 times)

Franco

When to stop using HRT?
« on: February 23, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »

Hi All I have been using Estradiol 100micrograms twice a week for about 5 years and I am wondering when I should stop using HRT.

I feel fine using them but at nearly 58 should I be looking to come off HRT...could I have finished going through the menopause and be on the other side? Is there a benefit to continued use to bone and general health?

Unfortunately my GP practice aren't very helpful as most of the doctors are male and I've found they just don't have the knowledge or understanding of HRT so a conversation with them really doesn't help.

Feedback would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: When to stop using HRT?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »

If it ain't broke why mend it?

The way to find out if you have finished periods is to stop HRT and some really need to know.  However, if you find symptoms still bothersome the HRT may not work as well 2nd time round.

Do U keep a mood/symptom/food diary to chart progress?  Which symptom would you not like to have should U stop HRT?

I don't take HRT other than for vaginal atrophy but I know that once I found HRT that suited, I would get on.  I probably wouldn't think about how far along I might be.  Certainly when I found an antidepressant that works, I would never consider stopping it as I don't want symptoms to return.

Franco

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 03:25:47 PM »

Hi thanks for the quick response.

I had a partial hysterectomy 19 years ago so a very long time since I had a period :-)

I feel fine as have no sweats, mood swings (although my hubby might disagree!) and sleep fairly well.  I follow a keto diet and have lots of energy which I'm sure is helped by the fact I haven't been in the office for nearly a year!  In general I feel fine but just wonder when I should consider coming off HRT as there's not really much guidance on this. 

I take an antidepressant which I have for a very long time and will not consider coming off this so I'm not worried I will start to feel low if I stop HRT but there must come a time to stop using it?

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »

As far as I understand there is no need to come off HRT after a specified length of time and like CLKD says, if it ain't broke........

From what I understand, the risks of breast cancer are far less if you are not having to take progestogen with the oestrogen, (and even then the risks are much lower from that of being overweight or drinking in excess of the guidelines).

The 5 year mark is only mentioned with respect to pointing out that if you take hrt for 5 years, then the effect of the raised risk is soon gone.

Are you taking a tablet twice a week, or is that a patch?  Using a patch reduces some of the other risks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 04:26:50 PM »

That bus might creep up from behind long B4 other health issues occur  ;)

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 04:41:49 PM »

Hello Franco.

It is tempting to think that our bodies  adjust to post meno levels of hormones even whilst we are  taking HRT.  That may be the case for some women but for others all the menopause symptoms come back when we are no longer replacing the lost hormones.  In other words your sweats and mood swings could resume when you come off HRT and the only way to find out is to try.

Many ladies have been in your position so there will be plenty of advice and support whatever you decide to do.

Wishing you well.

K.

Deeble

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »

Hi Franco
I stopped using hrt early Jan (prompted by a random bleed that led to scan/biopsy). I was using a low dose - Femoston conti - and had occasionally tried (over 5 years) to either stop or to reduce to the ultra low femoston but without any great success.
Having to stop hrt prior to the Jan. scan seemed a good opportunity to see how I got on without the hrt. So, I'm still using Vagifem but am about 7 weeks with no hrt. I'm doing ok!
I've had episodes of tearful wobbles at times, and initially problems  sleeping, but over the last few days have felt the balance shift and have felt better for most of the day. More myself.
I had felt a loss of optimism in the first weeks but, fingers crossed, this is beginning to improve.
I've had night sweats which are new for me, but not too bad and not every night - although last night was not great.
I do feel my energy is improved and I'm less foggy-headed in the afternoon.
I felt ready to see how I got on without hrt. It's down to how you feel and if you want to try?
I'm not sure about the benefit for bone until or unless you knew you had osteoporosis?
I'm happy I'm giving it a try and hope I will be fine without, but who knows!
If you do stop hrt I would be extra kind to yourself, eat well and get out for a walk each day. Take a rest as soon as you need it and just see how it goes. Good luck whatever you decide. X
If not, I'll take another look at hrt and see what

solidgrounds

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:46:08 PM »

Interesting - I've been wondering about finding a lower dose of estradiol to try again longer-term. So I would still receive some benefits but maybe with fewer side-effects? I think this would have to be a patch, though - so I could always cut my existing patches down and see how I get on! However, I moved over to the estradiol spray last year and only use one spray and this has worked reasonably well but I do have more water-retention and I hate that so much. Still better than other estradiol prescriptions I've tried in the past, though.
I completely understand the benefits of using estradiol and I've always believed in taking HRT but as I get older, I'm wondering how best to progress and I would like to experience some time without taking any hormones.
I have on occasion not taken my estradiol for a short while and felt comfortable & lighter in my own body but I know there will be noticeable and adverse issues without estradiol!!
Tricky decisions, really? Ideally, I would have no water-retention or bloating from my hormones as it always makes me feel so uncomfortable and not quite myself.