Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Chronic Constipation - Any advice????  (Read 4603 times)

dahliagirl

Re: Chronic Constipation - Any advice????
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »

Proper chips are higher in fibre than people realise.   And it is the bulk, full tummy thing that sets off the stimulus - and exercise.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 11:35:03 AM »

........ I love chips  ;) and exercise on a fine day and yes, it does help my bowel to relax.  When we took my spaniel to the Lakes for long walks, she wouldn't poo as much or as often, I think her body was using up her food/energy supply; even though by mid-week she was waking me in the night because she was hungry. 

dahliagirl

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 11:50:06 AM »

Me too  ;D

Does your spaniel like chips  ;)

We had dachshunds years ago.  They liked to eat absolutely everything but had to stick to a proper dog diet and get plenty exercise. They have problems with their backs so it is not good for them to get in the least bit fat and they need to keep their muscles strong.

menopausalalways

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 12:38:11 PM »

Thank you all you wonderful ladies, will try ALL recommendations/suggestions - if only Dr's were this interested in ANY of the Menopause symptoms. They basically just seem to think: GET ON WITH IT!!!
Its the dull ache round the navel which gets me. I'm hoping I will just wake up one day and it will all be over......................
Menopause cant last until you're gasping your last breath can it?????
Apparently the meno affects sitting as well............bleedin horrendous innit! As one Dr said - *its the menopause...shit innit" pity she was a locum

dahliagirl

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 12:59:57 PM »

I think menopause lasts forever 😭

Have you tried massage?  It might be worth finding a proper one after lockdown ends.

I date my constipation issues from the first time I was pregnant.  It ended in miscarriage but started off everything. For a short while I had the most horrendous constipation I had ever had - used to go to the loo and get stuck half way  :o :-\

For me, I think there is a mix of psychological factors resulting in pelvic floor dysfunction, damage to pelvic floor factors (from later), sex hormone factors and probably some thyroid hormone issues that are not bad enough for the GP to do anything within guidelines.  I recognise the symptoms from my grandmother.

Regular vit D supplements (expecially Oct-March when the sun is too low to the horizon to get the right wavelengths to make our own*) can help make the most of the thryroxin you do have, and also magnesium which works with it can be low (magnesium citrate has been mentioned above).  Also make sure your diet contains Zinc, Boron and K2 (seeds, fermented foods, beans) and B12 if your are vegan.

*when your shadow is shorter than you are, you are making vit D :)

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 01:13:35 PM »

My dearly departed spaniel ate anything  ;D.  The night we collected her she pinched a sandwich from a plate on the arm of the sofa, I thought 'we'll have to watch you'. The owner had left it 2 let us in2 the house  ::).  1 afternoon in 1991, I was half way through a jam donut, got up to answer the 'phone in the hall, she was asleep.  So I thought  ;D.  By the time I had finished the call, the half had disappeared and the spaniel was back to sleep.  Apparently  :D.

Veg., raspberries from the canes, bananas at breakfast ..... nothing was taboo. 

I hate that feeling of needing to 'go' but nowt happens  >:(, worse if we are supposed to be going to an appt.!

littleminnie

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2021, 01:34:56 PM »

A friend of mine was having trouble ‘going’, tried everything.  Someone recommended Syrup of figs, took it and went properly next day.

dahliagirl

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »

Yes it does work, but it has senna in too (like the ortis cubes).

Prune juice works, but it can be a bit explosive.

I did try porridge with ground linseed and prunes every morning to little effect until I grew sick of it.

The only thing that has ever worked for me to date is movicol 2-3 times a week (you need to take it regularly for a while before that to get the system cleared and working).  It holds onto water, and keeps things moving enough to stop the drying out effects of slowing down ones transit.  On top of that, I have plenty of fruit/veg/beans.  I usually dissolve it in orange juice for a bit of extra ooomph and to give my bacteria a fighting chance against it.

Things like yoga and pilates help, as you are using abdominal muscles and breathing exercises,  but only if you have got a good level of transit going on.

It is an ongoing battle though.  As soon as I drop something, it all grinds to a halt again.  It can happen in half a day.  So if I go out on a nice warm sunny day and don't drink constantly (which you have to avoid as there are only so many public toilets available), then I need to drink plenty and have movicol.   In theory your body copes with this disruption, and mine does this very well - by taking all the extra fluid out of my bowels  >:(  Big packet of crisps are a no-no tool  :'(

menopausalalways

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 03:23:32 PM »

THANK YOU _ MENO SISTERS!!!

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2021, 03:38:04 PM »

You are VERY WELCOME  :lol:   :great:

Let us know how you go on [or not ;-) ] but don't alter everything at the same time or you won't know what works/doesn't !

Wrensong

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 03:49:15 PM »

Hi menopausalalways, if you haven't seen it already, there is a very long thread with loads of tips & empathy called Re:Poo! (started by Juju I think) & lots of lovely ladies have contributed.
Wx

Zar

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »

Hi

I’ve had this most of my life and it’s taken until now for me to suss out that I need a lot of fibre!!! I mean a lot! All-bran for breakfast and mixed vegetables with lunch AND dinner. I’ve been making thick soup for lunch absolutely crammed with root veggies, some lentils and some chic peas. Most of my plate is filled with veggies at dinner time. I’ve noticed if I skip this regime even for one day, the next day I am immediately constipated!!! We are all different and this may not work for some people but I am just so relieved and happy that I’ve found the solution in a relatively normal and healthy way! I’m not bloated anymore as my digestive system seems to be processing well right now. It’s just the rest of me I need to sort out! 😂

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 11:01:30 AM »

Tnx Zar - another thread or put your symptoms into the search box to see what pops up? make notes ;-)

I love roasted veggies which seem to help the bowel as DH puts olive oil over them.  Baked beans give me abdominal pains ........ sprouts
I love :-)))) but again, the abdominal pains and follow through wind  :o   :-X

pepperminty

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 01:34:53 PM »

One quick point- your bowels are stongly effected by stress- it can either stop you going as your pelvic floor tightens - of give you the runs.

PMX

Winterose

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 01:05:10 PM »

Try raw kimchi - M and S have some in pots - am sure other places have it but this is where I found and tried it , not for constipation but just because I’d never had it and wanted to try .

Well - it would certainly work for constipation I’m sure as been to loo 3 times each time I’ve had it and no upset tummy either. Clears you out . Worth a try  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3