Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Pist menopause hrt  (Read 974 times)

Jo girl

• First Flush
Pist menopause hrt
« on: February 14, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »

Hi everyone
It's been a while since I've posted anything but I need advise. I am post menopause now for about, I believe just over 3 years or so. Being post menopausal is not the great lease of life I was led to believe, is ut safe to try HRT again because I can't cope anymore, thw anxiety /panic, dreads,, palpitations, even though the doctor reassured me it's the adrenal glands and first thing in the morning excelerated cortisol. However, my life is one of constant dread, fear and anxiety, emotional stress and my life is no longer mine, I have forgotten who I am anymore and the old Joanna is gone for good. Can anyone please help me in any way they can, I don't have anyone to talk to, no encouragement, friendship or help. Wirh Covid and other stressful times I am at a loss as to what to do. After all the waffling, will it still be safe to try HRT at this point after nearly 3 and a half years?
Any advise or encouragement would be much appreciated. Thank you. ❤️

Dotty

Re: Pist menopause hrt
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 05:04:06 PM »

Hi no it’s not too late. I started HRT 3 years post menopause and it gave me my life back. X

Stockport1965

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 05:19:29 PM »

I am 9 years (I think post meno) and I have just started on the patches. Never had it before, but hoping it will stop my osteoporosis getting worse.

I read lots of articles that says it's not too late to have HRT. How old are you?

Jo girl

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 05:31:41 PM »

I am 58 in May. It seems like an never ending saga.  I was still having periods at 53 even though I was experiencing peri menopausal symptoms once I my periods stopped after 1 year I was led to believe I would have a new lease of life, not. Whoever came up with that was seriously mis informed, although, I dare say some women sailed through it without a glitch.

Jo girl

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »

A little frightened to try HRT, so many negative reports.   :-\

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 05:36:04 PM »

Jo Girl, sorry to hear about the problem you're having.  Your post suggests that you had HRT before.  Did you take it when you were peri?  Did you get relief from it?  Do you feel that your symptoms are worse than before? I'm one year postmeno and I also have issues with anxiety and I also get low mood as well. I cannot establish whether it's getting better or worse because I've had this since peri.  One thing though, like you, I feel I'm no longer myself and that something has died inside me.  I'm only hoping that over the next couple of years everything will settle down.  As for HRT, I understand it can be taken for as long as you want.

befuddled

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 05:39:00 PM »

Sorry can't help with the HRT questions, i'm still quite new to all this myself.  But i just wanted to say that this bit "the old Joanna is gone for good" doesn't have to be true.  There's HRT, and other things besides that you can try.  And being here asking questions is the first step to making things better.

KarineT

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »

Jo Girl, those who sail through might be affected later on. I know someone who didn't have any symptoms until she was in postmenopause.

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 05:41:00 PM »

A little frightened to try HRT, so many negative reports.   :-\
But so many positives, too. It will protect your health for the future and in all likelihood deal with your symptoms. Have a look at Dr Dr Louise Newson's website, which has a wealth of information.

JP x

befuddled

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 05:43:04 PM »

And this bit  "A little frightened to try HRT, so many negative reports".   

You'll also see a lot of comments along the lines of "I wish i'd tried it sooner" -  "wish I hadn't put it off for so long" - "if I'd only known how much difference it could make"........

Jo girl

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 07:29:40 PM »

Yes, I had tried HRT post menopause,, sorry can't remember the name. I must confess I only used it for about a month conti patches but since I was post menopause for just over 2 years I couldn't face the side effects. I felt similar aches of a due period, achy legs. After all the years of PMT prior to the onset of a period, I just couldn't face it. If I had known what terrible peri/meno and post menopause would be like I would have persevered. The one thing that angers me is, why oh why were told that only hot flushes would be all we experience. It not only took me by surprise to find out how many symptoms there are but how it would impact our lives is horrific.  :-\

KarineT

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 03:07:44 PM »

Yes. I know.  This is terrible as we are left in the dark, not knowing what's in store for us.  This is the very thing I hate most about the menopause.  It's unpredictable and anyone who says that it only causes hot flashes doesn't know what they are talking about.  Unfortunately, most GPs don't know how much it impacts on the body and mind.  I, myself, thought that hot flushes and absence of periods were the only symptoms but I wasn't informed   Then when these dizzy spells started because of it, I really thought I had a neurological disorder.  It freaked me out so much that I had all sorts of tests which came back normal.  Nobody knew what was wrong with me so in the end I made my own conclusion that all the symptoms I have are menopause-related and I don't have any health issues.

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 05:16:51 PM »

Even though you're post meno it can be useful to start on a sequi regime. Most of the problems are due to the progesterone and this way you can tell. IIWY I'd use sequi with a long cycle to start with, you can change to conti once you know you're OK. Transdermal is safer than oral so perhaps a patch or gel.