Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Post Meno Symptoms  (Read 1305 times)

cherylks

Post Meno Symptoms
« on: February 11, 2021, 11:42:49 AM »

Hi,
I am about five years post menopause and for the last couple of years I keep getting the same set of symptoms that come on for a few weeks then disappear for about 4-6 months, then re-appear again.   Symptoms are brain fog, can't concentrate, really tired, washed out, palpitations, anxiety attacks, tearful, night sweats.  I just cannot function well when this happens.  In between times, I am pretty much fine.  I have been to doctor many times and had loads of blood tests:  diabetes, thyroid, liver function etc and everything comes back normal.  Last year I was put on folic acid 5mg which seems to help a little with not being so drained, but now all the symptoms are back again.  Can hormone levels still be fluctuating five years after menopause?  I even paid £800 to have a private BUPA check up with all the frills and blood tests and again nothing particular showing up.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post Meno Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 11:48:18 AM »

Hormonal fluctuations. Ovaries still pump out oestrogen occasionally which may be enough to give you weird and [not] wonderful symptoms.

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 12:40:08 PM »

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you're still have issues despite being 5 years in postmenopause.

When you were perimenopausal and menopausal, were you having any symptoms? Apparently, some ladies can go through the menopause and have no symptoms, then they get them at a later stage.  I, myself, find that strange because in postmenopause there shouldn't be much fluctuation and the hormones should have pretty much stabilised to remain low.

cherylks

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 04:12:59 PM »

I had loads of symptoms in peri menopause.  It all settled down by the end of the year of menopause and wasn't too bad for next year or so, but now is getting progressively worse.  I didn't think hormone levels went up and down after menopause which is why I am so confused and don't know where to go with it.

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 05:36:08 PM »

Hi my symptoms got a lot worse 3 years post menopause x

KarineT

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:24:58 PM »

That's very disappointing.  I cannot understand why symptoms should kick in again after 5 years.  All I can say is that I hope you find relief.

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:27:55 PM »

Dotty, when you say your symptoms got worse after 3 years postmeno  do you mean that  you got additional ones or your existing ones got worse?

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 08:37:52 PM »

Hi KarineT.....both..... new symptoms and original ones got worse. X

Bluebell

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 09:00:11 PM »

Hi Dotty, I am 8 years post menopausal and I too get palpitations, heart flutters and an increase in hot flushes and night-sweats plus wakening up during the night every few weeks.

That has been going on since my last period aged 59.
I’m not on HRT and have had ecg’s for the heart flutters and all seems fine.

I think it’s just the way it is unfortunately.
 I’ve tried lots of different things but just accept it now.

My Doctor said she has some ladies nearing their eighties still having hot flushes.🥵

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 09:38:08 PM »

Why put up with symptoms if there is HRT which can ease them ? unless there's a medical reason not to use it or symptoms aren't too bothersome? 

Cortisol the waking hormone can be problematic too  >:(