Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vagifem leakage  (Read 1682 times)

ariadne

Vagifem leakage
« on: February 08, 2021, 08:48:46 PM »

Hi everyone. Does anyone remember me? It's ages since I've been on here. I hope everyone is OK. Don't know where I've been to be honest!
I was prescribed Vagifem years ago and it worked well. I've always had some yellowish discharge which I'd been to my GP about a couple of times but results were negative for infection. I just thought it was normal for me and began using thin pads every day.

Anyway, I had never associated this discharge  with Vagifem but about 3 months ago the discharge seemed much more and was really annoying and messy. Not sore, just annoying.
So I had a light bulb moment and decided to conduct an experiment to see if Vagifem was the culprit. I stopped it and no more messy discharge or pads required. I was thrilled.....for about 6 weeks then the soreness and night time trips to loo started up again.
Last night I decided to start a 2 week reloading and inserted one pessary before bed. Today I've had to change the pad twice as the yellowish discharge is the heaviest I've ever experienced. After just one pessary! So it's definitely Vagifem causing it. It's like I just can't keep the stuff inside me! It's so annoying and messy and makes me feel dirty.
I've not read of anyone else experiencing the same. If there is anyone, could you share your experience with me and whether you stuck with Vagifem or found an alternative that was better.

Whatsupwiththis

Re: Vagifem leakage
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:16:12 PM »

Hi.  Yes I too get leakage along with several other ladies.  It is annoying and I find a bit uncomfortable.  My GP said it is simply the residual from fillers in the Vagifem.  She said your body takes what it needs and then rids it of unnecessary ingredients.  I thought Estring would be a great option as it doesn't have all the extra stuff but was told I am way to atrophic to use.  If the fillers are what is stopping you from using treatment, there are a number of other  options.  Estring? Ovestin?  I put up with the annoyance as anything is better than the VA symptoms.

ariadne

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 10:20:27 PM »

Thank you Whatsupwiththis. At least its not just me. I just wonder if I'm actually absorbing any of it if that much is leaking out. It wasn't this bad before I started my "experiment"  I used to get called for a telephone review every so often but that hasn't happened in a good while, otherwise I might have asked my GPs advice on an alternative.
I'll see what tomorrow brings after pessary number 2.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 09:12:17 AM »

Hi ariadne - yes I remember you from about 10 years ago I think!! Yes where has the time gone? I always get a bit of a chalky residue when using vagifem and I use a daily panti-liner anyway which catches it and yes it's the fillers. If you don't like mess then you may not like the creams although with Ovestin a much smaller amoiunt is needed as it is more concentrated. There are various other preparations around now though not yet widely prescribed I don't think - you can see the newer ones listed here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »

You had a cat ?  >wave<

I think any discharge can cause the vaginal area to be sore as it may well dry over night.

Yellowish - can be a sign of infection.  MayB your vagina is 'well' in that you no longer require the 'vagifem'?  I don't need to use 'ovestin' as often, when I get niggling symptoms I start again.  I can go weeks without it.

ariadne

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 03:31:36 PM »

Yes I had a cat Tabatha who unexpectedly died of lung cancer a while ago now.

Well that's what I'd hoped CKLD, that I was cured and was quite thrilled for a few weeks after I stopped the Vagifem. No discharge, no pads needed but then soreness and more trips to the loo started up again. So no, don't think atrophy has gone away sadly.

Thank you Hurdity. I will have a look at that link.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 03:36:40 PM »

You could change to 'ovestin' ......... same idea, use for 2-3 weeks then .......... when I have the need to pee feeling I take 2 Nurofen capsules 3 times a day.

Let us know how you get on.  Family OK ? ;-)

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 08:29:42 PM »

Yes, we're all Ok thank you CLKD. I hope you are both OK too.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 08:36:47 PM »

Tnx. Hale and hearty ;-).

How's the leaking episodes?

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 09:28:56 PM »

Tnx. Hale and hearty ;-).

How's the leaking episodes?

Well it's slightly better. That first morning after restarting the Vagifem was awful. I'm sure the entire pessary had leaked out during the morning.  So I decided to insert it earlier in the evening rather than just before bedtime. My thinking being that it was taking longer than 6 or 7 hours to start dissolving and if I inserted it earlier then it would dissolve while I was in bed. It has definitely helped but I still need to use a thin pad.

Ariadne xx