Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem & Estrogel - can they be taken together? I'm a newbie  (Read 5552 times)

candicet

Vagifem & Estrogel - can they be taken together? I'm a newbie
« on: January 29, 2021, 12:43:46 PM »

Hi Everyone
I'm new to this site and to HRT.
I had done a bit of research via Dr Newson, and had a consultation with my GP who originally prescribed me Vagifem 10mcg for 2 weeks and then 2 x a week, as I'd had a really painful smear test last summer. I was also prescribed micronised progesterone to take daily.

Then I thought about the fact that Vagifem is a localised  treatment, went back to my GP and asked for Estrogel because I have systemic symptoms which I want to treat as well. She has prescribed the Estrogel but she said I shouldn't take that and the Vagifem.

I have no history of Breast Cancer in the family and no underlying conditions that would have made her say this. I think she just thinks it's standard advice.

So my question is - can I take both simultaneously? I felt like the Vagifem were making me more comfortable almost within the first couple of days - less urgency to pee - so I'd quite like to stay on it as well as the Estrogel. I also watched a video last night on Dr Newson's Youtube channel where I'm sure the panel said you can take both but I wasn't sure if they meant Vagifem, or the cream or some other type of localised brand.

Any advice or experience with this? Look forward to hearing from you and looking forward to getting to know this site.

Thankyou x

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem & Estrogel - can they be taken together? I'm a newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »

Hello candicet, welcome to the forum.

You can take Vagifem alongside systemic HRT. Many of us here do, myself included. As local oestrogen preparations are just that, local, they have no impact on systemic oestrogen levels.

Two Vagifem a week may not be enough if you are still uncomfortable. You can safely use it more often until you find the level that suits you.

It sounds as though your GP doesn't know much about HRT. I am surprised she prescribed progesterone when you were only using Vagifem. Do you know why?

JP x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 09:09:37 PM »

A female GP at my surgery said i wouldn't need Vagifem if i was using Estrogel, i avoided seeing her again!

I use Estrogel/ Vagifem and Ovestin daily and have done for 4 years.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 09:11:14 PM »

Did she prescribe the progesterone because you were using Vagifem?

candicet

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »

Hi Everyone - thankyou so much for your replies  - so glad to have found this forum.

Yes I had to do my research and correct my GP, but yes, she prescribed the Utrogestan with the Vagifem. 
I'm on 2 pumps of Oestrogel now and the Utrogesan. I have actually stopped the vagifem for now as I feel ok, but may well go back to it.
I've been on the Oestrogel for 10 days now but still havng broken sleep and feeling absolutely shattered at times. Do you think i should have a higher dose, or does it take longer? Liz Earle said she slept like a baby on her first day of HRT - that's not been my experience.
I haven't had a period for 2.5 years and was managing fine up until 6 months ago without anything - just started to feel really pants from then on. The hot flushes were not particularly bothersome, but they have lessened as has my constant need to pee.

Looking forward to hearing from you.