Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and ovestin  (Read 1108 times)

Meeka

Vagifem and ovestin
« on: February 04, 2021, 02:48:41 PM »

Hi ,

I think this must have been asked before but what is the difference between these two ?
My Gyne said to use vagifem but my GP prescribed ovestin ?
Many thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem and ovestin
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 02:52:33 PM »

Same idea but different delivery into the vagina.  I think that 'vagifem' is by capsule/pellet? whereas 'ovestin' is via an applicator: I draw up a certain amount into the applicator from the tube and insert.  It can also be applied around the outer vaginal area .  Some ladies need 'vagifem' every night as it is a small amount and a few times a week isn't enough to keep symptoms under control.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »

Different oestrogens. Vagifem contains estrodiol, Ovestin estriol. Either should do the trick. Also as CLKD says, different delivery methods.

JP x

Meeka

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 05:16:05 PM »

Thanks so much for clarifying , hopefully ovestin will do the trick as i find it easy enough to apply .

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »

As I reacted badly to Estriol 0.01, am I likely to have an even worse reaction with Ovestin if it is Estriol, too, and stronger? If so, what would an alternative be? All a bit confusing.
💚

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 08:06:29 PM »

As I reacted badly to Estriol 0.01, am I likely to have an even worse reaction with Ovestin if it is Estriol, too, and stronger? If so, what would an alternative be? All a bit confusing.
💚
A bad reaction would be down to the base cream rather than the hormone itself I imagine, as the hormone estriol is one we (used to) produce naturally. The estriol in these creams would be body-identical. It can be worth blending the cream with a vaginal moisturiser that you know you are OK with, while you get used to it.

JP x

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 08:09:54 PM »

Ah, clarity! Thanks!!!!
xx

Lyncola

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 08:19:30 AM »

And some ladies like myself after two years, find using both Vagifem and Ovestin on different nights is the way too go.

Meeka

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 10:10:31 AM »

That’s interesting lyncola , it’s whatever works isn’t it as we are all different .

Thanks for the replies , I’ll carry on with ovestin as so far so good .