Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Blood tests once on HRT  (Read 1135 times)

Cally

Blood tests once on HRT
« on: February 03, 2021, 08:47:57 PM »

Hi there
I am booked in for a thyroid test and thought I would get my day 12 estrogen level tested at the same time as I have been on HRT for a while but still having symptoms.  However, I spoke to a male GP today who said that he wouldn’t allow a test as they are unreliable. However, I feel that as I am supplementing consistently wouldn’t it be sensible to see if I am on too much or not enough. To ensure I am absorbing? As some don’t. The GP did suggest antidepressants though for the depression type PMDD symptoms. I declined as I don’t suffer all month, only during what I feel are the dips.  GP said that he would not increase the dose of Estrogel in any case ( I wasn’t asking for an increase though)

Does anyone have testing done? What do base our increases/ decreases on? Symptoms? Thank you :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:58:02 PM by Cally »

Hurdity

Re: Blood tests once on HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 09:00:07 AM »

Hi Cally

Sorry to hear about your depression type symptoms. Many doctors don't carry out blood tests at all and they are completely unreliable both when peri-menopausal and especially when on HRT.

If you re still having flushes and sweats while taking HRT then the course of action is to increase slightly, give it a few weeks and see if the symptoms resolve. At what point in the HRT cycle are you getting symptoms and what are they? Do you feel you are still having your own cycle? If it is depression then one solution is a very high oestrogen dose to suppress the cycle completely, or a high dose to treat the depression. John Studd recommended this - have you come across his work re hormones and depressions. Check out https://www.studd.co.uk/ if not.

What HRT type/dose are you taking and where are you in menopause journey/age?

Hurdity x

Hurdity

Re: Blood tests once on HRT
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:16:23 AM »

If the oestrogen dose is high enough to suppress the cycle then I don't think a higher dose of progesterone is needed, as I understand, but obviously this needs to be monitored.

Also I was talking about UK Avalon - I think you're in Aus which may be different re hormone testing?

All the best

Hurdity x