Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy anxiety  (Read 1008 times)

pricey

Hysteroscopy anxiety
« on: February 02, 2021, 03:31:54 PM »

Hello ladies,

My long awaited hysteroscopy is scheduled for next week although my GP has forewarned me there have been cancellations.

I talked through with her my concerns that this referral has seemed very clinical with no named gynaecologist and just referral for the procedure. She said this was how it is currently due to Covid-19 and that they were trying to limit consultations by making them more of a one stop shop.  I expressed my concerns about the procedure itself as I've read many bad experiences.  She seemed very surprised at this as she said reports she has had suggest " ladies tolerate it well". I usually have an excellent pain threshold but am extremely anxious about the procedure as my anxiety is high at the moment and my mood very low. I've also had a couple of episodes of fainting and racing heart in the last year which were attributed to anaemia.  I haven't been offered a follow up blood test since I was found to be very anaemic 3 months ago. My womb is also retroverted and smears can be very awkward and uncomfortable. All in all, I'm starting to feel very panicked and not sleeping. My period has been consistently arriving exactly around the date the procedure is planned. The guidance I was sent states it can't usually go ahead if you are bleeding heavily. I find this odd since unexplained bleeding is often the reason for the referral.

I'm not sure what options i have available. My referral was because of a suspected polyp but my GP wasn't concerned. My symptoms have been getting better rather than worse overall. I've just got over Covid too and I'm really apprehensive this is going to be an ordeal.

Can anyone offer any advice? My doctor is lovely but I feel a bit fobbed off.

X

Cazikins

Re: Hysteroscopy anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 03:59:38 PM »

Hi Pricey,
I had a hysteroscopy done at the local hospital last week & the whole experience was much better than I anticipated. Yes there was some stinging & pain but it was not unbearable & when it did get uncomfortable the lovely gynae stopped & asked how I was doing & is it ok with me to carry on etc - all at my pace.
A couple of times it was hurting quite bad as she was "shaving the top off of a polyp" so I started singing - yes singing - Country Roads Take Me Home by John Denver. It made me focus on something else other than what was going on down below, together with holding the nurses hand it worked.
I didn't anticipate the singing as I'm not a singer except in the shower or the car etc but it really did help me. The nurses were all smiling & humming along to the chorus & it lightened the atmosphere. Maybe hum a tune if you don't fancy a sing song or go through the phonetic alphabet as I do when I'm at the dentist having a filling.
My womb is also retroverted and smears are painful & I have never had a pregnancy either but I got through it ok - & boy did I feel proud of myself afterwards.
Try not to look at the whole procedure & worry about what ifs etc. Break it down in to small pieces like "well I'm here" & give yourself a pat on the back, then say to yourself "I'm going to get through this because the MM girls are with me holding my hand". These gynaes know what they're doing so trust them.
Have a list of things you need to ask before the procedure & also afterwards helps to feel in control too.
Put your trust in your G.P. & the Gynae they are well experienced in these things.
Good luck & make sure you keep us posted.
Love Cazikins xx

Deeble

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:43 PM »

Hi Pricey
Good advice from Cazikins.
I had hysteroscopy 15 Jan - results all good received on 26 Jan.
The procedure was fairly quick - maybe 15 mins. Overall in and out of the hospital in under an hour. Very kind and careful staff.
I found it uncomfortable but had taken 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen an hour or so before appt time and it was not too bad. I was offered gas and air if wanted. At the point where I felt I needed it the procedure was nearly done so I just kept squeezing the nurse's hand and concentrated on my breathing - in for 3 and out for 5 for example (I can't manage the 5:7 breathing when anxious!). I was not in pain after and it was a big relief to get it behind me and an even bigger relief to get results as benign.
Keep calm if you can, breathe and maybe even sing ...!  Nurses will keep you going with cheery chat hopefully and you can give yourself a big pat on the back when it's done.
All the very best. D x

pricey

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 07:33:36 AM »

Cazikins and Deeble, thank you so much for your wonderfully supportive and positive replies. I will take on board all your advice. It's reassuring to read some stories that aren't in the horror genre! I agree with Avalon, what a supportive community this is.

I suppose it's out of my hands if the procedure is cancelled or has to be postponed if I'm bleeding heavily. Recovering from Covid and being anaemic isn't helping because I'm so fatigued. If I'd been able to have the procedure before Christmas I'd have been in a better place.  I've only just started to move around the house without feeling exhausted, so the thought of facing a procedure that could be painful or make me feel faint and dizzy is not pleasant.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and offer support. It's so very appreciated. :-* :-*

X

Grheliz1

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 09:43:28 AM »

I had my third hysteroscopy and biopsy yesterday. I dosed up on cocodomal and can honestly say that the only really bad discomfort I felt was as the probe went through the cervix. That bit took just seconds, honestly. As soon as she was into the uterus I could just feel pressure: not comfortable but not bad.

I always fill in a form beforehand saying what I expect and then afterwards saying what it was actually like. I think they take women's experiences very very seriously. I had a lovely nurse standing next to me and talking to me all the time. I concentrated on breathing out very slowly and on pretending I was on a beach listening to waves.

It is in their interest to make it as comfortable and relaxed for you as possible because that's easier for them to get in and out quickly and efficiently. :)