Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Urgent-anyone got a quick answer, gp consult soon  (Read 1044 times)

Postmeno3

Urgent-anyone got a quick answer, gp consult soon
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:21:59 AM »

Can anyone tell me what systemic oestrogen does for the vagina and vulva that topical doesn't?
THANKS!!!!! 🙏

Dierdre

Re: Urgent-anyone got a quick answer, gp consult soon
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »

Hi, i was only on systemic for 6 months, patches and oral, to be honest it didn't make a lot of difference. I was already on Vagifem every day and thought the systemic would improve the VA but i had a lot of bleeding which eventially made me give up on it.  The biggest improvement ive had is using Ovestin  externally now, as well as Vagifem internally. The 2 different estrogens together have worked well and I very rarely have a problem now.

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 10:46:23 AM »

Thanks for this. I think an issue for me with the Vagifem would be it dissolving sufficiently to work. My M.E. causes malabsorption generally, so that was what made me think patches would be worth pushing for and, yes, Ovestin as I haven't tolerated the Estriol 0.01. Would these combined provide the two oestrogens you mention as beneficial together? I don't understand the differences, sorry! I'm very post-menopausal and therefore may be at a different stage to you.
💚
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:49:19 AM by Postmeno3 »

CherrySG

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:53:33 AM »

I just  found that topical HRT, both Vagifem and Ovestin, weren't enough to fix the VA until I added systemic oestrogen.

I'm always tired on systemic HRT, although it improves sleep and anxiety, so I would LOVE to just use the topical HRT. This is not possible as apparently I'm such a dried up old prune that the Vagifem pessary simply falls out of me without Oestrogel. Also the painful urination and constant urethral discomfort only goes away with systemic HRT.

I've tried to wean off it a bunch of times because of the tiredness and bloating, but I need 3 pumps of gel to get rid of the painful dryness. :'(

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:59:09 AM »

It's miserable isn't it?! 🤗 Bit of a worry if I can anticipate tiredness. I get more than my fair share of that already, but, yes, the anxiety and bladder issues are more important. Everyone is so different aren't they?!
💚

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »

I'm 11 years post menopausal and the only problem i have is the VA ( had it 6 years now) so didnt really need full HRT for anything else, i tried it about 3 years ago when i was 61 and just had the conti low dosage.
I remember those days CherrySG, when the vagifem fell out because i was so dry and I also had a prolapse too, thankfully thats all ok now.

CherrySG

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 01:08:58 PM »

Dierdre, so you were able to stop the systemic HRT and not suffer the dryness as long as you use Ovestin and Vagifem? Maybe there is some hope for me down the line then?  :) I'm 56.

Postmeno3, you may not be tired at all if you use systemic hrt, most everyone else on here find that Oestrogen gives them more energy. I seem to be an outlier. Here's hoping you have luck at the GP and the right solution is found!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:10:48 PM by CherrySG »

Postmeno3

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 01:43:40 PM »

Watch this space, guys, am awaiting a decision right in this very moment.....🤞

Postmeno3

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 08:01:30 AM »

And still waiting. Yesterday's call never came.....
🙏

CherrySG

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 08:24:13 AM »

Oh wow, sorry that's happened!

Hopefully you can get an explanation today

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 01:33:14 PM »

I'd give them a ring and ask why they hadn't contacted you.

Postmeno3

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 01:45:32 PM »

Sooooooooo frustrating!  ::)