Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too late for HRT for Osteoporosis  (Read 4413 times)

silverstar

Re: Too late for HRT for Osteoporosis
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 03:07:38 PM »

I have just been put on hrt for bladder and vaginal issues at age 61, had full hysterectomy at 51 so quite frankly this is rubbish! Would insist on it if I were you.

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:45 PM »

I think the issue is HRT being prescribed for bone health alone. Throw in a few meno symptoms and it's probably prescribed without query.

Taz x

MummyClanger

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 04:07:07 PM »

Gillybilly if your gp won't help you can ask for a referral to a menopause clinic. I would suggest you start having hot flushes and a few other symptoms.
I completely agree, the idea that you are too old at 51 to start HRT is ridiculous! I started at 50 after years of peri menopause symptoms. See another doctor. The only reason a doctor should refuse you HRT is if it will be harmful to your health history if blood clots etc or strong  family history if other conditions that contraindicated. NICE NHS guidelines state you are entitled to be referred to a menopause clinic. 

gillybilly

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 08:44:29 PM »

Hi
I'm in the same postion
I was aboutb 43 when I had my menopause, I'm nearly 51 now
I had a dexa scan 3 years ago which showed osteopenia  in the spine, went to see Dr, who told me that although 43 was early hrt was for pre 40s according to nice guidelines so wouldn't prescribe  it.
Had another dexa scan last month, and gone from -1.6 to -2
I think i need another chat

Bloody drs are supposed  to help

is that hip or spine?
did you have the 2nd dexa on the same machne?

Its the spine.
My hips are -0.3   and my spine -2
 2 dexas done on the same hospital machine.

I cant understand  why it's such a huge difference between the two  numbers

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 09:47:31 PM »

More density in the pelvis.  This is where most scans are taken ..........  apart from the femur it's the bone which takes the body weight.  So gets more impact.

TnToast

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »

Hello
I'm another one diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am 52 and my T scores are - 1.8 hips and -2.5 spine. I also have VA. I've been trying to manage the VA and have had some success with Ovestin, although at a higher frequency than my GP is happy with. She also wants me to start Alendronic acid but like the original poster I am very wary of it. Some of the side effects sound potentially scary and even the stomach issues put me off. So after watching a video about HRT on Dr Louise Newson's website I'm thinking of asking for HRT instead for now and maybe later on, if I am told to stop the HRT, I will take the Alendronic acid.
Does anyone know if this is a good idea this a good idea?

I was really worried about HRT and breast cancer having had atypical cells removed but Dr Newson's video really reassured me.

I'd be really interested to know what you decided to do Stockport.

Does anyone out there know which is the best HRT to try for VA/Osteoporosis? I was thinking of asking for Oestrogel and Utrogestan.

Also I have beeen prescribed Calcium and Vit D supplements but have read that they can cause heart problems and kidney stones. I eat a fair amount of foods containing calcium and have taken a vit D supplement for a long time, so is it necessary to take these?

Stockport1965

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 08:12:34 PM »

TnToast - welcome to the osteoporosis club!
GP's want to prescribe AA as a 1st port of call. Have you been given your frax score? I had to ask for mine but you can do this online yourself.
I decided to go down the HRT - everol conti patch. I am going to have another scan in 3years. I had to fight for it, GP's aren't always up to speed on OP & HRT.
I was prescribed 2x calcichew D3 forte - presume it's what you have been given?? I don't take them now as I make sure I get enough calcium. Loving new things like chia seeds/beans & nuts etc. I take a vitamin D tab, Vitamin K2-mk7, boron & magnesium.
Have you done your research on weight bearing exercise? Stomping? Heel drops?
It's all a bit scary isn't it at the start....

Joaniepat

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 08:52:56 PM »

TnToast, I don't think there is a best HRT for osteoporosis, but it might be a good idea to get bloods done to measure your beta estradiol level once you get settled on a regime, to make sure you are absorbing enough oestrogen. I understand you need to reach at least 350 pmol/l for bone improvement. With Oestrogel it is easy to adjust the dose. Good luck.

JP x

Stockport1965

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 09:10:55 PM »

TnToast, I don't think there is a best HRT for osteoporosis, but it might be a good idea to get bloods done to measure your beta estradiol level once you get settled on a regime, to make sure you are absorbing enough oestrogen. I understand you need to reach at least 350 pmol/l for bone improvement. With Oestrogel it is easy to adjust the dose. Good luck.

JP x
That's really good info, I'd never considered that.

TnToast

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2021, 08:06:03 PM »

Hi Stockport

I hadn't been given a FRAX score so I did it myself. From that it would seem that my risk of a major fracture is very low (2.5%) which makes me wonder why I have been offered treatment already. I rang the ROS and the nurse did say that I could wait the two years until my next DEXA if I was worried about the bisphosphonate, as the longer you have to take it the more risk of side effects.

However as I don't want things to get worse I have decided to ask for HRT in the mean time in the hope it slows the bone loss and maybe takes me back to osteopenia (is that possible?). I have been prescribed Calcichew D3 Forte like you but haven't taken it. I'm trying to increase my dietary calcium but I read/heard (cant remember which as I've done so much research lately!) that unless you have enough oestrogen the supplements don't help. I didn't know about the Vit K etc though. I already eat beans and nuts etc.

Also I'm doing 'Pilates for Osteoporosis' exercises from Instructor Live and I walk for 30m a day (thinking about jogging).

It is very scary and I hate having to think so much about how to bend and lift. I've always thrown myself around without a second thought up to now.. ;D

When I checked with the breast consultant about HRT he said Osteoporosis could be much worse and to take the HRT and just remember to check regularly.

Thanks for the tip about getting bloods done Joaniepat - I wonder if the NHS GP will be prepared to do this?

Stockport1965

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2021, 09:49:17 PM »

Hi Stockport

I hadn't been given a FRAX score so I did it myself. From that it would seem that my risk of a major fracture is very low (2.5%) which makes me wonder why I have been offered treatment already. I rang the ROS and the nurse did say that I could wait the two years until my next DEXA if I was worried about the bisphosphonate, as the longer you have to take it the more risk of side effects.

However as I don't want things to get worse I have decided to ask for HRT in the mean time in the hope it slows the bone loss and maybe takes me back to osteopenia (is that possible?). I have been prescribed Calcichew D3 Forte like you but haven't taken it. I'm trying to increase my dietary calcium but I read/heard (cant remember which as I've done so much research lately!) that unless you have enough oestrogen the supplements don't help. I didn't know about the Vit K etc though. I already eat beans and nuts etc.

Also I'm doing 'Pilates for Osteoporosis' exercises from Instructor Live and I walk for 30m a day (thinking about jogging).

It is very scary and I hate having to think so much about how to bend and lift. I've always thrown myself around without a second thought up to now.. ;D

When I checked with the breast consultant about HRT he said Osteoporosis could be much worse and to take the HRT and just remember to check regularly.

Thanks for the tip about getting bloods done Joaniepat - I wonder if the NHS GP will be prepared to do this?
Your hips don't look too bad, just osteopenic?
GP's love to prescribe AA without considering other options.
Weight bearing exercises are a must, get some hand weights, mine are 2kg - these exercises should be done 2-3 times a week. You need to remember to shock your bones, hence doing heel drops daily throughout the day. On my morning 30min walk , I jog for 4x 45 secs. I've never run before so don't want to put pressure on my lower spine. The forum called "inspire" has been my lifeline

TnToast

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2021, 10:05:07 PM »

Thanks for the info Stockport - just seen your pm - I will definitely look at that.

Yes, hips osteopenic and only just in osteoporosis for spine so that's why I'm going to try HRT alongside the diet and exercise etc to try and avoid anything getting worse. I'm way past meno now at 52 (about 44/45 I think, but as I had a resection of the endometrium I can't be sure exactly) but it seems ok if you are under 60 doesn't it?

I don't know why GP suggests AA first as BMS says it should be used with caution in women under 60.

Good tip about jogging bursts in walk - I'll give that a go, plus weights. :)
Are you getting on ok with the patch? Not sure whether to ask for gel or that.

Limpy

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »

Thanks for the info Stockport - just seen your pm - I will definitely look at that.

Yes, hips osteopenic and only just in osteoporosis for spine so that's why I'm going to try HRT alongside the diet and exercise etc to try and avoid anything getting worse. I'm way past meno now at 52 (about 44/45 I think, but as I had a resection of the endometrium I can't be sure exactly) but it seems ok if you are under 60 doesn't it?

I don't know why GP suggests AA first as BMS says it should be used with caution in women under 60.

Good tip about jogging bursts in walk - I'll give that a go, plus weights. :)

The local bone unit instructs GPs around here to use AA. The word on the street is that it's the cheapest option so should be tried first.

Stockport1965

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 01:14:46 PM »

I have had some breakthrough bleeding but apart from that I don't even know I am using HRT.
Pages: 1 [2]