Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy during perimenopause  (Read 3157 times)

Lalb1

Vaginal atrophy during perimenopause
« on: January 28, 2021, 10:18:06 AM »

Hi again, so I'm sure what I've been experiencing is vaginal atrophy. I've got a doctors call back this afternoon and I want to make sure she understands what I'm saying I have.
I keep reading that this condition is for people who have gone through menopause? Is this true because I haven't. I'm still getting periods, different to usual and majorly differing lengths between.
Also Im pretty sure there's no water infection as the wee doesn't smell, burn and isn't cloudy.
Just wanting a heads up I guess as I know some of the doctors can just fob people off.
Thanks 😊

Taz2

Re: Vaginal atrophy during perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »

My VA developed during peri - it's very common to begin experiencing changes during this time. Also, as we get older, urinary infections often don't give any burning sensation at all. What symptoms are you having at the moment?

Taz x

MummyClanger

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 10:27:24 AM »

My VA started during peri menopause. In fact I think I had it for many years before anything was diagnosed. My symptoms were terrible itching and tiny paper cuts in skin, which was eventually diagnosed as vulval dermatitis, firstly I was prescribed a topical steroid and emollient cream but it didn’t really improve until I was prescribed Vagifem oestrogen pessaries. Ask for a referral if your GP isn’t helpful.

Lalb1

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 10:33:13 AM »

Thanks for your speedy replies Taz2 and Mummy Clanger.
My symptoms have got worse this last week, looking back I've always had sore bits before a period arrives and during. I've always needed to wee more in the days before a period would show up.
However this week, it's been a lot worse.
I've had
Aches in pelvic area like a period is due but nothing as yet (12 days later than last time).
Tingling fuzzy feeling in vaginal area that makes my bum and legs tingle too.
Itchy and dryness down there.
Stinging bits when I sit for long periods of time.
Pressure in bladder and feel the need to wee more.
Clear discharge for about 3 days.
No burning or any type of infection symptoms.
Feels sort of ok in a morning but by night it's worse.

I had a couple of bubble baths last week and I'm wondering if that's aggravated something?

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 11:12:30 AM »

Certainly the bubble baths will have aggravated the vulva. Plain water only on the vulva, or wash there with an emollient such as Epaderm or Hydromol.

JP x

Lalb1

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »

Thankyou, just as I suspected 🙄😩

Have reverted back to showers again, just ached so thought a bath would help the other aches and pains I have nowadays.
Hate how yucky this is making me feel.

Lalb1

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 01:01:22 PM »

So I've had a call from the docs, they think it's pretty much VA but I've got an appointment at 3.30 to go and be checked. Will see what hey say I reckon. 😬

MummyClanger

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 04:36:46 PM »

Good luck x I never use bubble baths or soap etc now. My doctor prescribed first dermal 500 then cetamacgrogol soap substitute and I use an emollient cream hydromol to protect skin every time I have a pee.

Lalb1

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 05:39:21 PM »

So I've been to the docs and had the works! Temperature, urine test and vaginal exam 🙁
Water sample was OK but they are sending it off to be double checked, temperature was high but that we put down to it being very warm in the room and I'd worked myself up.. Also why on earth did I wear a jumper? 😂 I hardly ever wear jumpers if I'm going somewhere where I've got to chat and wait etc as I know it brings in the hot flushes. I also told her my temperature has been consistently between 35.7 and 36.3 this while week.
She did an internal which was very uncomfortable, along with the fact my uterus is tilted and my cervix is off centre I was told today!! Knew about the uterus but not the cervix 🙈
Anyways, she's adamant I don't have VA as it all looks healthy and no signs of thinning. So I asked well what's causing the discomfort, discharge, need to wee etc and she couldn't give me an answer! We spoke about the way my cycle is and the amount etc we spoke about my bladder possibly being overactive, about not drinking enough, a long list of things.
She has prescribed me the Yes lubricant to see how I get in with that for the next 4 weeks. She thinks it's to do with the late period playing havoc. I've also got to go and have fasting bloods done just to double check levels are ok.
Sort of confused now as to what it all actually is, the discomfort and all symptoms led me to believe so much that it is VA.
Has anyone else had it and been told they didn't?

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »

They should go by symptoms with VA, not by what it looks like. It's advanced if there's anything to see. I was told I looked "reasonably well oestrogenised" when I first presented with it, which was nonsense and could not have been true (long story). I would want 2nd opinion.

JP x

Tootsey11

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 06:10:19 PM »

I got told mine 'looked fine' as well. And it did. But I had an urgency to pee and the skin felt irritated. I was prescribed vagifem and ovestin. I am thru meno at 45. I feel you are being fobbed off.

Lalb1

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »

Thankyou Joaniepat and Tootsey11.
I'm so glad I can ask on here because I do feel fobbed off. All the symptoms point to that and for her to say it all looks well and lubricated 🤷‍♀️
I just don't get it. How do i go about finding out? I can't afford a private clinic consultation.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 06:31:39 PM »

I had VA but no problems with lubrication. My GP prescribed Vagifem just on my description of symptoms.

Taz x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 07:04:46 PM »

I had signs of VA at age of 48, possibly earlier, i was still having periods until i was 52 I struggled to get treatment for VA as GP kept saying my symptoms were thrush and you didn't get VA until two years post meno. That was a female GP who was older than me.I struggled for a year, did my research and asked a a male GP if i could try Ovestin, he agreed and i have been on topical estrogen since, so ou can definitely get VA in peri stage.

Joaniepat

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 07:34:23 PM »

There is a private support group on Facebook for Vaginal Atrophy. Unfortunately I can't paste the link. You have to answer 3 questions to join. If you Google for it it should come up. They have all the answers there on how to convince your GP, and loads of other info and support. Well worth joining.

JP x
Pages: [1] 2