Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Extremely tender breasts  (Read 1377 times)

pricey

Extremely tender breasts
« on: January 25, 2021, 08:11:26 AM »

Does anyone not on HRT have experience of this? I'm 56, stopped HRT after 4 years in August, had prolonged heavy bleeding, spotting etc, since. Scan found possible polyp and I'm due to have a hysteroscopy next month. In the meantime my breasts have become incredibly tender to the point it's ouchy if something even brushes against them. I've just started Evening Primrose Oil  to see if that will help. Can anyone shed any light as to which hormone upsurge or lack thereof might be causing this? I also felt like I ovulated a couple of days ago but the breast tenderness started 2-3 weeks ago before my last bleed.

Thanks in advance.

X

jaypo

Re: Extremely tender breasts
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 02:26:51 PM »

Hi there,this is very common, I had this a couple of years ago,I'm not large chested but it felt like they were huge,especially when I took my bra off,oh my the agony,it's most likely a surge of oestrogen,like before a period I'd always have sore boobs,so don't worry

AgathaC

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »

Hi Pricey, I suffer with breast discomfort more days than I don’t.  I am now 49 and this has been going on since I was 44.  I would consider it, along with anxiety, to be my main perimenopause symptom.  I have kept a diary and, yes, there are times in the month when it is worse than others but no hard and fast fixed pattern.  Sometimes it is more on the left than the right, and vice versa.  It often radiates out to my armpits.  The cause? Hormones for sure.  Fluctuations in oestrogen and progesterone.  Originally, I thought it was just too much oestrogen but I have also read it’s down to progesterone as well.  The solution? I wear a firm bra 24/7 (I only remove it to shower in the morning and bathe at night).  I take Starflower Oil daily. 1500mg.  This contains more GLA than Evening Primrose Oil, I believe.  If you are in the US, Starflower is Borage, by the way.
On a medical level, the breast discomfort is so bad that it makes me check my breasts all the time, and I am often convinced that there must be something terrible wrong.  I have an examination and a mammogram or ultrasound yearly anyway (I alternate) and have done since my mid 30’s (breast cancer in my family) and it was my consultant who suggested the Starflower Oil and bra wearing.  He told me it could take a good month or so to feel the benefit of the Starflower Oil.  I’ve taken it for years now, so I’m uncertain as to how much it helps me.  I’m sure a psychologist might say that my family history and health anxiety worsen the breast discomfort but it is definitely real for me and sometimes upsetting.  It occasionally reminds of how my boobs felt after I had just had my children.
In terms of breast size, I am a 36 E/F, with noticeable big boobs, that are also dense.  My research tells me that breast pain sufferers often have dense tissue and are sometimes but definitely not always big boobed.
I hope that information might be helpful and even reassuring.  I am not on HRT, nor have I ever taken it.
As an aside, I have also followed your polyp story (I sent a PM).  I had a cervical polyp removed at the end of November following mid cycle spotting every other month since March.  This was painless and removed easily and turned out to be benign.  They are, apparently, caused by excess oestrogen and are common in ladies in their 40’s and 50’s who have had more than one child.
My consultant said that this was most likely the cause of my mid cycle spotting, although I very much felt it was hormonal (occurring exactly mid cycle for 48 hours, with other ovulation symptoms).  Interestingly, no mid cycle spotting the next month (December) and then the mother of all periods in January - this was my first long period (16 days) which has left me feeling rather rough!  I feel like my symptoms are starting to ramp up a bit now.  It has certainly helped me mentally having just had a gynae check 6 weeks earlier, otherwise I would have thought I was dying.
I hope that answers some breast tenderness and cervical polyp questions for you, Pricey, from my own experiences.  Wishing you well on your menopause journey x

pricey

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 07:43:43 AM »

Jaypo and Agatha, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Yes, this definitely feels like a surge in hormones. I can't help but feel my body has been settling out of HRT just as it settled in, although my doctor felt it should have stabilised after 6 weeks. Funny we are to allow up to 6 months for new regimes.  :o

The polyp makes sense, but I also feel there are hormonal fluctuations going on. Apart from when I was on Elleste Duet (which gave me persistent headaches) no HRT has managed to suppress my cycle for more than a couple of months. I regularly had the withdrawal bleed plus my own. This seems to be continuing in a low key way: I'm having my obvious period then another 2-3 days of spotting two weeks before my period, also cyclically. I do have occasional blips but often I wouldn't even see these traces if I wasn't actively looking. Some days I feel sensible about it all, others I go into blind panic, but I think that might be hormone-influenced too!

X

pricey

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 07:46:50 AM »

Ps. I am heavily endowed too! The same size as you, Agatha. And yes, this feels like early pregnancy/post partum tenderness.  I am taking EPO now but will also look at Starflower.

Thank you for your sweet message
 X