Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: .  (Read 1171 times)

Belle1

« on: January 23, 2021, 09:23:35 AM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:35:51 AM by Belle1 »

PMDD

Re: Vaginal Utrogestan side effects
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:03:40 AM »

Yes i too get quite vivid dreams with utrogestan vaginally, and also the first time I used it this way it created a big bleed. My consultant said it was a good sign that it was working better because it was breaking down any build up.

It took a good few months for everything to settle fully xx

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:00:55 PM »

Hi Belle1

I always get vivid dreams when taking utrogestan and have only ever taken it vaginally.

In fact the side effects were discussed on another thread recently - can't remember which though!

Research I have read showed that actually higher systemic levels of progesterone were obtained from using vaginally than the same dose taken orally. This would mean that directly progestogenic side effects might be greater from vaginal use - eg the sedative effects from Utrogestan. You are finding the opposite. However the metabolic by products from oral intake are far greater and higher concentrations and it is these by-products which are responsible for some of the other side effects which most women experience negatively but maybe in your case - unusually - you liked them?

Rest assured though that you will get better protection of your uterus lining from vaginal use because more of the prog gets directly to your womb lining without having to go through digestion and metabolism through the liver. It is likely that you are bleeding now because the womb lining may have built up when taken orally and the spotting might have been an indication of this?

Also if you are not post-menopausal you will of course bleed following ovulation, and your womb lining would have built up in the normal way - albeit not quite so much if you were taking continuous progesterone.

If you are post-menopausal then any bleeding on continuous combined HRT should settle after 6 months, sometimes longer, after which time a doc should be consulted if it hasn't, or before 6 months have elapsed if you are worried about heavy or abnormal bleeding/pain.

Hurdity x

PMDD

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 09:25:30 PM »

Yes, my first bleed after starting vaginal utro was absolutely horrific and very painful, enough that it caused anaemia  :o I was using super inco pads instead of sanitary towels as they just wouldn't cut it.

Honestly i was on my hands and knees rocking with the pain, but then again, I did have hyperplasia hence needing to start the progesterone......however, month on month this has improved now, but I do still get occasional 'sludgy' spotting. When I do bleed, it is much lighter, and over in 48hrs type of thing.

With regard to trying to use the utro when bleeding, I don't bother, as my consultant said it was pointless.....I just let the bleed ride out and start again when it slows right down.