Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2291 times)

JEYRE

« on: January 23, 2021, 06:42:28 AM »

Hello,

I’m a new member and like others on here, found this website by chance whilst frantically googling awful symptoms of VA. Posted for the first time last night and received a very warm welcome and lots of great advice.  54 and 3 years post menopause.  Using Vagifem and Ovestin cream - which took a while for GP to diagnose symptoms correctly (not easy with lockdown and access to phone appts only).  Still in my first 2 weeks of using Ovestin and feeling so much better.  That awful uncomfortable feeling of constantly needing to pee calming down - put it this way, not on the top of my mind any more which it was for past 4 months. I felt terrible. Couldn’t contemplate travelling too far from a toilet and sore to sit in the car.  Feel so much better now.  🤞🏻

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 10:05:09 AM »

I may have said elsewhere (menobrain) but do use pain relief for a while.  I swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day for 3 days to ease that need to pee feeling.  Bladder and spincter get irritated until the VA treatment begins to work. 

If necessary, use 'vagifem' nightly and occasionally, ladies need two doses at one time. 

JEYRE

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 11:00:28 AM »

Yes I tried that last night. Took 2 ibuprofen and really helped me sleep better.  I don’t actually remember getting up in the night. Two weeks ago I was getting up THREE times a night to weee. It was awful. I’m also on page 45 of Me and My Menopausal Vaginal.  Love it - particularly the illustrations.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »

It's a great book - mayB share ;-)

Take more Nurofen during today.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »

Hi JEYRE
Glad the treatment has kicked in so quickly, it usually takes a lot longer to notice any improvement. Doctors seem to be prescribing both vagifem and ovestin together now and that was the turning point for me after struggling with just vagifem only for a couple of years. The combination, one inside and cream outside should be an option for all.

JEYRE

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 01:44:15 PM »

Hi Dierdre,

Initially my GP surgery kept prescribing antibiotics whilst waiting for urine samples to be tested.  Each time urine was clear. It’s been so hard to get appointments with lockdown. One of the doctors suggested I try Vagifem early December, and whilst this has helped greatly, I still had horrible urge to weee all the time. Managed to get through Christmas and then finally spoke to a superb female doctor who suggested straight away - Ovestin.  I was convinced I had something wrong with my bladder.  She said believe me, I’ve been a doctor for 30 years and seen this problem so many times before.  That feeling of needing to weee is still there but is so much improved. I’ve nearly finished the first two weeks intensive treatment and will then reduce and see how it goes.  The tube of cream is so tiny.   ::)

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 02:13:29 PM »

Try placing the vagifem actually against the bladder wall rather than higher up and apply the cream just inside  all around the urethra for a few days, this sorted my bladder sensitivity.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 02:24:27 PM »

Keep up with the treatment until symptoms ease.  Although it is recommended to use every 3/4th and 5/6th nights, often more often is required.

So many GPs prescribe ABs B4 a sample is sent to a Lab.  :beat: which is why World wide bugs are becoming AB resistant!

JEYRE

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 04:01:53 PM »

Thank you all for such great advice. You have all been so helpful.   ;D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 04:42:37 PM »

You R welcome!

Let us know how you get on?

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 07:34:29 PM »

Ive never managed on two vagifem a week and use 5 per week plus ovestin every night. Maybe reduced to every other night first when your bladder has settled and see how you manage.

JEYRE

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 06:40:47 AM »

Thanks for posting up the article Avalon (really interesting) and thank you all for the suggestion of not inserting the Vagifem so deeply (which I have been doing). My doctor didn’t give such specific information.   Next dose of Vagifem tonight, so will give it a go.   

JEYRE

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 06:57:55 AM »

Morning ladies.  Well I completed the first two weeks of using Ovestin daily (having felt so much better) and after reducing to two applications a week, the feeling of needing to pee all the time returned. To be honest, I’ve been feeling totally miserable.  Decided to slap on the Ovestin for the last two consecutive nights and feel better again. I’ve been searching through this forum to try to find out if anyone else uses Ovestin more often than the twice a week recommendation.  Is it safe?  Dierdre, I took your advice and have been inserting the Vagifem less deeply - which has been good.  However, I really feel that the Ovestin is working more for me, so finding it difficult to get through a whole week with  using it just twice. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 07:56:42 AM »

Yes, it is perfectly safe to use Ovestin more often. Use as often as you need to feel comfortable.

JP x

Dierdre

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 01:37:39 PM »

I use every night prescibed by my gynae and my gp said its totally safe to do this too.
Pages: [1] 2