Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vagifem and vaginal dryness agony  (Read 4512 times)

Ezzie2020

Vagifem and vaginal dryness agony
« on: January 22, 2021, 04:58:12 PM »

Hi
I saw a gynaecologist for a skin issue a couple of years ago and whilst she examined me she said I had VA even though I wasn’t experiencing any symptoms or pain.  She said I would benefit using vagifem long term because my tissues were so poor and the whole area needed to be re-estrogenised. Now 2 years later I’m experiencing awful painful dryness hitting peri menopause.  It feels almost like cystitis.  I’m already on the vagifem twice a week but it’s not helping.  Should I increase the dose?  I’ve read about vaginal moisturisers, do they help?  I’ve got other health issues but this agony is the final straw. 

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem and vaginal dryness agony
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »

Yes to both questions. As you are now so dry the Vagifem may not be dissolving properly, so use a vaginal moisturiser and perhaps redo the loading dose for 2 or 3 weeks. Then you could drop to every other night and see if that is enough. You can also dip the applicator in Sylk before you insert it.

There are many moisturisers to choose from, so that is a case of trial and error. The Yes brand is reputable.

Another possibility, if an increase in Vagifem doesn't help, is to switch to Ovestin which is a cream.

JP x

JEYRE

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:15:57 PM »

Hi Ezzie2020,

I’m a new member and I joined because I have been suffering terribly since October with what I thought was an infection in the urinary tract. I’ve been prescribed three different types of antibiotics and then in December my GP prescribed Vagifem. The dryness sensation has improved enormously but I was still suffering with the awful feeling of needing to urinate constantly. It’s been a miserable few months. My GP prescribed Ovestin cream to use externally in the urethra area (in addition to the Vagifem) and after the first week of daily application, I feel so so much better.  I’m beginning to feel normal again. 🥴.  I’m sleeping better and feel so much more lifted.  There certainly are ways to deal with these awful menopause issues.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:26:48 PM »

It is miserable.

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads.

Use Vagifem every night for 2-3 weeks, if necessary occasionally insert two 'capsules'.  As well as the other ideas, it's a bit Trial and Error.  To ease that 'need to pee' feeling, take pain relief.  I swallow 'nurofen', 2 three times a day for 3 days.  Stops the spincter feeling agitated and irritated.

Once you find a regime, stick to it. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 07:45:38 PM »

Hello JEYRE, welcome to the Forum! I'm pleased to hear Vagifem and Ovestin have worked so well for you, a "good news" story is always cheering.

I should have mentioned to the OP that Ovestin for the outer areas is always a good addition to the armoury against VA, so thanks for mentioning it.

JP x

Postmeno3

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 07:57:38 PM »

I reacted very badly to Estriol for the outer areas. Is Ovestin different in some way? I know Estriol 0.01 is very weak! 😱

JEYRE

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:04:32 PM »

Thank you so much Joaniepat. I’m so pleased I have found this forum as it really helps to read the advice and comments on here. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »

I reacted very badly to Estriol for the outer areas. Is Ovestin different in some way? I know Estriol 0.01 is very weak! 😱
Ovestin has a higher concentration of estriol, 0.1%. Also the base cream has different ingredients.

JP x

Postmeno3

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »

Worth a try? Less likely to irritate urethra?
x

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 09:38:26 PM »

It's all trial and error, unfortunately. However, either can be mixed with a bit of moisturiser at first, which can help while one gets used to the product. I did that with estriol cream and can use it neat now.

JP x

Ezzie2020

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 09:44:23 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.
God I’m in agony right now! Can’t concentrate properly.  Have got a phone appt with my gp so am going to ask for the Ovestin cream to try.  Hopefully will ease that horrible sensation.   Have ordered some moisturiser to try too.
I’ve used forums for other health stuff.  It really helps getting the support and advice from people experiencing the same as you.  How long before that horrible dryness sensation goes?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 10:00:40 PM »

Days, weeks, months .......... the idea is to load the vaginal area with appropriate treatment so that the very thin, sore tissue soaks up and makes more comfortable.  4 me it took about 3-4 weeks 2 feel benefit.

Do you have KY Jelly or similar.  Even a small amount of 'savlon' on the outer area can ease the soreness.

Lyncola

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 04:56:25 AM »

I found for myself two times a week isn’t enough. I’m currently using both Vagifem and Ovestin internally, my current routine that really helping me after 20 months off just Ovestin 9 months, then just Vagifem 11 months, is to use both. I’ve been using both for about 3 months. If you got Facebook there’s a private group for Vaginal Atrophy run by Jane Lewis. She also written a book called- Me and My Menopausal Vagina, which is a great read.

MY CURRENT ROUTINE
Night one - Vagifem internally, Ovestin externally
Night two- Ovestin internally and externally
Night three- Vagifem internally, Ovestin externally
Night four- rest

Every day I use Yes VM morning and afternoon, Olive and Bee at night just before using Ovestin externally. It’s taking along time to get here but I would say I feel 90% plus better. For me it’s always been the external pain that bothers me. I do have the old occasion where I have a flare up and do a two week loading on Vagifem.

It also helps to have a great doctor, she lets me use what I want when I want, and can easily get scripts from her. Best of luck

Ezzie2020

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 09:57:42 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  Will have a look on Facebook.  I need to get in to some kind of a routine.  It all seems to have happened really suddenly so what with everything else I’ve got going on health wise it’s kind of plunged me into a major depression.  Another condition to manage.... great!  Does systemic HRT help with dryness or is it just the topical treatments that are best?  I don’t really want to go down the HRT route.  Just wondered if it added any benefit

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 10:07:33 AM »

Morning.  Some ladies find that HRT helps with VA as well as localised treatments.

Why don't you fancy HRT?  Don't dismiss it as VA can take a while to get under control.  Also, I find that swallowing Nurofen 2 tablets 3 times a day for 3 days eases the need to pee sensations.
Pages: [1] 2 3